Miles Garrett hits QB over the head with helmet; claims "racial slur" a week later

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This was worthy of its own thread, especially Pouncey going ballistic and kicking the guy in the head. :lol: Hard to blame him after that.

Discuss.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of someone ripping off an opposing player’s helmet and bashing them in the head with it. He should be gone a full 16 games. I think the other guys involved will get some type of suspension, Pouncey will probably get the worst of it. Staggering, nonetheless.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think I’ve ever seen or heard of someone ripping off an opposing player’s helmet and bashing them in the head with it. He should be gone a full 16 games. I think the other guys involved will get some type of suspension, Pouncey will probably get the worst of it. Staggering, nonetheless.
They should probably fine Pouncey but how can they justify suspending him after what he just witnessed? He should get a pass for protecting his QB.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They should probably fine Pouncey but how can they justify suspending him after what he just witnessed? He should get a pass for protecting his QB.
They have to at least set a precedent that you can’t stomp on a guy’s head, retribution or not. I don’t blame him one bit, f*ck Garrett, but the NFL has to nip it in the bud.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How about tough guy #65 hitting helmet less Rudolph in the back afterward?
Neither POS 65 or sack of **** Garrett should see a snap the rest of the season.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
DeCastro was a peacemaker. He didn't swing and after the helmet strike, he took Garrett down and covered him. If anything, he deserves a damn award for keeping his cool. He actually makes Pouncey look bad.

Garrett will be done for the rest of the season. Remember Albert Haynsworth? Stomped on a player's face? Some 30 stitches? He got 5 games.

These teams play again in 2 weeks. I think we'll see some 2 game suspensions to keep some of the hotheads out of that rematch in Pittsburgh.

Pouncy was justified in swinging at Garrett at first. Garrett was engaged in assault and battery with a weapon. Defense of others is analogous to self-defense. The problem is what happened after DeCastro took Garrett down. At this point Garrett is helpless and no threat to anybody. That's the kick part and the last punch. That's the part he'll be punished for.

The other Browns DE who hit the helmetless QB? What a fcuking Bleich that guy is. Coming to Garrett's aid by hitting a helmetless QB 5 yards away from the fight?

Mason did take offense to Garrett hitting him and driving him into the ground after the ball was thrown. He was tugging at Garrett's helmet and that led to Garrett losing his mind. Some will say Rudolph's actions instigated the whole thing, others will say it was Garrett driving him into the turf. Either way, Mason Rudolph isn't completely innocent.

Regardless, there were multiple penalties that game for illegal hands to the face. That's illegal but it's part of the game. We've all seen helmets ripped off before. If the whole thing stopped when Garrett ripped the helmet off, it would have been bad, but something that happens in football. Swinging the helmet at Rudolph's head crosses a line. That changes everything. To use the self-defense analogy, you can use similar level force in retaliation. If a guy comes at you with a gun, you can shoot him in self-defense. If a guy dumps a beer on you and pushes you down, you can't shoot him because he's not using deadly force against you. Garrett escalated it to a different level when he swung the helmet going far beyond any reasonable retaliation.

Last thought...this game was full of ugly penalties including an ejection for a nasty helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless Steeler WR. I'm pretty sure he was badly concussed and bleeding out of his ear. That WR was hurt far worse than Mason Rudolph. It was the worst kind of helmet-to-helmet, a launch and strike to the side of the WR's helmet. I wonder if the NFL will look at the whole game and maybe spread the fines and suspensions around. There was a helmet-to-helmet hit on Rudolph (PF, no ejection) on a play where JuJu was also hit helmet-to-helmet and knocked out (no penalty). To me it seemed like Browns Coach Freddie Kitchens told his team to be tough and not let the Steelers bully them, punch them in the mouth, that kind of stuff. I think the rookie head coach has a discipline problem with his team.

Here is a video of the hit that led to the ejection. It does not show the WR clearly concussed and stumbling to the sideline with help while blood is running out of his ear:

Alex.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Credit to Steve Smith for his take. In a world of “that’s not him” and excuses by the other two(one of whom is a coke head, shocker)he lays it out there pretty well. And the reactions from all three player interviews are exactly what’s wrong with the league. Very little accountability at all, with Garret seemingly the most grounded. Just an ugly look.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Credit to Steve Smith for his take. In a world of “that’s not him” and excuses by the other two(one of whom is a coke head, shocker)he lays it out there pretty well. And the reactions from all three player interviews are exactly what’s wrong with the league. Very little accountability at all, with Garret seemingly the most grounded. Just an ugly look.

Eagles fan attacks a Former Cowboys player.... while getting his batteries ready to throw at Santa... shocker.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Eagles fan attacks a Former Cowboys player.... while getting his batteries ready to throw at Santa... shocker.

There was never any evidence of batteries.

Part of me is glad your old LB Rolando McLain wasn’t out there. I can only imagine what he would’ve done. Though, I guess technically there weren’t any women involved, so...

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There was never any evidence of batteries.

Part of me is glad your old LB Rolando McLain wasn’t out there. I can only imagine what he would’ve done. Though, I guess technically there weren’t any women involved, so...

Rolando McLain was drugs, you are think DE Greg Hardy...

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Garrett needs to be gone. The majority of Pounceys reaction came after he hit Rudolph in the head with the helmet. That was a gloves totally off type moment. He deserves the brunt of everything and then the other Cleveland player that came out of nowhere to level Rudolph too. Pouncey, even though a jackass, did what most would do and go to war for their qb

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Rolando McLain was drugs, you are think DE Greg Hardy...

You’re right.

I actually am good friends with the ex-wife and daughter of Irvin’s first cousin. They obviously know him quite well and used to have VIP at Cowboys games. According to them, he’s not a bad guy, but was a definite wild man that she wouldn’t allow her then-husband to hang out with after games.

They also spoke glowingly of Philly fans, fwiw. Even at Lincoln. Just fantastic people.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The other Browns DE who hit the helmetless QB? What a fcuking Bleich that guy is. Coming to Garrett's aid by hitting a helmetless QB 5 yards away from the fight?
That particular asswipe said he was just "coming to the defense" of his teammate. Yes, by hitting a QB in the back standing away from the fight. It was a horribly cowardly move, damn near as embarrassing as the helmet.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The closest thing I've ever seen to that shyt was in 6th grade in Rec. football. A bigger kid on my team yanked his own helmet off an swung his helmet haymaker style and hit a much smaller kid on the other team in the back of the helmet as he was walking away during a game. There were parents fighting on the field within seconds :lol:.

Garrett should go to jail, Pouncey should get a pass and the coward who hit the helmetless QB in the back after the incident needs his ass kicked.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Couple of teammates on my middle school team got "huffy" with one another back in the early 70's. One took his helmet off in preparation for the "fight". One was scared and the other was glad of it!

Anyhow, the assistant coach that intervened between the brawlers told us never take off your helmet in a fight, the other guy may take it away from you and beat you with it. So, the concept of football helmet as a weapon did not just originate last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.