Gator Baseball Mike Martin retires; names frog's testicle of a son his replacement

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was a hell of a gesture from Sully. Has FSU named a replacement? I hope it's not his POS son...

I hope it is his POS son. He sucks more as a coach than his dad does.
It has been speculated that he hired Jr. with the idea that he would eventually ascend to the top spot when dad stepped down. In the way, however, was Jamey Shouppe, a pitcher who played for Martin Sr. and spent a few years in the majors. Shouppe was the pitching coach and likely the best candidate to take over the program. Shouppe was from Chattahoochee and was a pretty good guy (despite being a Nole). Martin cut him loose a few years back, presumably to get him out of the way for Jr. You may remember that Shouppe coached FAMU to a win over us a couple of years ago. Really glad if Jr. becomes the guy. What they deserve. For what it's worth, Jr. and some of his pals came over to Quincy one night when he was in high school and damaged some gravestones in one of the old city cemetaries. Got a slap on the wrist as I recall. His character fits right in with the perception of what is required by the Noles.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It has been speculated that he hired Jr. with the idea that he would eventually ascend to the top spot when dad stepped down. In the way, however, was Jamey Shouppe, a pitcher who played for Martin Sr. and spent a few years in the majors. Shouppe was the pitching coach and likely the best candidate to take over the program. Shouppe was from Chattahoochee and was a pretty good guy (despite being a Nole). Martin cut him loose a few years back, presumably to get him out of the way for Jr. You may remember that Shouppe coached FAMU to a win over us a couple of years ago. Really glad if Jr. becomes the guy. What they deserve. For what it's worth, Jr. and some of his pals came over to Quincy one night when he was in high school and damaged some gravestones in one of the old city cemetaries. Got a slap on the wrist as I recall. His character fits right in with the perception of what is required by the Noles.

When I was at UF (93-95, I was a JUCO transfer) Junior was a player at FSU. I went to a game w/ some buddies, snuck in a bottle of SoCo and got pretty hammered. FSU won the game and they had a crowd of about 50+ fans in the stands doing their stupid BS, acting like it was an FSU home game. I started taunting Junior about halfway through the game. After the game was over I was on the fence behind home plate yelling, "Daddy's Boy!!! Daddy's Boy!! The only reason I'm on the team is because of my Daddy!!" I did that a few times, he turned and looked at me and I kept on his ass....next thing I know I'm surrounded by about 10 of the FSU group and a near brawl almost ensued! True story.

Then....in 2010-ish I was in Newport, RI working a military/terrorism state-wide exercise for the Coast Guard. We finished up around noon the last day and I wasn't scheduled to fly out until the next morning. So I hopped into the rental car and drove up to Boston, parked at Harvard Medical and scalped a ticket to the Red Sox game that night. Before the game, I went to a bar that is in the outfield of the stadium. They open a large garage door and you are literally 2 to 3 feet from the outfield inside the stadium - they allow people to rotate into the prime seats for several minutes and watch the warmups (they close the door during the games). Well, unbeknownst to me, FSU was in town playing BC. In walks Junior and some of his buddies (I'm assuming other coaches and/or trainers, definitely not any players). He sits right down next to me. I end up talking to them, told them I went to UF, and told him I "met" him many years ago. True story!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
When I was at UF (93-95, I was a JUCO transfer) Junior was a player at FSU. I went to a game w/ some buddies, snuck in a bottle of SoCo and got pretty hammered. FSU won the game and they had a crowd of about 50+ fans in the stands doing their stupid BS, acting like it was an FSU home game. I started taunting Junior about halfway through the game. After the game was over I was on the fence behind home plate yelling, "Daddy's Boy!!! Daddy's Boy!! The only reason I'm on the team is because of my Daddy!!" I did that a few times, he turned and looked at me and I kept on his ass....next thing I know I'm surrounded by about 10 of the FSU group and a near brawl almost ensued! True story.

Then....in 2010-ish I was in Newport, RI working a military/terrorism state-wide exercise for the Coast Guard. We finished up around noon the last day and I wasn't scheduled to fly out until the next morning. So I hopped into the rental car and drove up to Boston, parked at Harvard Medical and scalped a ticket to the Red Sox game that night. Before the game, I went to a bar that is in the outfield of the stadium. They open a large garage door and you are literally 2 to 3 feet from the outfield inside the stadium - they allow people to rotate into the prime seats for several minutes and watch the warmups (they close the door during the games). Well, unbeknownst to me, FSU was in town playing BC. In walks Junior and some of his buddies (I'm assuming other coaches and/or trainers, definitely not any players). He sits right down next to me. I end up talking to them, told them I went to UF, and told him I "met" him many years ago. True story!
But did you call him "Daddy's boy" again?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
But did you call him "Daddy's boy" again?

No, but I'm sure he would have remembered. It was a full on scene inside McKeathan! Funny thing also, I was at the game w/ a former FSU baseball player who was HS friends w/ one of my buddies (he was a FCCJ JUCO transfer who was later drafted in the 2nd round - Jimmie Lewis. He blew out his arm and never made the bigs). I'd known Jimmie since HS and went to the same JUCO. Jimmie was the one who mitigated the near brawl! :D

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
No, but I'm sure he would have remembered. It was a full on scene inside McKeathan! Funny thing also, I was at the game w/ a former FSU baseball player who was HS friends w/ one of my buddies (he was a FCCJ JUCO transfer who was later drafted in the 2nd round - Jimmie Lewis. He blew out his arm and never made the bigs). I'd known Jimmie since HS and went to the same JUCO. Jimmie was the one who mitigated the near brawl! :D
Might have been epic if you had.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Just saw this thread

T (@tayruf) tweeted at 11:15 PM on Wed, Jun 19, 2019:
“I really just spent 40 yrs w this program for them not to get me any natties” T on Twitter
()

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Go look up the talent Martin has had over the years. He truly is one of the biggest choke artists in coaching history. I'd say top 5.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All the Noles up this way are anxiously awaiting the naming of Martin's successor. They're looking for a "knock out" hire. Trouble is, there's really no such thing in college baseball. You usually try and find one of the best assistants at a top program (e.g. O'Sullivan) or promote from within (which is most likely to happen). Rarely do you get a big name moving laterally. The guy that's applied and interviewed that they should hire IMO is Jeff Johnson from Chipola. Great technical coach, sells his program really well, highly successful, great recruiter with a Dominican connection. Problem is, he isn't what they consider a "knock out" hire. Not big time enough. Probably be Jr. and not him. Good for us.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Gawd thats embarrasing. You gotta read a script to remember to tell the defense to play hard. Old fart should have hung it up 15 years prior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.