Lowering scholarship numbers and it’s effect on parity?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
What would have a real impact on parity would be to link scholarship availability
to previous year's final rankings. The higher the final ranking, the fewer the scholarships
that school can offer. The pros have adopted a form of reverse ranking in order to afford the bottom-feeders access to the best talent coming into the league, but I know, I know-unrealistic.
First of all, I do not watch the NFL so my question is honestly not sarcasm. How many times does the team(s) with the 1st draft picks go from worst to first using that method? Or does that simply just take time to build a program?

Also, that method in the NFL isn't exactly as it seems because teams frequently trade decent players to get a higher draft pick which in my mind negates the benefits of the worst teams getting the better picks.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I read/saw somewhere as an idea, of limiting the number of 5*s that a team could have, which at face value doesn't seem too bad of an idea. My thought is not some idea of "fairness" but rather making college football a better product and making the season and games more compelling.

I saw that as well, want to bet that stars would be reallocated and such a rule would be declared illegal? You really think restricting numbers would do much. Now if you really want to do something that would help UF, restrict scholarships. In Florida we have a way to get tuition paid through lotto, no need for scholarships for Florida players.

Not that I would support this, whatever you do more corruption will result.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure I get what you mean. If we restricted scholarships but covered the players' tuitions with lotto money, isn't that the same as giving scholarships?
Any athlete who receives any scholarship money counts as an athletic scholarship.

Nebraska thought of that decades ago and forced the rule.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
First of all, I do not watch the NFL so my question is honestly not sarcasm. How many times does the team(s) with the 1st draft picks go from worst to first using that method? Or does that simply just take time to build a program?

Also, that method in the NFL isn't exactly as it seems because teams frequently trade decent players to get a higher draft pick which in my mind negates the benefits of the worst teams getting the better picks.
Valid point. Many teams have exercised their #1 draft choice to take what they thought would help them improve their competitiveness and still are annual celler-dwellers (see Detroit Lions). Others use that pick and shortly field a team that can make it to the playoffs. (see Cleveland Browns). Certainly no guarantees, but the opportunity is there.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not sure I get what you mean. If we restricted scholarships but covered the players' tuitions with lotto money, isn't that the same as giving scholarships?

No every student in Florida high schools gets lotto money. Now out of state folks would not. All my children got lotto money. And I don't expect any of these foolish ideas to happen there will be enough damage through things they already approved. College sports as we knew them are dead.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So the suggestion is to reduce the number of scholarships offered for football?

In today’s political climate you are suggesting that we reduce the number of young men that have access to a free education knowing that the majority are black?

Good luck

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Get rid of all athletic scholarships in all sports. College is about academics.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If you don’t think Fuchs has any influence over the HC and AD, why do you spend so much time b!tching about him?
The President of the University is the ex officio CEO of the UAA. In the charter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.