Miami vs. UF Series

Jun 2, 2015
I recently came across why Miami & UF stopped the yearly game in 1987. First of all Spurrer wanted to continue the series as did Miami, however, the SEC added a 6th game (I think it was a home game) & UF had to choose between keeping Miami or FSU and UF felt they had more in common or interest in FSU. I always heard the FL govt. put pressure to keep FSU, but don't know that for a fact. They played each year from 1944 to 1987. One interesting factor that I did not know was that in 1943 (WW2 era) UF did not field a team and did not play at all that year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I recently came across why Miami & UF stopped the yearly game in 1987. First of all Spurrer wanted to continue the series as did Miami, however, the SEC added a 6th game (I think it was a home game) & UF had to choose between keeping Miami or FSU and UF felt they had more in common or interest in FSU. I always heard the FL govt. put pressure to keep FSU, but don't know that for a fact. They played each year from 1944 to 1987. One interesting factor that I did not know was that in 1943 (WW2 era) UF did not field a team and did not play at all that year.

It largely had to do with us losing a home game every year already with the uga game in Jax. But we already had tenn, Aub, Lsu(granted terrible at the time) uga, three other random SEC teams and fsu. Something had to give, and miami was the decision. Sucks because of the rivalry history, but it was the smart move given the way the ground shifted beneath our feet within conference.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
*every other year

Technically yes. But businesses in Gainesville gain nothing by us wearing blue tops in Jax next season. There’s still a financial hit for that game. But either way, as you said, on odd years we would only have 6 home games of the 12. Given all the other cards, that simply makes no sense for the university.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
It largely had to do with us losing a home game every year already with the uga game in Jax. But we already had tenn, Aub, Lsu(granted terrible at the time) uga, three other random SEC teams and fsu. Something had to give, and miami was the decision. Sucks because of the rivalry history, but it was the smart move given the way the ground shifted beneath our feet within conference.

Technically, we did not start playing Tinercee annually until 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams, split onto E vs W divisions and implemented a 7 game schedule.

UF & UT played 2 x in the 80's, '84 & '85. UT rotated back onto the schedule in 90 & 91 by happenstance.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Technically, we did not start playing Tinercee annually until 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams, split onto E vs W divisions and implemented a 7 game schedule.

UF & UT played 2 x in the 80's, '84 & '85. UT rotated back onto the schedule in 90 & 91 by happenstance.

Fair enough. I guess we may have known about 90-91, but not the additions and split to come. And they weren’t even a great team at the time. In general though, 8 SEC teams, however they fall, including a neutral site annually, plus fsu, only left two games. From a strategic and fiscal standpoint, we had to make a smart business decision and we did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator