Louisiana vs App State - crazy play call

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Louisiana is up by 5 with about 2 minutes to go. They have the ball 4th and 2 at their own 40 or so. Their long snapper has snapped 3 over the punter's head already. So what does Napier do???

Answer - he lines up the offense, snaps it to his QB and has the QB intentionally run backwards 40 yards for the safety.

Ummm, what? Now a field goal ties it up. Weirdest call I've seen in a while.

Update - so what happens next? Well App State takes good field position from the return following the safety and drives down to miss the 30 yard tying field goal to take Napier off the hook... go figure

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like the dumbest call ever to me. They really ran backwards for 40 yards to purposely give the other team 2 points and the ball? Makes no sense whatsoever. I hope they lose.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Sounds like the dumbest call ever to me. They really ran backwards for 40 yards to purposely give the other team 2 points and the ball? Makes no sense whatsoever. I hope they lose.
Well, worked out at the end, but terrible call. Seems to me a pouch punt by the QB would have been the play.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, worked out at the end, but terrible call. Seems to me a pouch punt by the QB would have been the play.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There is no logical reason to purposely take the safety in the situation.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Only thing bought with the two points was the time run off the clock. You could punt as far, or further, from the 40 as you could free kick from the 20.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That snapper was the problem. But that safety was a wrong solution. Just play football.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Going for it or putting the qb in shotgun and having him punt it probably would be better options.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That snapper was the problem. But that safety was a wrong solution. Just play football.

This was the issue. They had 3 horrendous long snaps during the game so I understand the thought process and had there been say under 1 minute to play, I would have agreed wholeheartedly or had they been backed up in the end zone. I think I agree with the shotgun snap theory and let the QB punt.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
However crazy it seemed, it worked......... they won.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The overall clock management in the last two minutes was so bad I assumed that Les Miles even rolled his eyes

My thoughts were around the fact that Billy Napier is a leading candidate for one of the big jobs available. Would you offer that guy a huge contract?

Not me

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The overall clock management in the last two minutes was so bad I assumed that Les Miles even rolled his eyes

My thoughts were around the fact that Billy Napier is a leading candidate for one of the big jobs available. Would you offer that guy a huge contract?

Not me

uh... no.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
However crazy it seemed, it worked......... they won.

It’s ok D. He’s only a former Gator coach. You don’t need to “trust the coach” or love the Gators with pumperisms on this one. It was painfully dumb and almost cost him a win where his defense played really well and he had better options. We can acknowledge that even if he got lucky a kicker missed an easy FG that he makes 90% of the time.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s ok D. He’s only a former Gator coach. You don’t need to “trust the coach” or love the Gators with pumperisms on this one. It was painfully dumb and almost cost him a win where his defense played really well and he had better options. We can acknowledge that even if he got lucky a kicker missed an easy FG that he makes 90% of the time.

Didn't even know he was a former Gator Coach....... just a simple statement that echo's the facts. "Almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes!"

You don't have to be so negative about everything...... ie: We won but we almost lost...... We scored 34 but we almost didn't.......... We held them to 10 but they almost scored more.....

:bart:Bart says hi!

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Didn't even know he was a former Gator Coach....... just a simple statement that echo's the facts. "Almost only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes!"

You don't have to be so negative about everything...... ie: We won but we almost lost...... We scored 34 but we almost didn't.......... We held them to 10 but they almost scored more.....

:bart:Bart says hi!

Riiiiight. We should applaud stupidity and bad decisions if it works out ok. 2012 Muschamp agrees.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Riiiiight. We should applaud stupidity and bad decisions if it works out ok. 2012 Muschamp agrees.

Frankly, I don't care what you do...... if having a "glass half empty" attitude makes you happy and fulfilled.... I'll support you fully, even though my support carries as much weight as your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.