Miles Garrett hits QB over the head with helmet; claims "racial slur" a week later

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Bronco Nagurski's helmet was padded, offering protection to his own head and some protection to other players hit by his externally padded helmet. Today rules are changed and everyone wrings their hands fearing the helmet as a deadly weapon, even when it is on the players head. The helmets are carefully engineered to protect the players wearing them. It would be very easy to add some external padding to offer some protection to player's hit by the helmet. Why isn't external padding required?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Bronco Nagurski's helmet was padded, offering protection to his own head and some protection to other players hit by his externally padded helmet. Today rules are changed and everyone wrings their hands fearing the helmet as a deadly weapon, even when it is on the players head. The helmets are carefully engineered to protect the players wearing them. It would be very easy to add some external padding to offer some protection to player's hit by the helmet. Why isn't external padding required?
:ugh:

Not sure how else to respond to this. I usually don't ask for emergency contacts, but if you could PM me some names and numbers of some family members that would be great.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Not sure how else to respond to this. I usually don't ask for emergency contacts, but if you could PM me some names and numbers of some family members that would be great.
Really, Ox? We are willing to change the way football is played with ejections for targeting, interminable delays while officials study who lowered their head first and whether the player was defenseless, but suggesting the addition of padding the outside of the helmet means that I need medical help? I am beginning to think that one of us needs help, but that it is not I.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Really, Ox? We are willing to change the way football is played with ejections for targeting, interminable delays while officials study who lowered their head first and whether the player was defenseless, but suggesting the addition of padding the outside of the helmet means that I need medical help? I am beginning to think that one of us needs help, but that it is not I.
Padding outside the helmet would look so ridiculous people would stop watching the games.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

:lmao:

You made me burst out laughing. Scared the person next to me.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Padding outside the helmet would look so ridiculous people would stop watching the games.

My wife says they should glue packing peanuts on the outside of the helmet. Or cotton balls.

Dealer’s choice.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Hope you guys didn't study engineering at UF. Helmet would have to be slightly larger, but external appearance otherwise need not change.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hope you guys didn't study engineering at UF. Helmet would have to be slightly larger, but external appearance otherwise need not change.
Or how about just play flag football?

It's a violent sport, guys are going to be hurt from time to time, despite the pads. If someone doesn't want to take the risks, they can just stick to backgammon.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Isn't flag football the future as the rules continue to change? targeting, kickoffs, etc.
Flag football is my argument, not yours. Flag football is trending with the present helmets.

Atlgator98

Nov 2, 2019
Maybe I’m more Bourbon buzzed than I realize, but I’m pretty impressed by the overall accountability of everyone involved. Feels rare in the NFL. Garrett took accountability (somewhat), as did Pouncey (he should get a medal), Mayfield and Kitchens handled it well. Even the NFL acted swiftly. Yeah the other guy involved needs his ass kicked.

I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. It’s a violent and emotional game. I chucked a ping pong paddle at the wall last weekend narrowly missing my neighbors head. If I had to give a post-game interview, I would have clearly stated that my neighbor was cheating and deserved it. Btw, I had to sleep on the couch that night.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AR sent me some specs so I went ahead and designed a prototype. We'll cut out some eye holes and rock n roll

Attachments

• ostrich-pillow-bean-bag-head.jpg
    ostrich-pillow-bean-bag-head.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 76

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Maybe I’m more Bourbon buzzed than I realize, but I chucked a ping pong paddle at the wall last weekend narrowly missing my neighbors head. If I had to give a post-game interview, I would have clearly stated that my neighbor was cheating and deserved it. Btw, I had to sleep on the couch that night.

Bwah ha haha!
:rotfl:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Garrett should go to jail...
Ive always wondered why they dont. Back in my prosecutor days I surely would have taken it, not just any extra pushing or slightly late hit, but an all out battery like that.

Im not aware of any jurisidictional exceptions to criminal law that exists on a football field.

I did prosecute some arzehole kid (about 26 of course) who mooned the entire graduation once. The university begged us to forgive the moron bc it was a "youthful indiscretion" and the university should have sole jurisdiction. We laughed at them.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Things never reached that point. They tried getting corroborating stories from eye witnesses, but there were only like 100 people in the stands.

... and those hundred were watching a fight in the stands.

... outward deploying air-bags?

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Or how about just play flag football?

It's a violent sport, guys are going to be hurt from time to time, despite the pads. If someone doesn't want to take the risks, they can just stick to backgammon.

I got you covered

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Ive always wondered why they dont. Back in my prosecutor days I surely would have taken it, not just any extra pushing or slightly late hit, but an all out battery like that.

Im not aware of any jurisidictional exceptions to criminal law that exists on a football field.

I did prosecute some arzehole kid (about 26 of course) who mooned the entire graduation once. The university begged us to forgive the moron bc it was a "youthful indiscretion" and the university should have sole jurisdiction. We laughed at them.
If Rudolph declined to press charges, would he still get charged?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Rudolph declined to press charges, would he still get charged?
Yes, Rudolph isnt necessary. Plenty of witnesses and evidence supporting the case.

Not like a DV when the wife backs out and you are left w no evidence.

Last edited:

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
Don't you just love it when guys commit Dirty Plays in front of millions of people then make a statement that " I'm not a dirty player"?

Yes you are!

Just shut up and take your medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator