Mac Letting Current or Ex-players Influence Playing Time?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I've been trying to figure out what happened to Scarlett in the UK game. I've been looking around to see if I missed an injury or disciplinary reason to explain why all of a sudden he got zero touches. Then I remembered the Fred Taylor interview on ESPN radio. This quote stuck out to me suggesting KT isn't happy that he isn't getting more touches and doesn't like the 3 back rotation:

"Even my son, he wants more reps," the elder Taylor said. "He's a junior, he wants to make it happen. He wants an opportunity to not get caught up in the whole rotating three running backs. Two, well, you deal with it. Three? The rhythm and that piece of it, it's sort of frustrating. He had the opportunity to sort of punch on in and he got caught up in the celebration his old man used to do."

Hopefully it's just a coincidence or Scarlett was held out for some other reason I missed.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is trimming the number of players he puts in the game down. It happens every year. Lots of guys play early in the season, then once the conference slate starts, they settle into a smaller number of players. That plus Scarlett was having some ball security issues against ECU.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac said in his press conference that Scarlett had a bad week of practice, he was inconsistent and had ball security issues in practice and that is why he didn't play.

But you are right... it is proably because of Fred Taylor... smh

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n282825 said:
Mac said in his press conference that Scarlett had a bad week of practice, he was inconsistent and had ball security issues in practice and that is why he didn't play.

With all due respect, he didn't even come close to saying all that...

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n282825 said:

Sounds like he might have fumbled again in practice after fumbling twice in the game. That gets you zero carries in a real, live SEC road game.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n282835 said:
With all due respect, he didn't even come close to saying all that...

Funny... that is pretty much what I heard in the press conference today. Did you watch it today? You can watch it on gatorzone. Go to where there is about 9:25 left.

http://www.gatorvision.tv/watch/?Archive=2955

When asked about Scarlett and his issues in practice he Mac mentions specifically... "Consistency, Ball Security"

I'll be awaiting your apology

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n282822 said:
Some of you have waaay too much time on your hands.

It's better than what you have in your hand.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n282816 said:
Mac is trimming the number of players he puts in the game down. It happens every year. Lots of guys play early in the season, then once the conference slate starts, they settle into a smaller number of players. That plus Scarlett was having some ball security issues against ECU.

Yes Mac said as much during his show. Good point on security issues as well. Next wimp will open opportunities and perhaps playing on special teams is the way to get experience.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n282816 said:
It's probably the ball security issue, but hopefully he can get back in this week. Scarlett is the closest thing we have to a power back, and until Taylor or Cronk breakout and show they deserve most of the carries, I don't like the idea of trimming JS out of the rotation. RB by committee is what we are stuck with for now. Hopefully one of them can out-rush our QB against the creamsicles.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Doubt our RBs do much this season with the O line situation. If we couldn't establish a decent running game against ECU I doubt it happens later in the year against SEC opponents.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n282843 said:
Funny... that is pretty much what I heard in the press conference today. Did you watch it today? You can watch it on gatorzone. Go to where there is about 9:25 left.

http://www.gatorvision.tv/watch/?Archive=2955

When asked about Scarlett and his issues in practice he Mac mentions specifically... "Consistency, Ball Security"

I'll be awaiting your apology

Of course I watched it...he also said he was a good back, we needed him, he would play this week and the right situation just didn't come up in the KY game.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Gator Fever;n282855 said:
Doubt our RBs do much this season with the O line situation. If we couldn't establish a decent running game against ECU I doubt it happens later in the year against SEC opponents.
Grier doesn't seem to be having that much trouble finding space. It's the coaches job to find a way to get the backs more involved , swing passes, draws, option, etc. And Grier needs to make them pay if they stack the line. I'm not ready to give up on the running game after the 3rd week.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n282857 said:
Of course I watched it...he also said he was a good back, we needed him, he would play this week and the right situation just didn't come up in the KY game.

Yes, he did say that along with being inconsistent and having ball security issues in practice... which is why he didn't play last week and what I said. Of course you said that Mac didn't say that... when he clearly did.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n282812 said:
"Even my son, he wants more reps," the elder Taylor said. "He's a junior, he wants to make it happen. He wants an opportunity to not get caught up in the whole rotating three running backs. Two, well, you deal with it. Three? The rhythm and that piece of it, it's sort of frustrating. He had the opportunity to sort of punch on in and he got caught up in the celebration his old man used to do."

Well, his son better start making more of the opportunities that he has now. If Saturday was any indication, he should not declare for the draft this year, he will be a late round pick at best. He needs to go forward and stop all that dancing (that I know so many others have pointed out too). About all of the 2nd half was his and he didn't do much with it. Do you think those NFL guys open truck size holes to run thru? sometimes, maybe.

step up and prove you need all those carries.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
NVGator;n282846 said:
It's better than what you have in your hand.

:burn:
KT is our best back now. He runs where there is room. The other guys run to the hole whether it is there or not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n282812 said:
Hopefully it's just a coincidence or Scarlett was held out for some other reason I missed.
You missed the fact that he's fumbled every other time he touched the ball?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
stephenPE;n282896 said:
:burn:
KT is our best back now. He runs where there is room. The other guys run to the hole whether it is there or not.
Agree. Great backs have vision, patience, speed and power. None of our backs currently are close to great, but KT is probably the best. But Scarlett has the potential to be a lot better, and Cronk too. I'd like to see the coaches figure out a way to get these guys the ball in space so they can make someone miss or run someone over. Hard to do that when you are smashing into the back of our own tackle or tight end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.