McElwain and recruiting

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Youre an idiot. That was laziness not brillance.

He also saw LDR as clearly superior to Grier, and said it often.

Yep - tired out laziness. Butters was a rotten twig too weak to poke through the pile of rotting leaves atop him. Too putrid-thinking to want to do the work, the due diligence to travel-chase other QBs, he took the promo-prattle of Trask's high school Barnum Bailey barker, whose unlaziness swept Butter-brain along. And by the rule "God takes care of little children and fools." -- So, Macfoolchild accepted this unoffered diamond in the dust. All credit goes to the internal character of Kyle Trask.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Trask’s HS coach looks like a genius though. He basically said that Trask would be a star if given the chance and the only reason he didn’t get one at Manville was D’Eriq King fit that offense much better. I’m guessing both end up in the NFL but only Trask will be playing QB.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm not a fan of Mac. However, Trask came to camp at UF, Mac saw him, recognized talent and was impressed enough to give him an offer him. I don't have much nice to say about Mac, but this is one instance where he did a good job. Donk is blinded by hatred. Mac is a good coach for Central Mich; he was just way over his head at UF.

Mac is a freaking moron and you really sound like one too defending the pile of crap. Give credit where credit is due ... Trask's high school coach for pointing Nuss in Trask's direction. Its not like they went out in search of him ... they stumbled onto him. The only reason we probably got him is because we was the only big school to offer him. Pretty sure if another big school offered and Trask had to choose between anyone else at a D1 school and Butters'n'Nuss, Trask wouldn't be at UF.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Mac is a freaking moron and you really sound like one too defending the pile of crap. Give credit where credit is due ... Trask's high school coach for pointing Nuss in Trask's direction. Its not like they went out in search of him ... they stumbled onto him. The only reason we probably got him is because we was the only big school to offer him. Pretty sure if another big school offered and Trask had to choose between anyone else at a D1 school and Butters'n'Nuss, Trask wouldn't be at UF.

Yeah, Mac was a jerk and a lazy crappy coach. But, do you think Trask's HS coach only contacted Nuss? I don't know what combination of skill and/or luck combined to get Trask to UF. It's about the only good thing Mac did. Without Trask, we'd be fighting to try to become bowl eligible. I'm not defending Mac. I'm just saying there is this one thing he did that really worked out well for the Gators.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. If this were any period prior to around the mid-90's, Trask's success wouldn't be shocking at all. .
Hmmmm So just crank off the list of QBs who hadnt started since middle school who started in college.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask’s HS coach looks like a genius .
Really? He will look like a genius bc he played a 5'6" slot receiver at QB instead of playing the QB ( who some now think is an NFL QB) at QB? How does not playing a potential NFL QB (if you guus are right) make one a genius?

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hmmmm So just crank off the list of QBs who hadnt started since middle school who started in college.

I was clearly referencing his being a 2*, yet looking good due to learning fundamentals and the system through time, hard work and no sense of entitlement. Nowhere did I(or most here that I've seen) mention the HS backup part of the story. It's a credit to him, not an endorsement of how we discovered him. Pick better arguments.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was clearly referencing his being a 2*, yet looking good due to learning fundamentals and the system through time, hard work and no sense of entitlement. Nowhere did I(or most here that I've seen) mention the HS backup part of the story. It's a credit to him, not an endorsement of how we discovered him. Pick better arguments.
So....

no examples found?

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
do you think Trask's HS coach only contacted Nuss?

The way I read it happened was that Nuss was there to see me someone, maybe King, don't know. The coach says there's this other guy you should look at... Nuss was impressed with the way he threw but said I can't recommend we take this kid if he's not even starting, so he invited him down to camp. And that's where Mac saw him and did the only useful thing he did in 3 years.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Really? He will look like a genius bc he played a 5'6" slot receiver at QB instead of playing the QB ( who some now think is an NFL QB) at QB? How does not playing a potential NFL QB (if you guus are right) make one a genius?
It’s highly common for the best athlete to play qb in hs. King is elite. That was a really good football team. And they ran a spread, which Kyle can run but not nearly as well as king in hs. Again, pure athlete wins out at that level.

The genius part was about his prediction. I thought he was off his rocker when I read that the first time. Turns out he might’ve been right.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I have long suspected Butters looked at recruiting websites and would go after the 4*s that were not as highly recruited as others, such as FF. Other coaches who were better judges of talent passed. There were several Butters “blue chippers” who either never panned out, like Antonneous Clayton, or never reached their alleged potential, like Martel Ivey or Cece Jefferson. He knew his classes would “look” better and maybe, just maybe it would help him steal another year along the way. He did recruit a few good players, such as Henderson or Swain, on the UF brand alone and some others like Wilson and Hammond who simply followed their brothers. Outside of Trask and Jawaan (sp?) Taylor - the OT - who else really has overachieved from that era of recruits?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There were several Butters “blue chippers” who either never panned out, like Antonneous Clayton, or never reached their alleged potential, like Martel Ivey or Cece Jefferson. He knew his classes would “look” better and maybe, just maybe it would help him steal another year along the way.
His classes didnt really look good.

The moral of the story is beware of tweeners, ie linebacker sized guys like CeCe or Clayton who are too slow to be linebackers.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
The way I read it happened was that Nuss was there to see me someone, maybe King, don't know. The coach says there's this other guy you should look at... Nuss was impressed with the way he threw but said I can't recommend we take this kid if he's not even starting, so he invited him down to camp. And that's where Mac saw him and did the only useful thing he did in 3 years.
I heard it said, Trask won the camp competitions, was rated the best. So it's not like Mac polished a turd and went look what I found. Trask showed up on the scene and blew them away. We stashed him on our bench just as fast as we could. And now looky, looky what we found. Diamond in the rough, I mean, on the bench.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
His classes didnt really look good.

The moral of the story is beware of tweeners, ie linebacker sized guys like CeCe or Clayton who are too slow to be linebackers.

No they didn’t; and that was w/o the benefit of hindsight

What’s really rare about his classes is that his last one before being fired was probably his best. I’m not looking at rankings, and they were skewed anyway because of Lemons and Robinson. But in terms of what we got out of it, defensively it was actually not bad, particularly on the DL and in the secondary.

Usually by the last class the wheels are coming off and recruits are timid. Of course, usually you don’t take pictures of you banging sharks in the offseason and make up felony stories during, so I guess he was just unique.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Since there's no sharks to hump in Michigan, and I heard UF was coming after mcelstain....looks like he and his wife are losing it

Would there have been anything worse than one of those protesters being shot by white guy in a Brooks Brothers polo from his manicured and stone pillared balcony.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Would there have been anything worse than one of those protesters being shot by white guy in a Brooks Brothers polo from his manicured and stone pillared balcony.
He's fortunate he didn't have a very bad accidental discharge. While I credit him for having his finger off of the trigger (as opposed to the Mrs.), it looks (to me anyway) like the selector switch is off "safety" and on "semi" and he's exercising poor muzzle discipline. (Her too for that matter.)

I wonder how long before they have a framed copy of the photo placed in a prominent part of their home.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
He's fortunate he didn't have a very bad accidental discharge. While I credit him for having his finger off of the trigger (as opposed to the Mrs.), it looks (to me anyway) like the selector switch is off "safety" and on "semi" and he's exercising poor muzzle discipline. (Her too for that matter.)

I wonder how long before they have a framed copy of the photo placed in a prominent part of their home.

He looks like a toolbag. I have no idea what’s going on with his pants, the belt situation, or his mime wife. The better question is how long before she broke out the “trapped in a glass box” routine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator