Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noted.

funny-hover-hands-beach-nerd.jpg

Alex.
First, that kid is seriously out kicking his coverage.

Two, that looks a lot more like Miami than the caribbean. :cool:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
False.

I've spent some time behind a bar. These ingredients do appear in some real drinks.

A Manhattan and its cousin the Rob Roy are not girly drinks and they come with a maraschino cherry. And for the record (again, I don't know who takes these records or where they are kept) a REAL maraschino cherry is nothing like what gets put on top of sundaes and what most bars use. It's a sour cherry (pitted and stemmed) simmered in maraschino liqueur (with a bit of sugar). Top notch bartenders used to have to make their own but they are now available as "natural" maraschino cherries in some stores. The bright red or green garbage in a jar is blasphemy--and disgusting. If I'm in a dive bar (and I love dive bars) and they use those crappy jarred maraschino cherries, I pass. I don't even like those things on a milkshake much less in a Manhattan.

There is only 1 manly drink involving those terrible jarred maraschino cherries. It was called a cherry bomb before that name started being used for a different shot. First time I had it was in New Orleans in the mid 90's. You get a jar of those terrible jarred maraschino cherries. You pour all that disgusting liquid down the drain. You refill the jar with straight grain alcohol. Boom. A few days later, it's ready. In New Orleans, they served us the cherries (3 at a time if I recall correctly) in a small paper cup. Like lava going down. Chewing them was the worst. I've also seen them served shooter style with a cherry, a bit of the grain juice, and some beer. One of my roommates in college tried to replicate this by pouring out the liquid and re-filling the jar with grain. He wanted to use the fiery things the way you would a normal maraschino cherry (a nasty and unpleasant surprise for those not warned in advance). At one of our parties, on a dare, another roommate drank all the grain juice straight out of the jar. He puked his guts out a few minutes later. Surprised we didn't have to hospitalize him.

As for the orange, many liquors go well with a citrus twist. I'm not talking about dropping a lime wedge in your rum n' coke. A citrus twist is when you cut a small, thin piece of the outer citrus skin (called the "zest"). Twisting it (the "twist") over the drink then dropping it in releases the citrus oils into the drink. Sometimes a fancy bartender will use a match to flame the twist which changes the flavor (and makes an eye-catching presentation). I'm a bourbon guy and I usually take my bourbon rocks but if I'm at a really good bar (with a really good bartender) I'll sometimes get it with a flamed orange twist. Really good together.

Alex.
From The Top 10 LGBT Cocktails the author discusses flaming drinks http://www.lgbt.co.uk/leisure/top-10-lgbt-cocktails.htm

5. THE FLAMING COCKSMACK
cocksmack.jpg
The Flaming Cocksmack
, a cocktail also known as The Flaming Pudwhacker, is a fruity pineapple creation, with peach and banana liqueur and a generous taste of rum.

There are a few good video tutorials on the net demonstrating the manufacture of this very important drink, hosted by characters both colourful and sanguine. Caution is advised for anyone embarking on the preparation of any drink in the ‘Flaming’ category of cocktails – for obvious reasons.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
From The Top 10 LGBT Cocktails the author discusses flaming drinks http://www.lgbt.co.uk/leisure/top-10-lgbt-cocktails.htm

5. THE FLAMING COCKSMACK
cocksmack.jpg
The Flaming Cocksmack
, a cocktail also known as The Flaming Pudwhacker, is a fruity pineapple creation, with peach and banana liqueur and a generous taste of rum.

There are a few good video tutorials on the net demonstrating the manufacture of this very important drink, hosted by characters both colourful and sanguine. Caution is advised for anyone embarking on the preparation of any drink in the ‘Flaming’ category of cocktails – for obvious reasons.

Got nuthin' on the Flaming Moe--

8f08_032.jpg

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

5. THE FLAMING COCKSMACK
cocksmack.jpg
The Flaming Cocksmack

Oh, and I totally forgot to wish you a Happy Mother's Day yesterday.

:lol2:

Alex.

Last edited:

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of takeaways from this thread: First, apparently Alex likes to get in touch with his feminine side when he drinks and secondly, you ever notice how Brad likes to slip panoramic perspectives of his sprawling "Florida Ponderosa" when he posts pics?? He's not quite coming out and saying directly, "I own more land than you", but it is certainly implied....:lol:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of takeaways from this thread: First, apparently Alex likes to get in touch with his feminine side when he drinks and secondly, you ever notice how Brad likes to slip panoramic perspectives of his sprawling "Florida Ponderosa" when he posts pics?? He's not quite coming out and saying directly, "I own more land than you", but it is certainly implied....:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brad's last name must be Cartwright.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brad's last name must be Cartwright.

Could be, though I don't remember Little Joe and Hoss doing their chores in their running shoes....:rotfl:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dark and stormy is one of my favorite drinks. And I have found some craft ginger beers at Fresh Market that are truly amazing. It takes that drink, and Moscow and Kentucky Mules, to a whole new level.
Dark and stormy is also the preferred drink of one of my favorite fictional characters. He also prefers Gosljngs Black Seal. Never had one myself but it sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb