LF7 taking a swing

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else see LF throw a punch during the game? Isn't this supposed to be a penalty and ejection?

[video]https://vine.co/v/e9MwlZW67Ig/embed[/video]

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I saw it clearly as it was. Could have been ejected (sure deserves it, being so flagrant). Certainly a punch.

gat0rjay

Sep 7, 2014
Ehhh. I'll have to disagree. I really don't think his intent was a punch. Dude runs hard - that's just the mentality. We gang tackled him back five or six times, and often continued well after the whistle. I have no problem with that either. It was a physical match up. I think both sides had a lot of respect for the battle. Watching him run really is quite impressive (just wish that hadn't of been the case vs us). But unfortunately he got the better of us this time. Hopefully we get another shot.

And also, I really don't think he's dumb enough to punch a helmet anyway. More likely, at the speed of live game action, he was trying to force Maye's grip off and his hand went high. But who knows. I really don't care. I wouldn't want to win due to his being ejected anyway.

I'll also say that other than that fumble call, which I guess I'm okay with b/c of the original call on the field - and video evidence wasn't 100% conclusive (but if it had been ruled a recovery initially I think it would have had to have stood as such, b/c it wasn't conclusively OB either) - so unlucky break - but I think the refs did a pretty good job. Picking up that late hit flag was probably right (but Neal really didn't need to give them any decision to make).

Only thing I'm bothered by is that 2nd quarter, and the secondary's abysmal performance throughout. They need to talk less trash and practice some more instead. One or two plays by the secondary and we win by 7-14 (even with the mediocre QB play, which obviously could have been better, but was no doubt serviceable).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My problem with it is Fournette tried to stiff arm the tackler away. When that did not work he resorted to a
swinging punch which did drive his tackler back. That's against the rules.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think he threw a punch. While we didn't stop Fournette we contained him pretty much and prevented any super long runs. His longest run of the night was 25 yards. I think he got frustrated with the Florida defense and he lost his cool in a close game and threw a punch. To call Fournette out on this or to suspend him would not fit the political agenda of the Heisman trophy selection committee. Here we have Leonard Fournette from the poor side of New Orleans whose city was a victim of Hurricane Katrina who just one week prior was given a pass on auctioning his autographed jersey to the highest bidder to benefit the flood victims of South Carolina. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but anybody else who would have thrown this punch would have had a penalty flag particularly if he had been wearing a blue uniform and the referees would have heard the boos going up from the crowd.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Joe, you made me realize the "advertising campaign" tactic of his publicized jersey auction for victims. Just right for the
finest character required for a Heisman winner. Still, it's a huge improvement over that Jameis thing past.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He also said someone poked him in the eye in the pile....maybe this was after that. But seriously, it's football. Lighten up. We lost, let's move on.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It was definitely a punch and he could have been penalized but what the heh. There was a little home cooking but I hate officials in general. The non penalty when Leonard moved early was more critical and I thot we got hosed on the fumble recovery but the refs showed reasonable restraint for the most part. We had our chances. The worst Faux Pas in the game was the fact that the entire coaching staff had their collective head up their asses with that fake field goal. Come on already.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
That could be called either way.. I think it's just trying to throw off a defender. If I were the ref, I'd let it go.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a punch. Was trying to break Maye's grip. Maye should have tried tackling him better instead of going for the football.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Swamp Queen;n299787 said:
He also said someone poked him in the eye in the pile....maybe this was after that. But seriously, it's football. Lighten up. We lost, let's move on.

I remember him getting up jawing with a couple of UF defenders while cleaning his eyes out. I thought he just had grass or something in them. So many bodies in the pile, it could have been one of his own guys. Who knows.

I'm sure if it is discovered to have been an intentional thing by one of our guys, Mac will make sure it is dealt with, and there will be hell to pay.

Also, that wasn't a punch, he was trying to get Maye off of him, which he did. Then Maye was involved in the tackle. Maye didn't get up and go after him as if he had a punch thrown at him.

Much ado about nothing, as always.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doubt one of our players would have gotten away with drawing a fist back and walloping their player, especially
when F7 is the one everyone watches.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Whats the difference between this and the hand in the face penalty we were called for?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Not a punch, just a guy running hard and playing hard.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
NavetG8r;n299915 said:
Watched the video, didn't hear him say he threw a punch one time. He even said he couldn't pinpoint who poked him or how he got poked in the eye, only that it happened while in the pile.

He gave a lot of credit to UF's defense for playing hard, but then again, what's he supposed to say?

Hard fought game, emotions were running high. I just don't see a guy throwing a punch in mid run. After the play is over, maybe, but not in mid run, that was a "get off me" swipe more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.