Mick Hubert and McGriff

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I was listening to WRUF back in the 90's and some dumbass student intern was reading an intro. She apparently had no idea who Mick Hubert was. She struggled with the name, eventually introducing him as "Mark Herbert" :facepalm:

Anyway.

I'm not a Mick Hubert fan.
I said what I said.

We had Otis Boggs who was before my time but folks loved listening to him. He was replaced by David Steele who ditched us to join the Orlando Magic :facepalm: which led to us Hubert.

He's better than the Voice of the 'Canes Joe Zagacki (who is the absolute worst) but even the Voice of the Knights Marc Daniels (a UF alum) is much better than Hubert and as much as it pains me to say it, even that assnole Gene Deckerhoff (a traitorous UF alum) is better.

I don't have a problem with Mick's voice (though I'd prefer a little more southern in it), it's the content that's sorely wanting.

Hubert is mediocre; pedestrian at best. He's had two good calls that stand out in my memory, Green is behind the defense and Doering's got a touchdown. Everything else is forgettable clichés. His "oh my" is stolen, his "book it" is tiresome, and his "touchdown, tailor made" has been recycled enough times (Fred Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Travis Taylor, Kelvin Taylor) to make you sick. You gotta know ole Mick was praying Jeawon Taylor would get a pick 6 or maybe Jawaan Taylor would catch a TD on a tackle eligible play so he could add a couple more "tailor mades" to his collection.

I'd fire Hubert and either hire Marc Daniels or bring in James Bates to see what he can do on the big stage. Bates is funny, has a good voice, and he's a Gator. Marc Daniels is smart and has a good voice, but boy does he have a face made for radio.

Alex.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was listening to WRUF back in the 90's and some dumbass student intern was reading an intro. She apparently had no idea who Mick Hubert was. She struggled with the name, eventually introducing him as "Mark Herbert" :facepalm:

Anyway.

I said what I said.

We had Otis Boggs who was before my time but folks loved listening to him. He was replaced by David Steele who ditched us to join the Orlando Magic :facepalm: which led to us Hubert.

He's better than the Voice of the 'Canes Joe Zagacki (who is the absolute worst) but even the Voice of the Knights Marc Daniels (a UF alum) is much better than Hubert and as much as it pains me to say it, even that assnole Gene Deckerhoff (a traitorous UF alum) is better.

I don't have a problem with Mick's voice (though I'd prefer a little more southern in it), it's the content that's sorely wanting.

Hubert is mediocre; pedestrian at best. He's had two good calls that stand out in my memory, Green is behind the defense and Doering's got a touchdown. Everything else is forgettable clichés. His "oh my" is stolen, his "book it" is tiresome, and his "touchdown, tailor made" has been recycled enough times (Fred Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Travis Taylor, Kelvin Taylor) to make you sick. You gotta know ole Mick was praying Jeawon Taylor would get a pick 6 or maybe Jawaan Taylor would catch a TD on a tackle eligible play so he could add a couple more "tailor mades" to his collection.

I'd fire Hubert and either hire Marc Daniels or bring in James Bates to see what he can do on the big stage. Bates is funny, has a good voice, and he's a Gator. Marc Daniels is smart and has a good voice, but boy does he have a face made for radio.

Alex.

Alex,

I was with you until the Deckerhoff comment... fuch Deckerhoff and his shows on WDAE.... that Jameis apologizist sucks more dong than you did to get through law school.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alex,

I was with you until the Deckerhoff comment... fuch Deckerhoff and his shows on WDAE.... that Jameis apologizist sucks more dong than you did to get through law school.

Simmer down Dougie. I'd never listen to him call an FSU game. I have heard his calls of Tampa Bay Bucs games (but only when Jameis wasn't on the team). I understand he used to call the Bandits games (and I was a Bandits fan, SOS as head coach, Reaves as QB, great offense) but I don't have any specific recollection of the announcer.

Alex.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I said what I said.

Everything else is forgettable clichés. His "oh my" is stolen, his "book it" is tiresome, and his "touchdown, tailor made" has been recycled enough times (Fred Taylor, Taylor Jacobs, Travis Taylor, Kelvin Taylor) to make you sick. You gotta know ole Mick was praying Jeawon Taylor would get a pick 6 or maybe Jawaan Taylor would catch a TD on a tackle eligible play so he could add a couple more "tailor mades" to his collection.

:bananaburn: You must be a lot of fun at parties.

:lol:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Alex,

I seem to recall that, according to the donkey, sucking dong is one of the nobler aspects of being a member of the bar. Although I am not in a position to speak authoritatively on either endeavor (despite being a designated a total cucksocker by the the town drunk), I strongly suspect that the jackass can be trusted to render an expert opinion in such matters. Just sayin.'

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Anyway.

I said what I said.

Alex.

I am sure we will get slammed but I agree with you on Mic. He reminds me of a parody of a broadcaster versus an actual professional.

My childhood was lived with Otis Boggs so he will always be special but I actually preferred David Steele. He was a good football announcer but he was a fantastic basketball play by play guy. Being a longtime gator basketball fan I always appreciated his flair for the truly dramatic versus the manufactured or forced drama from Mic.

It never surprised me that Steele took the Magic job since basketball was clearly his forte. I can still hear some of his comments during basketball games in the eighties.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
As a former WRUF-FM employee in the early to mid-eighties, I concur. I grew up listening to Otis, he was a fantastic announcer; and I wandered over to the AM side on many occasions to chat with Otis and Jim Finch (“Heeeeeere come the Gators!). It was weird to see him in person after listening to him for so long.
Steele had a great voice and it was disappointing to see him take off.
Vettel was kind of a tool, but not too bad with the analysis.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As a former WRUF-FM employee in the early to mid-eighties, I concur. I grew up listening to Otis, he was a fantastic announcer; and I wandered over to the AM side on many occasions to chat with Otis and Jim Finch (“Heeeeeere come the Gators!). It was weird to see him in person after listening to him for so long.
Steele had a great voice and it was disappointing to see him take off.
Vettel was kind of a tool, but not too bad with the analysis.

My Gator basketball announcing dream team would be David Steele paired with Mark Wise.

I always wondered how long it would take for ESPN grab Mark Wise because his analysis is way better than any of the other guys we have had as well as any team specific color guy I have ever heard.

Lee Humphrey gets better each season but he is following the master as far as I see it.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to recall that, according to the donkey, sucking dong is one of the nobler aspects of being a member of the bar. Although I am not in a position to speak authoritatively on either endeavor (despite being a designated a total cucksocker by the the town drunk), I strongly suspect that the jackass can be trusted to render an expert opinion in such matters. Just sayin.'

If you sucked off the town drunk, even at a moment of indiscretion and even if only once, you are a cocksucker. it's a bell that you can't unring, lizardbreath, unfortunately. But it does unravel the mystery of where your screen name came from.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Simmer down Dougie. I'd never listen to him call an FSU game. I have heard his calls of Tampa Bay Bucs games (but only when Jameis wasn't on the team). I understand he used to call the Bandits games (and I was a Bandits fan, SOS as head coach, Reaves as QB, great offense) but I don't have any specific recollection of the announcer.

Alex.

We all noticed that you didn't dispute the sucking of the dong to get through law school.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Anyway.

I said what I said.

Alex.

I agree Re: Daniels and he has high integrity on his radio show, too. I like Mick but I really don’t like McGriff. He sounds like he’s reading a coloring book to a 5-year-old.

Otis Bogg’s on-air partner for many years was Ted Covington, who also voiced Badcock commercials “Buy with confidence from people who care” for a long time in the 70’s & 80’s. I got to know him very well. I think he had the call on the SOS FG vs. Auburn. Great great guy. Died a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.