Looking for advice on my car dilemma

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not a car guy at all. A novice on what to do and certainly not a DIY guy when it comes to automobiles. I’m at a fork in the road and would love some advice for those that know more.

I have a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner and been the only owner. I have just over 197k miles. I’ve always been very good at routine maintenance but as of late things have slipped a little. Cosmetically, it’s in mint condition, other than interior carpet and fabric seats having stains due to having 2 boys now 5 & 6.

Recently I noticed oil spots on the driveway and it shimmies a little when starting up while cold. Tires are worn and in need of replacement. I took it to a local shop that I trust to get some diagnosis. Here’s what I found out...

Oil spots were due to drain plug being loose (no biggie)
Front breaks need complete replacement (I knew that was coming)
Front wheel barrings are shot
Catalytic converter is shot
I have coolant leaking into a head gasket (confirmed via scoped?)
There’s a potential for a cracked block? (That’s what I was told)
Need 4 new tires

So... do I dump a bunch of money into repairs or cut my losses and go with something else? I love not having a car payment. I’ve been told there a possibility of getting a repurposed engine from a totaled car that could be an option. My wife is now terrified for me to drive kids in the car.

What would you do?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Buy something a few years old that is certified good. Put another 197K miles on it. You did good, man. Road that thing into the ground. Now it's time to get a new horse.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Just do what works for me.....Tell your Wife to get off her ass and buy you a new car....

If you're not mechanically inclined to save the labor I would do like Salami said above. Get a 2 or 3 year old pre owned and certified vehicle. Believe it or not you will probably be able to get 5-6k for your trade because import/export guys will sell that thing in C.America for 10-12K....Toyota's certainly hold their value...I don't like car payments either but with auto interest rates even on used it's like free money and beats the sh!t out of making payments to the mechanic shop just to keep it running.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not a car guy at all. A novice on what to do and certainly not a DIY guy when it comes to automobiles. I’m at a fork in the road and would love some advice for those that know more.

I have a 2004 Toyota 4-Runner and been the only owner. I have just over 197k miles. I’ve always been very good at routine maintenance but as of late things have slipped a little. Cosmetically, it’s in mint condition, other than interior carpet and fabric seats having stains due to having 2 boys now 5 & 6.

Recently I noticed oil spots on the driveway and it shimmies a little when starting up while cold. Tires are worn and in need of replacement. I took it to a local shop that I trust to get some diagnosis. Here’s what I found out...

Oil spots were due to drain plug being loose (no biggie)
Front breaks need complete replacement (I knew that was coming)
Front wheel barrings are shot
Catalytic converter is shot
I have coolant leaking into a head gasket (confirmed via scoped?)
There’s a potential for a cracked block? (That’s what I was told)
Need 4 new tires

So... do I dump a bunch of money into repairs or cut my losses and go with something else? I love not having a car payment. I’ve been told there a possibility of getting a repurposed engine from a totaled car that could be an option. My wife is now terrified for me to drive kids in the car.

What would you do?
The head gasket is your highest dollar problem. That job alone will likely cost you way more than the vehicle is worth.

The other stuff are smaller issues, but fixable, and with the right people, not as costly, though together it still adds up to more than the vehicle is worth.

Move on from the vehicle. Find something newer but used, even though it is a new payment, you will be much happier you did.
That's an old vehicle and had a good run, but it's done.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, don't put the huge money in that truck at this point - you've gotten nearly 200,000 miles out of it. Instead, trade it in on something lightly used, perhaps with under 50,000 miles on it. Your payment (if any depending on how much cash you have) would be minimal.

If you need more peace of mind, then buy an extended warranty along with it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just went through the same thing with my 2005 F150 back in February. For me, it wasnt worth the money to fix my list of repairs. Take care of yourself and buy something new.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just went through the same thing with my 2005 F150 back in February. For me, it wasnt worth the money to fix my list of repairs. Take care of yourself and buy something new.
New is awesome - the payments aren't.

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018
Wife is starting to get the itch for a new car, luckily she prefers getting a low mileage 2019 explorer or similar. I can’t complain, she’s driving a 2007 currently. We both tend to drive our cars until maintenance is more than a payment.

I’ve had one brand new vehicle (for me) in my life. Typically try to buy new or mostly new for my wife so I don’t have to worry as much about her safety.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Tires, brakes, wheel bearings are routine maintenance. Catalytic converter can be bought in a junk yard.

Head gasket is less than 30 bucks. Labor will be a little higher because of the stuff you have to pull off.

So,

Tires $600
Brakes $300
Catalytic converter $150 used
Bearings $300 have this done by brake guy
Head gasket $250

Total bill should be 1750.

My in law got 350k miles out of a Toyota truck. Sold it 15 years ago. I see it around town periodically.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did your shop give you a quote? Stop blaming your boys on the upholstery stains and trade the car.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For those not mechanically inclined. *looking at ox*
No mechanic is charging less than $800 for a head gasket, and it’s usually more.

I’m not mechanically inclined? I pulled the motor and replaced the head gasket on my ‘89 Vette, which I spent 3 years restoring. I think I can speak on this.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
For those not mechanically inclined. *looking at ox*
To be fair, the question is whether NV is mechanically inclined and when it comes to cars, he says he's not a big DIY'er - neither am I BTW. He didn't share the quote they gave him on the total, but I'd be willing to bet it's over $2.5K.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Head gasket seems odd for a Toyota 4Runner (that isnt a 95ish).

Edit: hmmmmm maybe it isnt extremely odd
4.0L V6 Blown Head Gasket

Did this shop also offer to buy it? For CHEAP?

Id get a second opinion. That is easily a 300-350k mile truck, it just depends on how much you want to drive something nicer.

That being said, the issue isnt "whether your bill will be more than the value of the truck" it is whether or not you can get 100-150k miles more use for $2000 or so.

Thinks like brakes, even bearings are a bit like filling upnthe gas tank. You fill it up and get 300 more miles. You change the oil, get 3000-7500 miles, you change tires, get maybe 50-60k, brakes vary, maybe 50k. Etc. You are just filling those up. They are wear items.

BTW the labor for doing the bearings wont be much w the brake rotor off already.

Can you find a mechanic who does sidejobs at home onnthe weekends? Those kind of big projects would be much cheaper for someone like that.

If it were some Ford piece of shyt and you managed to get 100k, yeah Id push it into the dump.

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Head gasket seems odd for a Toyota 4Runner (that isnt a 95ish).

Edit: hmmmmm maybe it isnt extremely odd
4.0L V6 Blown Head Gasket

Did this shop also offer to buy it? For CHEAP?

Id get a second opinion. That is easily a 300-350k mile truck, it just depends on how much you want to drive something nicer.

That being said, the issue isnt "whether your bill will be more than the value of the truck" it is whether or not you can get 100-150k miles more use for $2000 or so.

Thinks like brakes, even bearings are a bit like filling upnthe gas tank. You fill it up and get 300 more miles. You change the oil, get 3000-7500 miles, you change tires, get maybe 50-60k, brakes vary, maybe 50k. Etc. You are just filling those up. They are wear items.

BTW the labor for doing the bearings wont be much w the brake rotor off already.

Can you find a mechanic who does sidejobs at home onnthe weekends? Those kind of big projects would be much cheaper for someone like that.

If it were some Ford piece of shyt and you managed to get 100k, yeah Id push it into the dump.
I'll hit 150K on my Ford piece of shyt on the drive home tomorrow! ;) But otherwise, I agree with you on Toyotas.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Do they even exist anymore?

I was talking to a guy who runs an independent Porsche Audi shop who said so many of the CVTs cant be rebuilt at all. That is insane when you are talking about a tranny that substitutes a big ass belt for gears.

One of my friends, a surgeon, drove an old Mercedes 220/ 200 something that was a late sixties model well into the 2000s. He said he felt A LOT smarter than the people that were flushing 50k (then) in a depreciating assets on four wheels.

Was the engine over heating? You won't really know until the engine is apart, but I would feel pretty good about it not being a warped head or a cracked block if it wasn't overheating. if the engine was oveheating badly Id probably be less likely to roll the dice and spend the money.

In the end you're just going to have to decide whether you want the new car smell or not. Trump does need us to soend money. I've got a bit of new car fever myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator