McElwain's SEC teleconference (8/31)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-coach-jim-mcelwain-on-the-sec-teleconference

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain made his weekly appearance on the SEC teleconference Wednesday morning.

Here were the highlights:

• McElwain: “Obviously excited about getting things started and more than anything kind of seeing where we’re at and seeing how a lot of the new faces first time playing in The Swamp how they’re going to react to a game and situations that come up. And I’m looking forward to practice today where we’re focusing on third down and red zone and some of the special situations moving forward.”

• On QB Luke Del Rio: “His experience here being here last year really helps, and it also really helps as far as bonding with the team team and guys believing in how he goes about his business. The thing we can’t forget is it it his first start and sometimes we think he’s a vet, and that’s a good thing because of the way he handles himself. He’s done a really good job so far with our install and what we’re expecting, and I’m excited to get out there and see him play.”

• Has McElwain ever been part of a team that had all assistant coaches on the sideline and not in the press box: “I never have personally. I think it probably is each and every program has their own ways about going about things. I think the experience of some guys being upstairs, being eyes in the sky, getting a view of it in a fairly stale environment where the emotions of the game maybe aren’t on you, and yet I also understand those times with those players being able to look them in the eye on the sideline. … In our case our sidelines are so tight that just brings extra guys down there. We’ve got to try to clean it up a little bit.”

• Is there a team policy on players owning handguns? “Obviously you can’t have them on campus. It’s university policy. It’s part of our life skills program and with current issues and all that we have a lot of discussions and talk about it, but that’s kind of how we handle it.”

• On the decision to make Antonio Callaway active: “First and foremost that’s one of those things that was researched through the university and a decision was made and that’s kind of the deal there.”

• On whether freshman WRs Tyrie Cleveland and Rick Wells will be suspended beyond this game: “They’re dealing with obviously some choices, personal choice issues and we’ll play that as we do with all our guys and their choices and decisions as to what they do.”

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are all of the assistant coaches going to be on the sideline this year? That seems weird to me. I remember Nuss last year was in the press box. If coaches will be in the press box, then what's the point in asking that question?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are all of the assistant coaches going to be on the sideline this year? That seems weird to me. I remember Nuss last year was in the press box. If coaches will be in the press box, then what's the point in asking that question?

I think because Les Miles said that's what he's doing at LSU this year. (I think it was him)

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think because Les Miles said that's what he's doing at LSU this year. (I think it was him)

Gotcha. If it wasn't Les that said it, then that was as good as a guess as can be. He's most likely to try something like that imo. Thanks for answering my question.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Just be sure to save room for 22.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is there a team policy on players owning handguns?

:headslap::headslap::headslap:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Found this on coaching ticker:

With LSU putting all nine full-time assistants on the sideline, that puts a lot on the graduate assistants in the press box.

The GA’s this year are Carter Blount III, Leon Wright, Dennis Johnson and Eric Mateos.

“We have quality GA’s that will have the ability to see and translate what’s going on in the game that our guys don’t see,” Miles said on the SEC coaches teleconference. “These guys have the ability to see the field. They’ve proven to me in spring and preseason that these guys can do it. We enjoy the fact we can coach our kids.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator