Major League Baseball season

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Any other baseball fans?
Early rumors had it starting July 4. Wishful thinking. Unlike basketball and hockey, no decision has been made.
A 48 game schedule would be ridiculous- may as well put a giant asterisk on the World Series trophy. Anything less than 82 games would be wrong.
Make a decision soon! Do training in July, have 82 game season August through October and playoff in November.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Love baseball and will continue to watch regardless of how this season or lack thereof
plays out. Prior to the 94' strike baseball was the most popular and watched sport in the country.
The strike clearly changed that. If there is no season a lot of casual fans will not come back
in my opinion. Obviously the clock is ticking, but I believe there will be an MLB season in some form.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
Love baseball and will continue to watch regardless of how this season or lack thereof
plays out. Prior to the 94' strike baseball was the most popular and watched sport in the country.
The strike clearly changed that. If there is no season a lot of casual fans will not come back
in my opinion. Obviously the clock is ticking, but I believe there will be an MLB season in some form.
Baseball has definitely lost fans - the game is from a past generation. I love it in person but can't watch more than a couple of late game innings on TV in a close game.
It's amazing how most of these brand new stadiums are only half full for most games. Among sports, baseball has the cheapest tickets.

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Always a baseball fan always will be despite the ignorant shenanigans by both sides. I live about a 15 min walk from Wrigley and I am bummed I will not to visit the friendly confines this year for an old style and chicago dog.But I most likely will watch every Cubs game.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree

I find it interesting that the sport that can least afford a year long layoff seems to be the most uncooperative and unwilling group to sacrifice to pull off some kind of season.

Both the owners and the players appear to be completely devoid of self awareness and seem determined to do whatever they can to kill their sport.

I like major league baseball but I must admit that I have not missed it anywhere near as much as I missed March Madness or college baseball and skipping the season won’t make me want it more.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Any other baseball fans?
Early rumors had it starting July 4. Wishful thinking. Unlike basketball and hockey, no decision has been made.
A 48 game schedule would be ridiculous- may as well put a giant asterisk on the World Series trophy. Anything less than 82 games would be wrong.
Make a decision soon! Do training in July, have 82 game season August through October and playoff in November.

Name and town if you wish to opine.
They need to get things together and play 100 games imo. Still time to do so

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Baseball loses because unlike Football (especially football), Basketball and hockey isn't the best game for TV. Where as the action of those sports fit within the normal tv camera, baseball looses some of its action. The pacing also doesn't translate to tv as well, the ball is only in play for less than 10% of the telecast. Hard to keep viewers watching that way.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
These guys are so effing stupid. They should have signed off already for fourth of July start. They could have/ should have restarted spring ball now. They would have been the only thing on for a month and would've had 100% of air time and conversation, idiots

If and when they come back, they will compete with nfl, NCAA fb, NBA playoffs and NHL's playoffs. So they will be irrelevant

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
76 games is still about twice as long as their regular season should be.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
These guys are so effing stupid. They should have signed off already for fourth of July start. They could have/ should have restarted spring ball now. They would have been the only thing on for a month and would've had 100% of air time and conversation, idiots

If and when they come back, they will compete with nfl, NCAA fb, NBA playoffs and NHL's playoffs. So they will be irrelevant

Exactly, without the summer timing, MLB would be most irrelevant at this point, now the meat of their season will be in the NCAA/NFL season. The World Series games don't get the head to head ratings with regular season NFL/NCAA Thursday and Sunday games. And most of the Thursday games are garbage games from the NFL/NCAA but still doubling the world series.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Love the owners trying to sell the idea that they all lose money and only run baseball to be nice.

What a load of crap.

Agreed

Their approach is as dysfunctional as the players who seem to be negotiating as if there’s a rival league they can play for

As I mentioned both sides seem determined to destroy their sport and they are beginning to convince me they are doing the right thing

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
162 game regular season is too long. Start on Memorial Day and play 100 games.
Sometimes less is more.
Memorial Day (United States) 2020
  • Monday, May 25
  • Your post was June 8
Stealing Signs, Steroids and Strikes. I have been done with baseball for sometime. Sports is a microcosm of society and cheating seems to be the way of the world now.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
Season starts tomorrow. Who else is excited!?!?
Mostly white and Hispanic athletes in baseball, so likely there will be a minimal amount of national anthem kneeling. This should please the masses on Gatorchatter since you all are supposedly not watching basketball or football any more.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Mostly white and Hispanic athletes in baseball, so likely there will be a minimal amount of national anthem kneeling. This should please the masses on Gatorchatter since you all are supposedly not watching basketball or football any more.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think the MLB is going to do something to show how "woke" they are as well - hell even NASCAR did something. I lost interest in the MLB back when the strike happened and they cancelled the playoffs and WS. Hard to be interested in a spat between billionaires and multi-millionaires where the losers were guys like us. I'll watch the occasional game - and on very rare occasions perhaps go to one - but it's hard to get excited anymore.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Annnnnnd I just saw this (be sure to read to the end):

Yankees' Aaron Judge on kneeling during the national anthem: 'That’s the beauty of America'

San Francisco Giants manager Gabe Kapler and several of his players knelt during the national anthem before their exhibition game against the Oakland Athletics on Monday. In San Diego, Los Angeles Angels reliever Keynan Middleton kneeled and raised his right fist.

Several Cincinnati Reds players followed suit on Tuesday and also kneeled during the national anthem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.