Michigan's annual paid vacation for the football team: South Africa

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Michigan is taking the team on an "educational trip" to South Africa this year. This is such a scam and a mega recruiting advantage. I can't believe this is allowed by the NCAA. Basketball teams are allowed to play in an abroad tournament every 5 years or something like that, not sure how taking your team to Italy, France, and South Africa isn't anything but a recruiting advantage. Why not just hand out $8,000 or whatever the cost is?

They spent $800K in 2017 going to Italy:
Michigan's trip to Italy cost $800K

Michigan announces spring tour destination for 2019

Michigan’s annual spring field trip will head to South Africa in 2019. Wolverines director of football operations Mark Taurisani announced the destination on Twitter on Tuesday.

(from footballscoop):

This will be the first voyage to Africa for Michigan. The Wolverines visited Italy in 2017 and France last season. Michigan practiced in Italy but did not do so in France and will not in South Africa either.

Donors have covered the costs of Michigan’s trips, primarily U-M alum Bobby Kotick.

The excursion will leave after the end of Michigan’s spring semester. The Wolverines will play their spring game on April 13.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure how this is not extra benefits. Are plane trips and free vacations not worth $$$?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it’s well worth it when you consider all the trophies they’ve accumulated from it. :hahaha:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
To be fair, they need significant recovery time following that beat down they barely survived in Atlanta.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope they all get robbed and Harbough gets taken hostage by human traffickers. South Africa ain’t the safest place in the world.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope they all get robbed and Harbough gets taken hostage by human traffickers. South Africa ain’t the safest place in the world.

That's a tad bit harsh, don't you think? I do agree it's not the smartest place to take a vacation. Especially if you're bringing the non-AA players along. They aren't well liked in that part of the world just now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Corch said he went there in the 80s and it was great.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure how this is not extra benefits. Are plane trips and free vacations not worth $$$?
I am wondering the same thing - especially as a booster is covering the expenses. Maybe if we pooled all of our Oxbucks we could send our guys on trip. Think we’d have enough to get them to Micanopy?

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
Is only Meatchicken allowed to do this? I mean I understand that under the Fooley regime this kind of thing would never happen because we have to pay for the underwater basket weaving team competitions, but if we had an AD that wanted to put the team on an “educational trip” like theirs could we? If it is allowed why isn’t Lil Nicky Satan or Kirby doing it too? Lots of waste for little reward on the trail I guess?

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
They can take an entire effing team to friggin Africa, but a coach can't buy a player a burger from steak n shake ? WTF!!!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Corch said he went there in the 80s and it was great.

Can't speak to what it was like in the 80s, but South Africa is a beautiful country (and beautiful people as well). Very unique blend of cultures.

Would be a shame if things went down the toilet there with a lot of the policies they're proposing.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I know a few South African Doctors that now practice here. They cry at what’s become of South Africa.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

If I'm a white player on the team, no way in hell that I go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator