LSU basketball coach will be gone soon?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It will be interesting to see what happens. I do wonder how it takes so long for stuff to come out, and why the FBI does not have better things to work on.
Yeah, if only they would investigate some of Trump's collusion with the Ruskies.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
This isn't your typical bagman working with a booster with the head coach staying several degrees separated with an assistant coach working with a booster working with a bagman who works with the recruit and their family. This is the HC himself talking about how big of an offer he made and how he structured it as far as what the recruit and his family gets vs what the bagman gets. This is the most direct and blatant buying of a recruit by a HC I have seen and I don't think there is any way he survives it. Maybe even possible criminal charges?
Is it SMU death penalty bad?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I don't think the DP exists anymore. But it could easily be tax evasion going to jail bad.
This is probably the closest thing that’s been made public to that scandal. Head coach negotiating a pay off for an athlete currently on the team is pretty bad.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Can we get our win back?

But, seriously. I hope they shut down the fkcin POS basketball program and the whole athletic department. As you can tell I hate those burnt corndogs.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I almost brought up the 2006 season but they were just a flash in the pan back then. I laughed every time Glenn "Big Fat Ass" Davis sucking wind vs UCLA. Almost 30 years ago Dale Brown was their coach while they had Shaq and Chris Jackson(later Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf).

I will do you one better.

In the late 70’s/early 80’s Dale Brown had Rudy Macklin and Dewayne “Spaceman “ Scales but he wasn’t a good enough coach to take advantage of two very talented big men. Dale was a good recruiter and a really interesting guy but he was a terrible in-game coach

I really liked watching those two guys fly through the air

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
The meltdown on TigerDroppings is great. The responses fall into about three categories: 1) everyone does it anyway, so screw it and press on, (60%) 2) Joe Alleva is a spineless weakling who should be thrown in the Mississippi, (35%) and 3) a few people who think it is obvious that Wade has to be put on leave.

At least we can all agree that we hate Joe Alleva too. He's a uniter!

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
At least we can all agree that we hate Joe Alleva too. He's a uniter!

I view everything bad that happens to LSU as the result of Alleva's bad karma for trying to screw UF over in the hurricane reschedule saga.

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
I am sure that Wade has a reasonable explanation.

No kidding. Since when is it a violation to offer to show the family around town, give them some tips on places to eat out and a good reputable child care? Strong offers like that shouldn’t be vilified.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I’m sure Nike wasn’t part of this either. Duke, UNC, Kentucky... sure those guys are 100% clean.
No......but as stated earlier they are too big to fail. Occasionally they need a sacrificial lamb so they can say they are cleaning things up. Looks like LSU is it. Louisville a few years ago. UNC got cold ass busted and got a slap on the wrist and UK will never get a look.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched some of their game against Vandy tonight and their fan base is proving that Wade is guilty.
The stands were full of signs noting all the other cheaters such as North Carolina.

Although I agree that most of the power programs, especially North Carolina, do cheat you know you are guilty when instead of professing your own innocence you attempt to pile on other programs.

The curse of Joe Alleva is alive and well. Eat it corn dogs.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
LSU wins outright SEC title that Tiger fans celebrated even though it'll probably be vacated
  • By Gary Parrish
  • Mar 10, 2019 at 1:48 am ET • 5 min read
Three mornings ago, before Yahoo Sports' Dan Wetzel published thetranscript of a wiretapped conversation that forever changed how this LSU season will unfold and be remembered, things were actually great in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The Tigers were coming off of an overtime win at Florida that pushed their record to 25-2 overall, 15-2 in the SEC, and made it where they only needed to beat a winless-in-the-league Vanderbilt team on Saturday night to secure their first league championship in a decade. So Saturday night figured to be awesome.

Instead, it was just awkward.

Scott Rabalais

✔@RabalaisAdv

https://twitter.com/RabalaisAdv/status/1104553125007052801

Huge boo for #LSU AD Joe Alleva as he walked into the PMAC just now and went into the stands, followed by a lusty round of "Free Will Wade!" and "Joe must go!" from the students' section.
What a weird atmosphere for a championship crowning.

9:22 PM - Mar 9, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

87 people are talking about this

LSU beat Vanderbilt 80-59 on Saturday to become the outright champions of a conference that had four schools ranked in the top 20 of the preseason Associated Press Top 25 Poll -- none of which were LSU. In a vacuum, it's an amazing accomplishment. In a vacuum, Will Wade would be the SEC's Coach of the Year.

But we're not in a vacuum anymore.

We're in a scandal.

As you probably know, Wade was reportedly caught on a wiretap in June 2017 discussing a pay-for-play scheme for Class of 2018 prospect Javonte Smart, who committed to the Tigers less than a month after the conversation with Christian Dawkins, an aspiring agent who is now a convicted felon, took place. According to the report, Wade is expressing frustration to Dawkins that a third-party representative hasn't accepted his "strong-ass offer" for Smart -- presumably, according to Wade, because the deal on the table was "tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid" as opposed to taking care of the third-party representative who wasn't, according to Wade on the wiretap, getting "enough of the piece of the pie."

This all came out early Thursday.

Then, a few hours later, ESPN's Mark Schlabach reported that Wade was caught by wiretap on another call telling Dawkins that he'd done deals for "as good of players as [Smart]" that were "a lot simpler than this." And, according to ESPN, Wade also joked that the deal was worth more than the NBA's "rookie minimum."

lsu.jpg

LSU fans sent a message as they celebrated the SEC regular-season title. USATSI
Unsurprisingly, LSU suspended Wade on Friday.

Tony Benford is the interim coach. And though it's only fair to note that Wade has said what's reportedly on the wiretaps does not "begin to tell the whole story," it's also important to note that Wade has declined to explain the wiretaps to his bosses, which is what LSU officials said triggered the suspension. For what it's worth, I'm willing to hear Wade out when he decides to talk because I have known him for a long time, like him on a personal level and fundamentally believe everybody deserves a chance to tell their story. But after reading what Wade reportedly said to Dawkins, and combining it with a basic understanding of how high-level recruitments can unfold, I cannot think of a single explanation Wade could provide that would make anybody other than the diehard LSU fans who spent Saturday chanting "Free Will Wade" think those transcripts represent anything other than what they appear to represent.

That's the truth.

Will the NCAA ever be able to prove it? I have no idea.

I suppose there's a scenario where Will Wade denies ever breaking an NCAA rule, and everybody on the Javonte Smart side of things denies ever breaking an NCAA rule, and it's a cash transaction for which there is no paper trail, and the NCAA gets nowhere. Wouldn't be the first time. But if the reports are true that Wade wasn't forthcoming with his administration back in October when it was first reported he was caught on a wiretap discussing a possible deal for a completely different prospect, it's hard to imagine LSU doing anything other than terminating him for cause just as soon as its lawyers tell LSU it's safe to do so.

Either way, what a weird Saturday night.

There's at least a decent chance, if not a great chance, LSU will eventually vacate this SEC regular-season championship -- and everybody inside the Pete Maravich Assembly Center with a brain understood as much. Regardless, they were mostly cheering like crazy and celebrating as if what I just typed isn't true. Emmitt Williamsjumped in front of an SEC Network camera and shouted out Wade and Smart -- the latter of whom actually climbed a ladder and cut the net even though he might never play for LSU again because he might be the reason all of this is eventually vacated.

So awkward.

To be clear, if it happens, this will not be the first time a good team vacated a great season. But what makes this different is that we usually don't realize there's a possibility of a good team vacating a great season RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GREAT SEASON. We didn't know Louisville would have to vacate a national title because of stripper parties until well after Louisville won the national title. We didn't know Memphis would have to vacate a Final Four because of Derrick Rose's fraudulent standardized test score until well after Memphis advanced to the Final Four. So Louisville and Memphis fans, oblivious to what was on the way, could celebrate normally.

But this is different.

LSU fans, at least the smart ones, had to know what's likely on the way when they walked into that arena Saturday night. And, right or wrong, understandably or embarrassingly, they, for the most part, didn't seem to care -- which made for one of the strangest net-cutting ceremonies in college basketball history.

The head coach wasn't there.

He might be fired soon.

And the likelihood of any of this surviving an official letter of inquiry from the NCAA seems not great. But whatever. Congrats, LSU, you're outright SEC champions! It's probably, at least partly, the result of a "strong-ass offer" that was eventually accepted in violation of NCAA rules. But why worry about that now when you can instead just celebrate and deal with it tomorrow?

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I thought I'd never see the day LSU fans would eat their own including Alleva. Suck it you Corndog douches! You have no choice but to keep him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.