Let's talk about firing the D coaching staff

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Special Teams have gone to hell since Nord left. I'll bet that dude has been working out and is itching and ready to get back into coaching. There's no way he's sitting in his easy chair right now with potato chips on his chin, no sir.
7069528B-73D3-464A-B1DB-8FC0C4FAC934.jpeg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Schematically it looks like a normal Casteel defense?

Im not a fan of 3-3-5 for SEC.

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I want someone with a 2-3 year resume. No one year resumes. Steele has that and has put up good defensive performances against elite offenses over the past 4 years:

2016 Clemson (19 points)
2017 Clemson (14 Points)
2018 Bama (14 points)
2019 UF (24 points)
2019 LSU (23 points).
2020 Ole Miss (28 points)

3 of those teams went on to win the national championship FWIW.

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017

I was looking at statistics over a couple of year period. These guys stood out:

Brandon Scalley, Utah: 5th year DC...trending well.

Clark Lea, Notre Dame

Randy Bates, Pitt

Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington

Randy Shannon, UCF (listed because they ranked 6th overall in yards given up per play last year...he's improving IMO)

Jim Leavitt, FAU

Don Brown, Michigan (I know he coached with Hevesy, and I think he would listen)​

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I want someone with a 2-3 year resume. No one year resumes. Steele has that and has put up good defensive performances against elite offenses over the past 4 years:

2016 Clemson (19 points)
2017 Clemson (14 Points)
2018 Bama (14 points)
2019 UF (24 points)
2019 LSU (23 points).
2020 Ole Miss (28 points)

3 of those teams went on to win the national championship FWIW.
Kevin steele got fired at clempson after freaking west Virginia hung 70 on em. Seriously, 70. He didn't do very well in his one year at LSU either. if I remember correctly. He has done better at Auburn than Grantham has at any of his coaching stops and would be an upgrade for sure but probably not my first choice.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Kevin steele got fired at clempson after freaking west Virginia hung 70 on em. Seriously, 70. He didn't do very well in his one year at LSU either. if I remember correctly. He has done better at Auburn than Grantham has at any of his coaching stops and would be an upgrade for sure but probably not my first choice.

The error is using dwag as a measuring stick.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Mullen needs to grow a pair. This is inexcusable. The Vandy QB was a true freshman and their OL had 4 players opt out this season (not all were starters). TG cost us an opportunity today to get our 2's (on both sides of the ball) extensive playing time - we were forced to play our 1's much longer than necessary (hell, Trask played on the last drive before they put EJ in). This is classic Muschamp & Butters years where we were in tight games vs. "easy" teams. The Missouri and UGA games gave TG a pass for the earlier f'ck ups, but this game re-opened those wounds. He needs to go...and Mullen needs to grow a pair. I'm guessing when Alabama rips us a new a-hole that may finally do it.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Mullen needs to grow a pair. This is inexcusable. The Vandy QB was a true freshman and their OL had 4 players opt out this season (not all were starters). TG cost us an opportunity today to get our 2's (on both sides of the ball) extensive playing time - we were forced to play our 1's much longer than necessary (hell, Trask played on the last drive before they put EJ in). This is classic Muschamp & Butters years where we were in tight games vs. "easy" teams. The Missouri and UGA games gave TG a pass for the earlier f'ck ups, but this game re-opened those wounds. He needs to go...and Mullen needs to grow a pair. I'm guessing when Alabama rips us a new a-hole that may finally do it.
Well it looks like some of the beat writers are starting to comment on the ****ty D. That will hopefully light a fire under Mullen's ass.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We just let an opportunity slip away to allow younger players to get significant reps vs. an 0-6 opponent. This is exactly what Will Muschamp and Jim "Butters" McElwain teams did - allow weaker teams to take us to the wire. Kyle Trask played the first few plays of our LAST drive in this game - as a 31 point favorite.

Mullen said in the post-game presser that he had to tell Grantham to start rotating in younger players. Otherwise, it would have been more of Donovan Stiner, Marco Wilson, Brad Stewart, and Shawn Davis missing tackles and allowing deep passes. The Vandy QB was a true freshman!

Read this article. Why does the head coach have to tell the DC to rotate in the younger guys? It's absolutely mind blowing.

Another iffy defensive game will send Mullen back into eval mode

No. 6 Florida gave up 406 yards to Vanderbilt, looked lost at times on defense and once again was victim of the big play. It's a recurring theme for the Gators at this point, but slow starts from the defense are no longer surprising.

Vanderbilt scored on its first two drives, then finally the defense settled in and gave up only one other scoring drive the rest of the game.

Still, it was a handful of familiar faces that seemed to struggle against the Commodores. Nickelback Brad Stewart was torched a few times early on key downs. Safeties Shawn Davis and Donovan Stiner took bad angles on a simple post to receiver Chris Pierce that went for a 58-yard touchdown as both missed tackles. The Gators just generally weren't very impressive in a 38-17 win on Saturday.

"I feel like, it feels good that we closed them out but I think if we just come out with that same energy as we did when we were playing well..." cornerback Kaiir Elam said after the game, voice trailing off. "Like I think that basically they scored way too points today, honestly."

Elam was also victimized by the Commodores, giving up a 16-yard touchdown pass on the first drive of the game to Pierce.

Florida wasn't set well defensively on the play, another recurring problem for the defense. With players communicating poorly, Elam wasn't aligned properly and Pierce made short work of him, getting inside on the post for an easy score, despite Elam making a strong effort to break things up late.

"On that touchdown I gave up, I was looking over, the whole defense was looking over for the play," Elam said. "They were going fast. My linebacker called me over, because the tight end lined up out and the wide receiver lined up in. But we're too busy looking for the play so we didn't get (to) communicate, get lined up and they already snapped the ball. So I had to try my best to get the ball.

"And then, I'm supposed to be inside leverage. I mean, it’s just something we've got to go faster, get the call to get lined up. But I think, I mean you've just got to play, just trust what coach (Todd) Grantham is telling us to do. And I think we have to clean it up, especially where we want to go: SEC Championship, national championship."

Nearly a third of the questions for Mullen in his post-game press conference were about the play of the defense. Namely because Florida's offense, even despite a sloppy performance on Saturday, seems good enough to win championships.

The defense?

Not so much, even though Mullen has said he's seen incremental progress on that side of the ball.

After so many veterans appeared to struggle with recurring problems in the game, Florida went more heavily to a handful of young players in the contest. Guys like linebacker Ty'Ron Hopper, defensive end Khris Bogle and true freshman defensive lineman Gervon Dexter all made some impact plays late.

Mullen, though, said that it wasn't necessarily a message to the veterans but an oversight of not getting those guys involved earlier.

"No, it was a concerted effort from me to get guys in the game the whole game," he said after the game, a bit tersely. "I want to roll guys early, I don't think we did defensively. I think offensively we did a good job of that, on defense I was a little disappointed. I got on it, we haven't been rolling guys and I'm like 'Hey, I want to roll these guys through.' We've got a long season, you've got to develop guys, we've got to stay fresh for four quarters and the best way to do that is roll guys through and build depth and experience. And you've got to do it early in the game and I don't think; that's something I will address: that that wasn't done earlier in the game."

Bottom line is that Florida will continue evaluating the defense to figure out why things haven't been progressing quicker. So far change has been slow.

At this point, it's a valid question whether that unit will improve enough or quickly enough to be able to hang with what will likely be Alabama in a presumed SEC Championship Game matchup.

"We had breakdowns on both sides of the ball that were at times disappointing," Mullen told reporters after the game. "I know you guys look at it, OK, is it a missed tackle? That’s easy. Is it a missed tackle because we had a poor angle on the ball, is it a missed tackle because we had a missed tackle, is it a missed tackle for poor effort, is it a missed tackle because we had the wrong guy in a situation to maybe make that play one on one, was it a good call? Everything that you look at. ...

"And then we go study it with Todd what were good calls and bad calls. There’s the myriad of things you continue to go look at to make sure we’re doing a good job."

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
We just let an opportunity slip away to allow younger players to get significant reps vs. an 0-6 opponent. This is exactly what Will Muschamp and Jim "Butters" McElwain teams did - allow weaker teams to take us to the wire. Kyle Trask played the first few plays of our LAST drive in this game - as a 31 point favorite.

Mullen said in the post-game presser that he had to tell Grantham to start rotating in younger players. Otherwise, it would have been more of Donovan Stiner, Marco Wilson, Brad Stewart, and Shawn Davis missing tackles and allowing deep passes. The Vandy QB was a true freshman!

Read this article. Why does the head coach have to tell the DC to rotate in the younger guys? It's absolutely mind blowing.

No. 6 Florida gave up 406 yards to Vanderbilt, looked lost at times on defense and once again was victim of the big play. It's a recurring theme for the Gators at this point, but slow starts from the defense are no longer surprising.

Vanderbilt scored on its first two drives, then finally the defense settled in and gave up only one other scoring drive the rest of the game.

Still, it was a handful of familiar faces that seemed to struggle against the Commodores. Nickelback Brad Stewart was torched a few times early on key downs. Safeties Shawn Davis and Donovan Stiner took bad angles on a simple post to receiver Chris Pierce that went for a 58-yard touchdown as both missed tackles. The Gators just generally weren't very impressive in a 38-17 win on Saturday.

"I feel like, it feels good that we closed them out but I think if we just come out with that same energy as we did when we were playing well..." cornerback Kaiir Elam said after the game, voice trailing off. "Like I think that basically they scored way too points today, honestly."

Elam was also victimized by the Commodores, giving up a 16-yard touchdown pass on the first drive of the game to Pierce.

Florida wasn't set well defensively on the play, another recurring problem for the defense. With players communicating poorly, Elam wasn't aligned properly and Pierce made short work of him, getting inside on the post for an easy score, despite Elam making a strong effort to break things up late.

"On that touchdown I gave up, I was looking over, the whole defense was looking over for the play," Elam said. "They were going fast. My linebacker called me over, because the tight end lined up out and the wide receiver lined up in. But we're too busy looking for the play so we didn't get (to) communicate, get lined up and they already snapped the ball. So I had to try my best to get the ball.

"And then, I'm supposed to be inside leverage. I mean, it’s just something we've got to go faster, get the call to get lined up. But I think, I mean you've just got to play, just trust what coach (Todd) Grantham is telling us to do. And I think we have to clean it up, especially where we want to go: SEC Championship, national championship."

Nearly a third of the questions for Mullen in his post-game press conference were about the play of the defense. Namely because Florida's offense, even despite a sloppy performance on Saturday, seems good enough to win championships.

The defense?

Not so much, even though Mullen has said he's seen incremental progress on that side of the ball.

After so many veterans appeared to struggle with recurring problems in the game, Florida went more heavily to a handful of young players in the contest. Guys like linebacker Ty'Ron Hopper, defensive end Khris Bogle and true freshman defensive lineman Gervon Dexter all made some impact plays late.

Mullen, though, said that it wasn't necessarily a message to the veterans but an oversight of not getting those guys involved earlier.

"No, it was a concerted effort from me to get guys in the game the whole game," he said after the game, a bit tersely. "I want to roll guys early, I don't think we did defensively. I think offensively we did a good job of that, on defense I was a little disappointed. I got on it, we haven't been rolling guys and I'm like 'Hey, I want to roll these guys through.' We've got a long season, you've got to develop guys, we've got to stay fresh for four quarters and the best way to do that is roll guys through and build depth and experience. And you've got to do it early in the game and I don't think; that's something I will address: that that wasn't done earlier in the game."

Bottom line is that Florida will continue evaluating the defense to figure out why things haven't been progressing quicker. So far change has been slow.

At this point, it's a valid question whether that unit will improve enough or quickly enough to be able to hang with what will likely be Alabama in a presumed SEC Championship Game matchup.

"We had breakdowns on both sides of the ball that were at times disappointing," Mullen told reporters after the game. "I know you guys look at it, OK, is it a missed tackle? That’s easy. Is it a missed tackle because we had a poor angle on the ball, is it a missed tackle because we had a missed tackle, is it a missed tackle for poor effort, is it a missed tackle because we had the wrong guy in a situation to maybe make that play one on one, was it a good call? Everything that you look at. ...

"And then we go study it with Todd what were good calls and bad calls. There’s the myriad of things you continue to go look at to make sure we’re doing a good job."

Get ready to post this again after the UK game. lol

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017

It's what you've done recently that is the best predictor of your success. 4 years is a pretty large sample size. He's only allowed 40 or more points once in that time span.

He's gone up against Baker Mayfield (35 points), Deshaun Watson (19 points), Joe Burrow twice (22 points and 23 points), Kyle Trask (24 points), Matt Corral (28 points), and Justin Herbert (21 points). The guy has a large enough sample size over 4 years where he has proven without a doubt that he can stop offenses with elite QBs. And he's not doing it with Bama and UGA talent.

The only offense that routed him in a 4 year period was Tua, Jeudy, Ruggs, and Smith. Bama scored 45 points last year, but 7 points came from a Waddle kickoff return, and Auburn got 2 pick sixes to help win the game last year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.