Message Board falls to 0-2 in 2017

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I have no idea why some on this board act like Mac has been here for 5 years. That is my biggest gripe, I appreciate and agree that there have and continue to be issues. But, bottom line, the most important metric is wins and losses. I really do not think it is fair to judge him on the two years, especially negatively and especially given the results of those two years.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have no idea why some on this board act like Mac has been here for 5 years. That is my biggest gripe, I appreciate and agree that there have and continue to be issues. But, bottom line, the most important metric is wins and losses. I really do not think it is fair to judge him on the two years, especially negatively and especially given the results of those two years.
Why isn't it fair to judge a coach on their win/loss record? WTF else do you judge a coach by...his smile?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Why isn't it fair to judge a coach on their win/loss record? WTF else do you judge a coach by...his smile?
I'm sorry, I guess my writing is not completely clear. I do think you should judge based upon win loss record. Which is my basic point, his first two years have been 10 win seasons, so why on earth would some already write him off as if he has had a 5 year track record here?
Yes, he deserves criticism on offense, the roller coaster ride on recruiting, but given some of the topics posted here, he should be fired.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry, I guess my writing is not completely clear. I do think you should judge based upon win loss record. Which is my basic point, his first two years have been 10 win seasons, so why on earth would some already write him off as if he has had a 5 year track record here?
10 wins is nothing to brag about in a 14 game season with 3 sacrificial lambs, UK, Vandy and SC on your schedule. That should be 6 automatic wins every year. Add in a mediocre UT, UGA and a lousy Mizzou and you can do the math for yourself.
We simply have not competed against the big dogs. 2-8 versus ranked teams and the losses have been totally lopsided. I'm not happy with those results...at all. I hope he figures it out but I wouldn't bet on it.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
10 wins is nothing to brag about in a 14 game season with 3 sacrificial lambs, UK, Vandy and SC on your schedule. That should be 6 automatic wins every year. Add in a mediocre UT, UGA and a lousy Mizzou and you can do the math for yourself.
We simply have not competed against the big dogs. 2-8 versus ranked teams and the losses have been totally lopsided. I'm not happy with those results...at all. I hope he figures it out but I wouldn't bet on it.
And this is where we just agree to disagree. The way I see it is that we haven't lost a game where we were clearly supposed to win (see georgia southern, vandy) and we have won a few that we weren't supposed to (Ole miss, LSU). Yes, the East is down, but why didn't Georgia or Tenn win it? Would I like to have seen us be more competitive in our losses, absolutely, but I'm not going to write him off as a coach because of those losses like you apparently have. Which is disappointing to me because that means there is nothing he can do in the future that will make you a supporter. And I genuinely do not mean that in a negative way. I understand your position, I just dont agree with it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
And this is where we just agree to disagree. The way I see it is that we haven't lost a game where we were clearly supposed to win (see georgia southern, vandy) and we have won a few that we weren't supposed to (Ole miss, LSU). Yes, the East is down, but why didn't Georgia or Tenn win it? Would I like to have seen us be more competitive in our losses, absolutely, but I'm not going to write him off as a coach because of those losses like you apparently have. Which is disappointing to me because that means there is nothing he can do in the future that will make you a supporter. And I genuinely do not mean that in a negative way. I understand your position, I just dont agree with it.
I'll always support the Gators...but I won't always support an inferior coaching staff. I think it's foolish to do so. Furthermore, simply because I think he's in over his head doesn't mean he's not capable of proving me wrong, it remains to be seen. I just can't stomach being mired in mediocrity when we've all seen with our own eyes what this program is capable of being with a talented coaching staff.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Predicting the future is not easy. We should probably leave it to the professionals.
1374536704000-Carnac-Master-Photo-NUP-108128-0003-1307230909_3_4.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The way I see it is that we haven't lost a game where we were clearly supposed to win .
People used to say this about Zook. Its ok to lose 4 or 5 games as long as you were underdogs in the game (bc you are a poor coach and people bet against you when you play mediocre teams).

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah and everybody said before the season that we were going to lose that game.
I remember a lot of concern about that game. I was one of the ones. Why? Because despite Bert sucking hind tit, I had legitimate concerns that Mick was even worse.

We only lose games we weren't expected to win is a real convenient statement when we are underdogs in a lot of games each season. I'd like to know why we are underdogs that much, and why it seems that's ok with some fans.

The reason we are dogs a lot is because we aren't expected to win; the reason we aren't expected to win is because we aren't very good... whose fault is that? This is elementary school level logic people, it's not hard.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah and everybody said before the season that we were going to lose that game.
I could look at a Zook, Mushchump or Butters kind of coach and know we are going to lose 4 or 5 games and most games vs ranked teams.

I knew we were going to win most of those games with our good coaches.

Celebrating a four loss coach is foreign to me. At least w Zook and Chimp we werent getting blown out once a month though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zook regularly lost games he should've won. He's teams were loaded and often favored. Don't rewrite history. Zook teams won games they shouldn't have won because there was so much talent they overcame his ineptitude.
You mean like LSU, Tinerc (then a top 5 team), and FSU? Unranked Cowbell on the road?

Butters just lost to Tinerc , LSU last year, top 5 Bammer twice, FSU twice, and unranked Arky on the road?

Off the top of my head, Id guess or suspect that Zook had a much better record vs ranked teams. Anyone want to look it up?

Yes, Zook had better talent. He was a far, far superior recruiter for sure.

Not sure that losing four-five games with great talent bc you cant coach is much different than losing four-five games with mediocre talent bc you cant recruit. Im pretty convinced that these 50 yo men arent going to change much. Zook was never going to be an elite coach and Butters is never going to be an elite recruiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb