Mel Kiper on Draft Position of UF Underclassmen

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Since65;n155691 said:
I would agree with your thoughts here but as someone said earlier, Kiper has created a brand and been successful in establishing a niche in the industry. People are more familiar with Kiper than they are with Mayock, etc. and that gives him rating points, which are really the only things that matter to the networks.

No question he is more well known..but I'd also say that less people, by far, get NFL Network than get ESPN. You get ESPN in every single hotel, expensive or not. It's easy to see ESPN. So if Mayock still worked for ESPN he would be getting way more ratings. It's just a matter of who they work for.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I like Fowler but IMO any team that takes him top 15 will probably be disappointed. I just don't see him producing in the NFL for what top 15 picks expect. You just never know with the transition if a player will be good or not. I'm of the mindset it's always more about the system/coaching than the player. How many "busts" wouldn't have been if selected by a different team more suited to their systems? How many players like Tom Brady drafted in the 6th but when given the chance end up HOFers have rotted on a bench because a coach like Muschamp only cares about how many stars you had or where you were drafted? Probably far too many. Teams draft off of potential which can be an ugly thing we all know too well. It's really not surprising in the least that these "experts" have such a poor success rate.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n153185 said:
The worst staring lineman I've ever seen at UF. He was beaten on just about every play. How in the hell did he start? He and Jalapeno should start a club.

Can you imagine this guy (Moore) trying to block NFL d-linemen? Imagine what Suh and Wilfork and Watt and others would do to him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
t-gator;n155429 said:
Mel kiper is awful. I'll never understand how he makes so much money. Him and mcshay are idiots. He's always wrong. I'd take draft advise from Frank caliendo impersonating Mel kiper than to take draft advise from Mel kiper

I read about Kiper and McShay every year and how they are "idiots" and "always wrong" or whatever.

The fact that you or anyone who does think they are "idiots" cannot realize where they get their info is just amazing. Really shows who the "idiot" is. This is their fulltime job. They aren't just making this stuff up. They have a staff that works diligently calling scouts, coaches, S&C staffs, etc doing homework on each player they discuss. If a player is a bust...they are a bust. It's not Kiper's fault the guy didn't pan out. The player met all the measurables, excelled in the combine, every team wanted him....and he was a bust. Doesn't make Kiper an idiot. It makes the player a bust. Did Kiper pick these guys 1st overall? No. An NFL team did. An NFL team that has a full time staff dedicated to research.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n155967 said:
I read about Kiper and McShay every year and how they are "idiots" and "always wrong" or whatever.

The fact that you or anyone who does think they are "idiots" cannot realize where they get their info is just amazing. Really shows who the "idiot" is. This is their fulltime job. They aren't just making this stuff up. They have a staff that works diligently calling scouts, coaches, S&C staffs, etc doing homework on each player they discuss. If a player is a bust...they are a bust. It's not Kiper's fault the guy didn't pan out. The player met all the measurables, excelled in the combine, every team wanted him....and he was a bust. Doesn't make Kiper an idiot. It makes the player a bust. Did Kiper pick these guys 1st overall? No. An NFL team did. An NFL team that has a full time staff dedicated to research.

All true.

But there are more qualified people who have actually worked for an NFL team that don't get half the face time this guy does.

Also true.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n155967 said:

The reason I say they get too much credit is their first boards are usually way off and then their final board is mostly just going by what the team connections are telling them which anyone could do with connections.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'd be stunned if Fowler went top 5. I don't think he will go top 10 either although someone may fall in love with his physical talent. He doesn't dominate on a consistent level like a Williams, Suh, or Clowney despite the physical ability to do so. I saw a couple of mocks today that have him going middle to end of the first round which is more likely in my opinion unless he blows teams away at the combine.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF;n155967 said:

These guys do nothing that impresses me and they're over paid. I don't care where they get their info. I'd rather hear someone who's actually been apart of a front office

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
biggator6;n153216 said:
I would love for someone (with more time on their hands than I have) to track all of Kiper and McShay's 'predictions' as they make them.. and then show just how accurate they are.

I'm betting they're somewhere in weatherman territory.
The NFL draft is a complete crap shoot...i hate both of those guys with a passion but to blame them for their mock drafts being off is a little unfair. They have to do that for their job and you just cannot predict how the draft will unfold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.