Memory Lane

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Since most of our threads are about how awful the program is regarding BB and FB I though I would lighten it u with a walk down memory lane in the offseason.

I dont want to brag but I saw Spurrier line up under center on FLa field and throw passes to Charles Casey and Richard Trapp. Hand off to Larry Smith a few times.Saw him make the kick to beat auburn and win the Heisman. I saw John Reaves throw some passes to Mr Alvarez and hand off to Tommy touchdown Durrance. He scored a bunch in 69. I saw our first AA player at QB and he lead us to our first win at Jordan Hare stadium. I actually wrestled the player he replaced (Jimmy Fischer) in a PE class. To a draw. I chanted Du DU DU when Jimmy Dubose was running for that first 1000 yard season in gator history. Saw Scott Brantley do the best imitation of Dick Butkus on Fla field. Saw Wilbur run down those USC RBs from behind. Yeah, I was watching all those gamess live in the what we called FLa field then. I saw Emmitt carry the ball in all of his home games. I saw Timmy QB in all of his home games. I saw all of the HOME Games SOS coached at FLa Field. One of the best things I saw were many Gator Growls in the old stadium where the fireworks went up from behind the old south endzone bleachers. It was mesmorizing to a young teen then.

But I also saw UF go up on jawja 27-10 with Terry Lecount at the half where we were making sugar bowl reservations and looking for hotels........then saw the 2nd half dissolve into a final 42-27. Saw Lindsey Scott make my first wife cry with that catch. I was at SOS's last game in the Orange Bowl never thinking it was his last game of all. Ive seen a lot of gator stuff. Neal Walk playing in games the seaon he ave. 26pts and almost 19 rebounds a game. Saw Pistol Pete Maravich score 50 in the old alligator alley. The most amazing player I EVER saw on a basketball court. So when I get upset about present day gator failures and losses I reflect back on how lucky I have been to been raised a gator. Both parents attended UF. Daughter has her degree there. I have two. Worked on campus all four years of college. Mom and grandmother both worked for UF. You could say I bleed orange and blue.........

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Since most of our threads are about how awful the program is regarding BB and FB I though I would lighten it u with a walk down memory lane in the offseason.

I dont want to brag but I saw Spurrier line up under center on FLa field and throw passes to Charles Casey and Richard Trapp. Hand off to Larry Smith a few times.Saw him make the kick to beat auburn and win the Heisman. I saw John Reaves throw some passes to Mr Alvarez and hand off to Tommy touchdown Durrance. He scored a bunch in 69. I saw our first AA player at QB and he lead us to our first win at Jordan Hare stadium. I actually wrestled the player he replaced (Jimmy Fischer) in a PE class. To a draw. I chanted Du DU DU when Jimmy Dubose was running for that first 1000 yard season in gator history. Saw Scott Brantley do the best imitation of Dick Butkus on Fla field. Saw Wilbur run down those USC RBs from behind. Yeah, I was watching all those gamess live in the what we called FLa field then. I saw Emmitt carry the ball in all of his home games. I saw Timmy QB in all of his home games. I saw all of the HOME Games SOS coached at FLa Field. One of the best things I saw were many Gator Growls in the old stadium where the fireworks went up from behind the old south endzone bleachers. It was mesmorizing to a young teen then.

But I also saw UF go up on jawja 27-10 with Terry Lecount at the half where we were making sugar bowl reservations and looking for hotels........then saw the 2nd half dissolve into a final 42-27. Saw Lindsey Scott make my first wife cry with that catch. I was at SOS's last game in the Orange Bowl never thinking it was his last game of all. Ive seen a lot of gator stuff. Neal Walk playing in games the seaon he ave. 26pts and almost 19 rebounds a game. Saw Pistol Pete Maravich score 50 in the old alligator alley. The most amazing player I EVER saw on a basketball court. So when I get upset about present day gator failures and losses I reflect back on how lucky I have been to been raised a gator. Both parents attended UF. Daughter has her degree there. I have two. Worked on campus all four years of college. Mom and grandmother both worked for UF. You could say I bleed orange and blue.........

Coach, there is a reason this is named for you.

:pe:

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You forgot the part about going to Shelbyville with an onion on your belt. Gimme 5 bees for a quarter!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Good for fuchsing you. Glad you won’t be going the Marty Shottenheimer way, at least for now. You seem to have a good memory which is beneficial for old age. You aren’t any better than the other fans here, Coach.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good memories Coach, thanks for sharing with us.....

Go Gators!

My first game at Florida Field was UF vs. Tulane, I think it was 65..... when Tulane was in the SEC.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Yep...good stuff, brings back Spurrier to Casey down the sideline in the closing minutes against Cow College in '64, in Jackson, 16-13 we win! My first gator game in person...

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I too witnessed nearly all of the things mentioned starting with watching SOS at Florida Field.
These experiences make the demise of the program that much more painful to witness. Once you experience excellence it becomes very difficult to accept mediocrity.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I hated Emmitt Smith. But I easily recognize why you guys loved him. He was a fabulous player.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
My first game at Florida Field in 1979 - UK vs. UF - I saw Dr. Larry Ochab throw zero touchdowns to anybody wearing a UF uniform in a 33-3 loss. I did get to run around on the field after the game - on the artificial turf. Great memories for a 9 year old.

I'm sure coach was there:

:pe:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I hated Emmitt Smith. But I easily recognize why you guys loved him. He was a fabulous player.
He was an "on the edge of your seat" kind of player. You never knew when you would see somthing that made you go "DID YOU SEE THAT?" I swear he took hits and use it as a way to get momentum away from the hit.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Other than clearly defining who here is eligible for the vaccine and who's not, can anyone tell me the point of this thread?

And now NALT gets stephen going on Emmitt. Yeesh.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Other than clearly defining who here is eligible for the vaccine and who's not, can anyone tell me the point of this thread?

And now NALT gets stephen going on Emmitt. Yeesh.

The out-loud part is "it's great to be a Florida Gator".

The quiet part is "I love the Gators more than you guys b!tching about the status of the program".

Alex.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The constant :deadhorse:and :violin:does get old.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sum-thing worse than "wait 'til next year." = "we have not yet begun to fight."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.