Let's discuss the offensive line

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What if he doesn't get that waiver for the class he needs? Or any other kind of academic issue that might get in the way. Remember he gets that athletic academic help while he is on the football team. Hell if he quits the football team he probably has to pay his own way for the semester.

You stay in school and keep working. You are in the program, using their nutrition, their weights, and keep running their plays. You never know, Belachick might die and the Patriots decide they want to run the option and hire Mullinz in May.

Only a fool leaves in January.
The risk of injury is greater than him failing a class and there’s always summer session. There is a precedent for not going through spring practice and then transferring. And if he changed his mind, they would welcome him back like the prodigal son. He turns away a good SEC O lineman? I also doubt this guy needs tutors or other academic help. But in the end, it’s all speculation cause none of us really knows anything. And to think, you accuse J-boss of being an excessive pumper! (I do like the CDM to Pats speculation however.)

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Offensive line play is as much about communication and coordinating of blocking schemes as it is talent. I have no doubt that this year's team will have the talent and depth. But it is unproven talent who has not played together under the pressure of live game situations. Plus a couple of the returning guys with experience have been injury prone. Strength & Conditioning under this coaching staff, plus the pure coaching of technique is so much better than under McElwain. I'm optimistic, but the guys still have to develop the cohesion play after play that it takes to be successful against quality defense. Time will tell how well they will do that, but as much improvement, talent and depth we have at WR, RB, TE and even QB, it's the Winn Dixie guys (the Beef People) who make it all work.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I do if my getting hurt kills my chance at the second job. If he tears an ACL, he’s stuck in Starkville. If he skipped spring practice and spent the time working out, I am sure CDM would still accept his transfer. I would like to be wrong, but this doesn’t sound like a guy who is planning on transferring.

I don't think he's stuck at Msu if he tears an acl. I think we would still take him and rehab him and let him get ready for the NFL the following year if he's 100%. I'd rather him play and contribute to his team before he leaves. I don't see the downside for Reese or Msu.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Breaking down UF's depth chart after spring ball

Offensive Line:

Left Tackle
Stone Forsythe
Richard Gouraige

Left Guard
Brett Heggie
Ethan White

Center
Nick Buchanan
Tanner Rowell OR Kingsley Eguakun

Right Guard
Chris Bleich
T.J. Moore
William Harrod

Right Tackle
Jean Delance
Michael Tarquin

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Offensive Line:

Left Tackle
Stone Forsythe
Richard Gouraige

Left Guard
Brett Heggie
Ethan White

Center
Nick Buchanan
Tanner Rowell OR Kingsley Eguakun

Right Guard
Chris Bleich
T.J. Moore
William Harrod

Right Tackle
Jean Delance
Michael Tarquin

We need DEPTH...youth needs to get Strong and up to speed Quickly...if that is possible? Savage has his job cut out for himself this summer

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
OL is of course the heart of the offense. No offense, passing or running, looks good with a bad OL. We are replacing almost all of ours, so I thought it would be nice to break this out of the other threads.

In spring practice so far it looks like we are running with:

1s
Stone- Heggie- Buchanan- Bleich- DeLance

The center situation sucks.

On Phil Steele's experience chart he says we have the 2nd lowest amount of returning starts on the offensive line to Navy in all of FBS.

I think its a little misleading however since Heggie played almost as much as Fred at RG in some games last season until getting injured.

Watching that spring game which doesn't tell you a whole lot I guess Heggie and Bleich look like they will at least be decent at Guard as they didnt seem to make mistakes hardly and were decent in run blocking - not blowing people off the ball too much but looked pretty decent with that.

Delance was clearly better at RT than Gouraige was at LT. Gouraige looks to be a liability early if he was forced into action.

Stone looked improved but I am not sure he was really tested that much. He seems to have a habit of disengaging too early. When he was forced into action late in 2017 he had that habit also and it caused issues. Hopefully he cleans that up.

Miami is in about the same boat as us with the O line as they have 2 players that are decent but don't know what they are going to get with the other 3 O linemen.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
On Phil Steele's experience chart he says we have the 2nd lowest amount of returning starts on the offensive line to Navy in all of FBS.

I think its a little misleading however since Heggie played almost as much as Fred at RG in some games last season until getting injured.

Watching that spring game which doesn't tell you a whole lot I guess Heggie and Bleich look like they will at least be decent at Guard as they didnt seem to make mistakes hardly and were decent in run blocking - not blowing people off the ball too much but looked pretty decent with that.

Delance was clearly better at RT than Gouraige was at LT. Gouraige looks to be a liability early if he was forced into action.

Stone looked improved but I am not sure he was really tested that much. He seems to have a habit of disengaging too early. When he was forced into action late in 2017 he had that habit also and it caused issues. Hopefully he cleans that up.

Miami is in about the same boat as us with the O line as they have 2 players that are decent but don't know what they are going to get with the other 3 O linemen.

The only frosh who will get significant time is probably going to be Ethan White. And probably only in jumbo packages.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only frosh who will get significant time is probably going to be Ethan White. And probably only in jumbo packages.

We better hope a Tackle doesn't go down early in the season or things could possibly get ugly.

Without Banks I am not sure we have a close backup at any of the positions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We better hope a Tackle doesn't go down early in the season or things could possibly get ugly.

Without Banks I am not sure we have a close backup at any of the positions.

I think we’re still a year away from having quality backups. I think we have a good rotation of about 7 guys. Which means if we lose 2 guys on the oline, we’re going to struggle mightily.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Heggie made 7 starts the previous season before injury. I'm not sure if Steele used those numbers in his stats or not. But other than Buchanan and Forsythe, I think Heggie is the only other player to make a career start.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Heggie made 7 starts the previous season before injury. I'm not sure if Steele used those numbers in his stats or not. But other than Buchanan and Forsythe, I think Heggie is the only other player to make a career start.

He probably did get those 2017 numbers looking at who the starters are. Our O line previous starts number was 24 which would seem about right with I think Stone having a few.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive line play is as much about communication and coordinating of blocking schemes as it is talent. I have no doubt that this year's team will have the talent and depth. But it is unproven talent who has not played together under the pressure of live game situations. Plus a couple of the returning guys with experience have been injury prone. Strength & Conditioning under this coaching staff, plus the pure coaching of technique is so much better than under McElwain. I'm optimistic, but the guys still have to develop the cohesion play after play that it takes to be successful against quality defense. Time will tell how well they will do that, but as much improvement, talent and depth we have at WR, RB, TE and even QB, it's the Winn Dixie guys (the Beef People) who make it all work.
well said

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator