Gator Baseball Looking ahead to the MLB Draft and the impact on Gators

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So, ESPN just released their (Keith Law's) Top 30 prospects for the 2019 MLB Draft. I opened it up with the pure intent of seeing where some of the Gator recruits (and/or current players) were expected to go.\

I thought this might be a good time to start a thread where we can follow this from now through the draft and through the signings of the players.

Based on Law's rankings, it looks like we have 3 commits ranked in his top 30 and no current players:

8. Matthew Allan, RHP, Seminole HS, Sanford, Florida: The 6-foot-3 Florida commit has been 93-97 mph early this spring with a plus curveball and feel for a changeup.

17. Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS, Oviedo, Florida: Greene is considered one of the best pure high school hitters in the class, with some power to go with it, but below-average tools everywhere else probably limits him to left field. That profile hasn't gone well with recent high school hitters taken in the first round (Trent Grisham, Billy McKinney).

27. Hunter Barco, LHP, Bolles School, Jacksonville, Florida:Barco was 90-95 mph this week with an improved slider and now a splitter. He has his arm slot higher after he finished last summer with a lower slot and reduced velocity, so he's back in the late-first-round discussion.

So, it looks like as usual Sully is recruiting some elite talent. The only downside to that is that we now need to sweat where these guys go in the draft and whether or not they ever wear the Gator jersey. Keep in mind, these guys are likely all gone as it is very rare to turn down the 1st round. The next concern becomes what commits/players we have in the next tier that may opt for the contract even outside of the 1st round rather than playing in Gainesville.

Keith Law's top 30 2019 MLB draft prospects

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanx for posting. I don;t follow the committs that closely but safe to say that these 3 guys will not sign at UF if drafted in the 1st round. Doubt any pitcher is going to make the same mistake Karsten Whitson did. As for our current players, it appeared that Dyson was headed to be a 1st round pick after the Supers and World Series 2 seasons ago, but after last year and this year's beginning he looks more like a 5th rounder or higher. To me it will be interesting if Dalton and Langworthy get drafted? both are good players but neither does anything exceptionally well so doubtful they get drafted very high. I think one or both could return for a senior year.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Thanx for posting. I don;t follow the committs that closely but safe to say that these 3 guys will not sign at UF if drafted in the 1st round. Doubt any pitcher is going to make the same mistake Karsten Whitson did. As for our current players, it appeared that Dyson was headed to be a 1st round pick after the Supers and World Series 2 seasons ago, but after last year and this year's beginning he looks more like a 5th rounder or higher. To me it will be interesting if Dalton and Langworthy get drafted? both are good players but neither does anything exceptionally well so doubtful they get drafted very high. I think one or both could return for a senior year.
Here's the link to our 2019 baseball commits. When it comes up you have to enter 2019 in the class box and Florida in the commitment box. Quite a big class, although Crisp & Fabian are still listed since they should both still be in high school.: Prep Baseball Report > Florida > Commitments

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I expect Langworthy to come back for his senior season and be a captain. Not sure about Dalton, but I hope he comes back for another year. Baseball recruiting is always tricky, as there are only just under 12 scholarships to split among all those guys. And you have to try to find the highest ranked players who want to go to college. O'Sullivan has done a great job in splitting those hairs and keep quality talent coming in year after year.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Speaking of those 12 schollies, I think the Voles signed 21 players. Did they gradulate their entire class?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.