Looking for a GC in the Space Coast Area for a small job

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Any Recommendations?

Suffered roof damage due to Hurricane Matthew.

I believe the whole roof needs to be replaced (the Insurance Adjustor said it was borderline, but she agreed).

Had leaks into the home. Dry out crew cut a couple of small holes in the ceiling and ran fans and dehumidifiers for a few days. Some damage to gutters, outside carriage-style light, and concrete curbs around landscaping (cracked due to lifting roots, but I don't think this is covered).

Instead of hiring a roofer, a drywall guy, a painter, etc., I prefer to hire a single GC, get an estimate, then haggle it out with the insurance company.

It's already been far too long with blue tarps on my roof. Everybody I've called is too busy.

Anybody know anybody?

Alex.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That don't sound like a small job.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
You're probably going to have to go to someone outside your immediate area. My condo association in Crescent Beach hired a GC out of Tampa that specializes in restoration work. I'll post contact information for them later but I don't know how much more they can take on.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It's already been far too long with blue tarps on my roof. Everybody I've called is too busy.

Anybody know anybody
That's always seems to be the problem with any contractors these days. In the last 18 months I've replaced 3 roofs, had new windows installed on our office building, a new fire escape, as well as 2 bathroom remodels in our house and now I'm in the process of getting our dock and seawall rebuilt.....It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out just getting people to show up and do a quote let alone getting the work started and finished.... hang in there man, it may take a while....

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
That's always seems to be the problem with any contractors these days. In the last 18 months I've replaced 3 roofs, had new windows installed on our office building, a new fire escape, as well as 2 bathroom remodels in our house and now I'm in the process of getting our dock and seawall rebuilt.....It's enough to make you want to pull your hair out just getting people to show up and do a quote let alone getting the work started and finished.... hang in there man, it may take a while....

Welcome to Florida! When I lived in northern Virginia, you could easily get anything you wanted done quickly and well although you had a pay a fortune to do so. Here is Florida, it is sometimes impossible to get anything done regardless of what you are willing to pay. Some years ago I had a requirement for a large freestanding sign which cost over $15,000 and it was hard to even get people to come and quote the job.

I will say that RestoreALL, the folks doing my condo, were very quick to get work started to minimize further damage.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
One other thing to mention Alex, it probably won't be any less expensive to try and have a single contractor bid the whole thing because they're more than likely gonna sub out parts anyway and want to take their cut off the top. I'd start with the roof and go from there and work my way down.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any Recommendations?

I believe the whole roof needs to be replaced (the Insurance Adjustor said it was borderline, but she agreed).

Had leaks into the home. Dry out crew cut a couple of small holes in the ceiling and ran fans and dehumidifiers for a few days. Some damage to gutters, outside carriage-style light, and concrete curbs around landscaping (cracked due to lifting roots, but I don't think this is covered).

Instead of hiring a roofer, a drywall guy, a painter, etc., I prefer to hire a single GC, get an estimate, then haggle it out with the insurance company.

Anybody know anybody?

Alex.
Couple questions for you...

Why are you wanting a GC? Is it a time issue that you don't have? As already stated, a GC is going to charge more therefore your insurance company would pay more.

Typically, insurance companies can provide recommendations for licensed contractors that they've worked with in the past. Have you asked them?

As crete mentioned, I'd start with a trusted roofer and have that and any framing issues resolved. When you get to the drywall patching/texturing/painting, this is a different kind of labor person and there aren't really any licenses persons in this field. However, if you get a good one hired, they usually know other great ones in the business. i.e. Find a great interior painter and they know a great drywall guy and a great texture guy.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Couple questions for you...

Why are you wanting a GC? Is it a time issue that you don't have? As already stated, a GC is going to charge more therefore your insurance company would pay more.

Typically, insurance companies can provide recommendations for licensed contractors that they've worked with in the past. Have you asked them?

As crete mentioned, I'd start with a trusted roofer and have that and any framing issues resolved. When you get to the drywall patching/texturing/painting, this is a different kind of labor person and there aren't really any licenses persons in this field. However, if you get a good one hired, they usually know other great ones in the business. i.e. Find a great interior painter and they know a great drywall guy and a great texture guy.
This....Roofers aren't going to want to mess with interior.....I have a great roofing company but they don't even mess with gutters, which you would think go hand in hand. However interior guys often can direct you to other guys.....plumbers often know tile guys and painters often have contacts who do drywall replacement/repair....Anyone who is good at anything is usually very busy and it will take a while for them to fit you in..

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any Recommendations?

Anybody know anybody?

Alex.

First thing I learned years ago. Don't do work for churches or lawyers. :p

Alex
This roofing contractor did a tear-off and re-roof for a home I remodeled in Winter Park. They have 2 offices in Florida, one in Oveida and one in Jacksonviile. I had them quote several apartment projects in jacksonville and they were very competitive, but the property owner wound up having the seller contract the work. They work all over the southeast and are pros. They left the site immaculate which is rare. Ask for Elmer and tell him you would like them to quote your paint and drywall repairs separately.

http://cfproroofing.com/home

I think I saw where you moved into this area in the last year or so. Another place to start for the other trades if you decide to separate the work is your real estate agent. They generally have a couple of qualified people they would recommend. I would be happy to answer any questions.
Cooter

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think I saw where you moved into this area in the last year or so. Another place to start for the other trades if you decide to separate the work is your real estate agent. They generally have a couple of qualified people they would recommend. I would be happy to answer any questions.
Cooter
Ding Ding Ding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.