Miami TSA striking

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swamp Donkey, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Majestic Pirate Angel
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $33,607
    Ratings:
    +58,111 / -2,265
    • AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,986
      Ratings:
      +6,314 / -164
    • Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $6,269
      Ratings:
      +12,861 / -44
      ALL federal govt unions exist by EO only, not law. Trump should end ALL by pen, Skip the phone

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,319
        Ratings:
        +3,989 / -258
        This could be Trump's air traffic controllers moment.

• Bammer

Bammer Serving up sh*t sandwiches
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,376
          Ratings:
          +4,193 / -59
          I hope to God he does it. Those sorry ass MFs need to be fired, every f-ing one of them. I'd love to be there to watch it.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,899
            Ratings:
            +8,384 / -23
            If your an American citizen you get body scanned and searched at the airport but if you're from Bangladesh stop by Mexico grab a taco come on in.

• no1g8r

no1g8r Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,131
            Ratings:
            +1,163 / -20
            Back before 9/11 the screenings were done by private companies contracted by either the airlines or the airports. In general the screeners were considerate and friendly. They weren't paid much, and they didn't receive much training, and weren't really very effective, but that is understandable considering that America had never had anything like this happen.

After 9/11, the bureaucrats implemented the "never let a good crisis go to waste" approach, and came up with the phrase "You can't professionalize if you don't federalize" (South Dakota Dem. Senator Tom Daschle). To a constructionist like me, those words were like a punch to the pit of my stomach. While I'd love to blame this statist power-grab on the dems, the bill to "professionalize" passed the senate 100-0. Fortunately, at least, Tom Daschle lost his senate seat in the next election, in 2004.

TSA screeners are paid about 5 times as much as the old screeners were, and are part of the Association of Federal Government Employees Union (AGFA). In major airports they are neither considerate nor friendly, and they still aren't very effective.

I'm fine with going back to private contractors handling the screenings, paid for by the airlines, but with just enough oversight to make sure that reasonable screening standards are being enforced. No better place to start than at an airport where TSA is striking, such as MIA.