McElwain to Browns?!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
GAINESVILLE - Florida Head Coach Jim McElwain shocked the Florida players, coaching staff, and fans today with his announcement of his immediate retirement in order to pursue his dream of being an NFL head coach. McElwain will replace embattled Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine. McElwain said he came to the decision on Monday after all day meetings with the Browns management team. "I have always stressed to my players everything you do in life is a choice. Well this was one of the toughest choices I've ever had to make. After talking it over with my family, we have come to the conclusion that as hard as it is to leave the University of Florida program and especially my players, this is an opportunity I can't pass up."

After struggling through a second losing season and an overall record of 9-18 the Browns decided to make the move and fire Pettine. It's reported that McElwain was felt to be a prime candidate due to his offensive background and impressive but brief college head coaching record. They reportedly wanted an offensive coach with a winning record and system, but not someone so entrenched in the college game that he might struggle to make the transition.

When asked for comment, Florida Athletic Directer Jeremy Foley stated "we are very sad to see Coach Mac leave. He is a great man and a great coach who brought us immediate success. I'm sure he will do well in this next step in his career." He went on to say "At the same time I'm sure the University of Florida football program will be just fine. We'll start the search immediately and get the right man for the job." Foley was quoted "I've been at this for a very long time and know how to run the process successfully. There's always another affordable great up an comer out there if you search in the right places. We'll find our next Meyer, McElwain, Muschamp or Zook to lead our program."

Just over a week earlier, McElwain had announced that QB Will Grier would be returning to the team Jan. 5 after Grier and the coaching staff met. Only days later Grier informed McElwain of his decision to transfer out. Some are speculating Grier's decision to leave may have influenced McElwains decision to head to the NFL.

When asked about the QB situation with the Browns coach McElwain expressed confidence. "I'll tell you what, I think that Johnny Football is one heck of a player. I think he can succeed at the highest level in my offense. But just in case I'm bringing along Clairibelle along." He went on to state "I Might keep one eye on where Will goes as well. He might be my QB again some day after all." "You never know" McElwain said with a huge toothy smile.

Last edited by a moderator:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
:chickenlittle:he also sent mail to all of our current commits urging them to look elsewhere. poor Robbie is going to be getting calls over all Christmas weekend.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Foley responded that he liked the direction the program was going and gave Mac a retroactive raise.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This makes sense if you think about it. Grier won't have to sit out a year on the Browns' roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator