Let's talk about firing the D coaching staff

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
The head coach decides who his coordinators are. If Mullen is unhappy with how his D-coordinator is running the D, then it’s on Mullen to do something about it. Until then, the buck stops with Mullen. Period. Put more succinctly, hire a better D-coordinator already and stop bythcing about your current terrible choice!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is that Mullen considers this a personnel issue far more than a coaching issue. I think he loves Grantham. Expecting him to fire him is a fantasy.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
For those of us who are members of the Tribe (Chosen People), there is a holiday in which the youngest male child is assigned to read 4 questions at the dinner. The first question is: "Why is this night different than all other nights"?

Well I have changed the wording a bit regarding our defense and ask, "why is this game different than any other game?" Wash Rinse, Repeat! Can't line up, don;t know assignments, busts almost every play, a 5 yd slant pass with no defender within 10 yards, etc. etc etc. etc and so on and so on and so on.

Look we all know you have to score more than ever to win, but we are not even VIABLE on defense. We have played 2 teams with good offenses, 2 teams with average offenses and 3 with below average. We can't stop any offense, and we can barely slow the crummy offenses. therefore we will have no chance to slow a Good or great offense. Yes Vandy only scored 17 points, but they more than held there own when they had the ball. It is nice that our final 3 games are against offenses that rank no better than average, but given that, we have to be almost perfect offensively to win.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If it’s personnel, then recruit better coach! Either way, there’s a deficiency within Dan’s program!
Removing assistant coaches is not Mullen's strong suit. Settle in. The defense is likely to be even worse last year when the rest of Mac's players leave.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is that Mullen considers this a personnel issue far more than a coaching issue. I think he loves Grantham. Expecting him to fire him is a fantasy.
Sooner or later personal issues get you fired. He's proven to me that he can produce an offense. Fix the damned defense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You guys seem to forget that Dan Mullen has never actually won ANYTHING in 12 years as a head coach. 12 years. He has a lot of weaknesses.

He's not going to do a damn thing about the defense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Couldn’t sub early because of vandy’s tempo on the first couple of drives. Not getting a play called without the offense making any substitutions is all on the coach.
Players looking to the sideline when the ball is snapped and not knowing what to do this late in the season is absolutely inexcusable.
I wish Mullen would DEMAND we dumb down the defense like we were forced to do against the dwags. It’s our only hope.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You guys seem to forget that Dan Mullen has never actually won ANYTHING in 12 years as a head coach. 12 years. He has a lot of weaknesses.

He wasn't going to have an offense either. Just his same old RPO. He's showed me something.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He wasn't going to have an offense either. Just his same old RPO. He's showed me something.
It's amazing what stumbling into a great QB and being dragged kicking and screaming into an offense can do. It's too bad it will be back to sideways next year. I'll bet Mullen can't wait.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's amazing what stumbling into a great QB and being dragged kicking and screaming into an offense can do. It's too bad it will be back to sideways next year. I'll bet Mullen can't wait.
Next year? It was 80% of today's offense.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Take it from an old dog. Medium old dogs, that's Mullen, can learn new tricks. He took donkey's trash and turned him into gold. He proved, probably to himself, that he can coach conventional QB's and he can run offensive schemes to match their skills. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's broadened his thinking. Yeah, next year it looks like he'll have to go sideways again. But don't fall down in shock if he goes after some pro style passers in future recruiting. Suddenly he got the creds to do it.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So how do you describe the playbook today?

Especially when EJ is on the field. Same old 2005 Mullinz.
Of course it's the same playbook with EJ. I've been checking out the analysis of what he's doing with Trask. It ain't what he's running when EJ's in. Did you really expect that from Mr. option run, then pass only if you're desperate. I didn't. So when I saw that, I fell over and started flopping around like a fish. It was ugly. :)

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Zero championships.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Going to continue the argument for why I like Steele as a replacement for Grantham:

Tennessee scored 21 points vs. Georgia
Tennessee scored 17 points vs. Auburn and threw a pick 6
Tennessee scored 17 points vs. Bama
Tennessee scored 13 points vs. Arkansas
Tennessee scored 7 points vs. Kentucky

Ole Miss scored 35 points vs. Florida
Ole Miss scored 41 points vs. Kentucky
Ole Miss scored 48 points vs. Bama
Ole Miss scored 35 points vs. Florida
Ole Miss scored 21 points vs. Arkansas
Ole Miss scored 28 points vs. Auburn (1 TD, 2 INT)

Steele has been pretty good the past 3 weeks. Didn't include LSU because they lost Brennan to injury. Not a fair comparison. However, he's right on the heels of Odom, who many people want. Also, another interesting statistic I dug up:

2019 yards per play average:

Ohio State: 4.1 yards per play
Georgia: 4.3 yards per play
Clemson: 4.5 yards per play
Auburn: 4.8 yards per play
Bama: 4.8 yards per play
Florida: 4.9 yards per play

So Steele led the SEC West last year in average yards given up per play last year. I like that statistic because it controls for crappy offense that puts the defense on the field more, or quick strike offenses that put the defense on the field more. Auburn was just as good as Bama on a play for play basis last year on defense. The difference between Bama and Auburn is offense. Also Grantham is up there because he dominates the lesser teams and then he got rocked by UGA and LSU. So on average he is pretty good, but its the standard deviation that kills Grantham.

2020 yards per play average:

Kentucky: 5.0 yards per play
Georgia: 5.0 yards per play
Auburn: 5.3 yards per play
Bama: 5.4 yards per play
Arkansas: 5.5 yards per play
Florida: 6.1 yards per play

Steele has Auburn leading the SEC West in yards per play right now, but they finish the year off with Bama, A&M, and Mississippi State. Also don't know if tonight's stats are included. So that could change. However, Bama doesn't have to play Bama either. So, I think it is a somewhat fair comparison right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator