Mick Hubert to Retire

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
FF has an argument against EVERYTHING UF in every post, gotta love it. He very rarely praises anything UF. Thanks to Jay for pointing that out.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I assume that this will not be a popular view but I always felt that David Steele was better than Mic Hubert.
I liked Steele too. But Huberts call on the Doering TD was a classic in my mind. Some friends and I were at a sports bar in Jacksonville ( a gator hang out) and the entire bar erupted with the same enthusiasm as Mick.

We need that MOJO back.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
No doubt Mick bleeds orange and blue. It'll be weird not hearing his voice calling football and basketball anymore. He did a lot for UF and the Gators and think he should be in the Ring of Honor. Make an exception to the rules.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
FF has an argument against EVERYTHING UF in every post, gotta love it. He very rarely praises anything UF. Thanks to Jay for pointing that out.

If anyone has ever seen a positive post from FF they should link it.. There might be one but I have never seen it. Although I admit I do ignore most of his posts for that reason.. I assumed he was a distant relative of my wife...

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Mick was a true Gator and will be missed by many.
Sometimes I think he tried a little too hard with the oh myyyyys , I would like to see his replacement be a no nonsense , smart and funny guy like a John Madden……….maybe Chris Doering

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I loved Mick’s calls. Not a fan of Lee McGriff. Seems to me Bates would be great as the color analyst but is he a play by play guy?

Cardozo is ok with baseball. They’ve used Tate Casey on the sideline…

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bates has done PxP. He did it for CBS in the Mountain West. I heard that he’s thrown his hat in the ring for the UF job.

Doering is an analyst, don’t think he’s ever done PxP.

Alex.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I agree with everything River Rat said. Once I was used to his style I looked forward to his broadcasts. He is a big part of the Gator family and I will miss him. Hope his upcoming years are comfortable and satisfying.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Watching Fl SC on ESPN + and Mick is doing a great job calling the game and is quite enjoyable to listen to .
He thanking a lot of people for their well wishes. I like the more subdued Mick.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mick was a true Gator and will be missed by many.
Sometimes I think he tried a little too hard with the oh myyyyys , I would like to see his replacement be a no nonsense , smart and funny guy like a John Madden……….maybe Chris Doering

I can’t go along with Chris Doering for many reasons.
For starters his real expertise is talking about Chris Doering, beyond that he only repeats what team reps tell him.
In addition I would imagine that the position would include some kind of morals clause thus eliminating Doering from consideration.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I can’t go along with Chris Doering for many reasons.
For starters his real expertise is talking about Chris Doering, beyond that he only repeats what team reps tell him.
In addition I would imagine that the position would include some kind of morals clause thus eliminating Doering from consideration.
Dang it man! Chris must have foreclosed on your house sorry to hear.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
No doubt Mick bleeds orange and blue. It'll be weird not hearing his voice calling football and basketball anymore. He did a lot for UF and the Gators and think he should be in the Ring of Honor. Make an exception to the rules.

NO. As I stated earlier, I think Mick did a great job, but…

I think he deserves a spot in the UF HOF, but the ROH is more than just a bridge too far. That is reserved for the most elite of elite Gator Greats.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Id take Mick in the ROH over Liar....but thats just me apparently.

I don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling for meyer, but he won 2 MNCs and SECs. Mick was a fan with a microphone. I just don’t see Mick on the same level as SOS and the others who made it happen on the field.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Mick came along at the greatest time in gator history. And did an outstanding job of narrating it. I grew up on Otis Boggs and was able to follow great gators before TV broadcast it all. Mick was fun and had that everyman sort of persona. HOF for sure. Urban was not an Urban myth. He brought the hardware and great players. ROH for damn sure...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.