Looking at a Dell XPS laptop

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think most people except Crete were joking about Acer.
Acer is pretty cheap stuff but that works for me at home because it's strictly for goofing around on the internet. I flat out REFUSE to use a phone for anything except talking and maybe texting once in a while. I've had the current Acer for 3 years and it has probably endured more abuse than any 10 laptops combined. It's been dropped, walked on by cats, probably had at least 5 gallons of coffee and beer spilled on it, chicken wing and bar b que sauce splattered on it as well as an endless assortment of pretzel, popcorn and nacho chip crumbs lodged into the keyboard......and it's still ticking....I killed my last Dell in less than 18 month's .
However no one should ever take any electronic advice from me because I know little about them and care even less to.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Acer is pretty cheap stuff but that works for me at home because it's strictly for goofing around on the internet. I flat out REFUSE to use a phone for anything except talking and maybe texting once in a while. I've had the current Acer for 3 years and it has probably endured more abuse than any 10 laptops combined. It's been dropped, walked on by cats, probably had at least 5 gallons of coffee and beer spilled on it, chicken wing and bar b que sauce splattered on it as well as an endless assortment of pretzel, popcorn and nacho chip crumbs lodged into the keyboard......and it's still ticking....I killed my last Dell in less than 18 month's .
However no one should ever take any electronic advice from me because I know little about them and care even less to.
Acer is a good computer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have a vaio and an asus computer. The vaio is fantastic, just an excellent machine and withstood a year in the sandbox without missing a beat.

My asus is a small notebook that is literally the size of one with touchscreen, hdmi, large HD, etc. It's got everything minus an optical drive and is fantastic and goes with me everywhere. I paid $270 for it on newegg 4 years ago; I basically stole it for that price.

Recommend either of those systems. Haven't owned a Lenovo but have only heard good things about them.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Follow up:
So I ended up buying the XPS 13 and got it in 2 days. When I received the laptop it was DOA (dead on arrival). The laptop did not turn on. No light was coming on and when I tested the power supply I confirmed that it was not working. I called Dell and talked to their tech who walked me through some annoying basic steps for 30 minutes then handed me off to customer service to set up a replacement. The person told me that it would probably be two weeks before I received a replacement due to lack of availability. I told them they could just do a return and I would simply buy another one but he said the only way to get the discounts that I had was to do the replacement option. I told him that the least they could do is send it out overnight when it became available, since after all this is their problem and he said he didn't have the authority to approve that. I finally gave up.

To my absolute surprise, I received a brand new computer the next day at 10 am. I have no idea what the deal was with the customer service rep but I guess it was sent out automatically.

Anyway, new computer works great. It is exactly what I was expecting with great battery life. The thing is super tiny and lightweight, great for dragging back and forth to work.

I have bought probably 20 computers and never received a DOA previously so I was pretty disappointed at first. Even more angry after talking to their customer service, but their actual customer service was pretty good. I am definitely happy with the end product.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Follow up:
So I ended up buying the XPS 13 and got it in 2 days. When I received the laptop it was DOA (dead on arrival). The laptop did not turn on. No light was coming on and when I tested the power supply I confirmed that it was not working. I called Dell and talked to their tech who walked me through some annoying basic steps for 30 minutes then handed me off to customer service to set up a replacement. The person told me that it would probably be two weeks before I received a replacement due to lack of availability. I told them they could just do a return and I would simply buy another one but he said the only way to get the discounts that I had was to do the replacement option. I told him that the least they could do is send it out overnight when it became available, since after all this is their problem and he said he didn't have the authority to approve that. I finally gave up.

To my absolute surprise, I received a brand new computer the next day at 10 am. I have no idea what the deal was with the customer service rep but I guess it was sent out automatically.

Anyway, new computer works great. It is exactly what I was expecting with great battery life. The thing is super tiny and lightweight, great for dragging back and forth to work.

I have bought probably 20 computers and never received a DOA previously so I was pretty disappointed at first. Even more angry after talking to their customer service, but their actual customer service was pretty good. I am definitely happy with the end product.
Good to hear you were taken care of especially when dealing with large companies anymore. It seems that the larger the company the more ignorant they want the CSR's to be. At least you were under promised and over delivered instead of the other way around.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Follow up:
So I ended up buying the XPS 13 and got it in 2 days. When I received the laptop it was DOA (dead on arrival). The laptop did not turn on.
Does anyone have any quality control at all anymore?

Are we to the point that we think it's good if they sell us a dead hunk of shyt and then manage to honor the responsibility of their warranty?

Last edited:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone have any quality control at all anymore?

Are we to the point that we think it's good if they sell us a dead hunk of shyt and then manage to honor the responsibility of their warranty?
No kidding. It wasn't like this was a $300 inspiron POS either. It was their XPS line. I was pretty shocked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No kidding. It wasn't like this was a $300 inspiron POS either. It was their XPS line. I was pretty shocked.
Hell, even for a $300 computer, which isn't even a loss leader anymore, shouldn't someone check the damn thing before it ships? Or at least spot check? This happens too damn often to think even spot checks are going on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator