Lose Two Games: Your National Championship Quest is Over and Done

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Its the magic number

It doesn't matter if it comes early, middle or late in the season lose that second game and the party's over./I've heard AB, your Admingator, echo the same sentiments. Once the dream of a National Championship is shattered pick up your marbles and go home. For me its the same story. It's like winning Majors in tennis and golf. Going for the big prize is always the name of the game.

In the history of NCAA football there has been only one National Champion with two losses. In 1960 for some exotic reasons the Minnesota Gophers ended the year as #1 despite two losses. This was still the era where the National Champion was crowned before the post season bowl games. The #1 Gophers went on to be defeated by Washington 17-7 in the Rose Bowl. After that unfortunate chain of events coaches and sports writer considered Ole Miss (10-0-1) who won their bowl game the real National Champions.. Interesting side story about Memphis State being the only team to tie #1 Ole Miss that year. Old school Tigers fans still talk about that game.

There is one consolation about being out of the race. You can sit back ,relax and analyze your team's progress during the year and project their prospects for the next year as NC contenders.

Last time I looked Florida and Tennessee had two losses. Sorry, folks, maybe next year. :)

List of National Champions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College...Division_I_FBS

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LSU won the NC in 2007 with 2 losses. Your argument is invalid.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n79451 said:
LSU won the NC is 2007 with 2 losses. Your argument is invalid.

I never considered those chumps National Champions but your'e right. So there's TWO, (that number again) freaks of nature in 1960 and 2007. I still say its a magic number that adds up your race is run.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n79456 said:
I never considered those chumps National Champions but your'e right. So there's TWO, (that number again) freaks of nature in 1960 and 2007. I still say its a magic number that adds up your race is run.

There also wasn't a playoff back then. Thanks to that Dr. Pepper guy things are different now.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
200.gif

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n79459 said:
There also wasn't a playoff back then. Thanks to that Dr. Pepper guy things are different now.

Dr. Pepper is a quack. No medicine will get a 2 loss team into the NC Playoffs. Too many undefeated and 1 loss teams out there competing for the lucky Final Four.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gee when you are UT your hope of a NC is over before the season starts now, sort of like UF as well. Now with a playoff 2 might eliminate you but that depends on the other teams. If all major teams have two losses one or more of them will be in the playoffs. Now the Mississippi teams play each other so one will have a loss. The winner of the SEC championship might have two losses and make it in. The playoff changes many things.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n79472 said:
Gee when you are UT your hope of a NC is over before the season starts now, sort of like UF as well. Now with a playoff 2 might eliminate you but that depends on the other teams. If all major teams have two losses one or more of them will be in the playoffs. Now the Mississippi teams play each other so one will have a loss. The winner of the SEC championship might have two losses and make it in. The playoff changes many things.

You have a point. That being said the odds a two loss team sneaks into the playoffs are still infinitesimal Look for the one loss teams left out of the dance that will scream political bias and favoritism the loudest.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Give Alvin a break he can't remember the last time his team only lost 2 games.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
There have been a number of years where a 2 loss team would have made the 4 team playoff.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is one maxim you can count on. If the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are a one loss team you can bet the Popemobile they'll be in the playoffs. South Bend has always enjoyed the advantage of almost blatant favoritism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator