Million Post Challenge - Science Fiction

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I have been a fan of Science Fiction since I was a young person. Heinlein is my number one, but today I read a lot of military series and alternative history ones.

Harry Turtledove is number one on my list for alternative history. Harry Turtledove - Wikipedia

Southern Victory assumes the South wins the civil war and a different history results. I like it a lot, perhaps others with time to read would as well. Southern Victory - Wikipedia

World War series is another great series. During WWII we are invaded by space aliens, and things are very different. Worldwar series - Wikipedia

Add anything else about SF that you desire.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Starship Troopers is my number one SF novel. It has it all, good for children, plenty of action, lots of things to think about for adults. It is controversial in ways I never imagined. The enemy is a hive mind type of insect, short called Bugs. This is somehow racist, since they attack sort of how Chinese did in the Korean war I guess someone could imagine that.

Starship Troopers - Wikipedia

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I am a fan of hard science fiction, that is science fiction that doesn't violate the laws of physics. Unfortunately that's a small subset of sci-fi. Most is what I consider fantasy. So if it's got FTL travel, anti-gravity or aliens it's out. I'm more interested in the science than the story. The Expanse series is the best I've read and it has been made into a TV series. The author says he wasn't setting out to make hard sci-fi but he's done a pretty good job. Not a lot of other examples. 2001:A Space Odyssey is the epitome of movies although it got a little weird at the end.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I am a fan of hard science fiction, that is science fiction that doesn't violate the laws of physics. Unfortunately that's a small subset of sci-fi. Most is what I consider fantasy. So if it's got FTL travel, anti-gravity or aliens it's out. I'm more interested in the science than the story. The Expanse series is the best I've read and it has been made into a TV series. The author says he wasn't setting out to make hard sci-fi but he's done a pretty good job. Not a lot of other examples. 2001:A Space Odyssey is the epitome of movies although it got a little weird at the end.

I am fine with one or two things that current science does not allow for, especially some FTL concepts since without them lots of things are off limits.

For alternative history you need something that changes the game, but after that you really should keep to the normal physics.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Can we expand this into the fantasy genre as well? Big fan of Jim Butcher, Patrick Rothfuss, and of course George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

As for sci-fi, my favorite is Dune, but I enjoy most of the authors referenced above as well.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Philip Dick, Lovecraft, Ellison, Matheson, Moorcock, Stephen R Donaldson, David Eddings, Larry Niven

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I have been a fan of Science Fiction since I was a young person. Heinlein is my number one, but today I read a lot of military series and alternative history ones.

Harry Turtledove is number one on my list for alternative history. Harry Turtledove - Wikipedia

Southern Victory assumes the South wins the civil war and a different history results. I like it a lot, perhaps others with time to read would as well. Southern Victory - Wikipedia

World War series is another great series. During WWII we are invaded by space aliens, and things are very different. Worldwar series - Wikipedia

Add anything else about SF that you desire.
I started reading Turtledove's Supervolcano series a little while ago

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Can we expand this into the fantasy genre as well? Big fan of Jim Butcher, Patrick Rothfuss, and of course George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

As for sci-fi, my favorite is Dune, but I enjoy most of the authors referenced above as well.

I appreciate it, and since this is to get more posts anything is fine with me.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I discovered Sci Fi in 1967. The bookmobile came by Archer and I found a book called Best SciFi of 1967. Shorts. I was hooked. I actually found that book at a garage sale in 2001 and almost pissed myself. I read so much others stuff I dont get it much anymore. I read some Heinlen last year, short stories.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I am fine with one or two things that current science does not allow for, especially some FTL concepts since without them lots of things are off limits.

For alternative history you need something that changes the game, but after that you really should keep to the normal physics.

Not that I don't enjoy fantasy, but if it's not based on science it's just magic.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Wouldnt you say some of the old SciFi appeared to be fantasy at that time and is now fact?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not that I don't enjoy fantasy, but if it's not based on science it's just magic.

Someone once said that "Magic" is just science that is not well understood. I get your point and fantasy is not something I enjoy that much. Today there is so much written in those areas that I do like no real need to branch out. Family members liked Harry Potter, decent movies not reading the books.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

He who controls the Spice, controls the Universe!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Wouldnt you say some of the old SciFi appeared to be fantasy at that time and is now fact?

You would think that because science might as well be magic to you. But I’m an Engineer so I have a pretty good handle on what is and isn’t possible just from a physics standpoint.
Again its not that I don’t enjoy something like Star Trek. But the so called “science” is techno-babble.
I do prefer science fiction based on actual science though. There’s very little of it but it can be done by a creative writer. For instance FTL travel is not possible however you can get darn close. And there’s been some good sci-fi written that acknowledges the speed limit. Building efficient propulsion systems is an Engineering challenge. And there are designs on the drawing board that could be made to work. Good hard sci-fi addresses the solutions.
We are no where close to cracking AI. Expert systems and mimics yes but sentient AI might as well be magic for as far along as we are in development.
Androids, or something that mimics human movement is also far off. Ex Machina is a 100 years away not a decade.
Anti-gravity isn’t even a thing. There’s no hypothesis on the drawing board that says when we solve this problem we will figure out anti-gravity. Hell gravity is a mystery to us.
Alien contact will never happen either as even if an advanced civilization exists they are subject to the same physics as us.
I like when writers address solutions within the laws of physics.
Tau Zero and The Expanse were good books along those lines. 2001 and The Andromeda Strain also.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You would think that because science might as well be magic to you. But I’m an Engineer so I have a pretty good handle on what is and isn’t possible just from a physics standpoint.
Again its not that I don’t enjoy something like Star Trek. But the so called “science” is techno-babble.
I do prefer science fiction based on actual science though. There’s very little of it but it can be done by a creative writer. For instance FTL travel is not possible however you can get darn close. And there’s been some good sci-fi written that acknowledges the speed limit. Building efficient propulsion systems is an Engineering challenge. And there are designs on the drawing board that could be made to work. Good hard sci-fi addresses the solutions.
We are no where close to cracking AI. Expert systems and mimics yes but sentient AI might as well be magic for as far along as we are in development.
Androids, or something that mimics human movement is also far off. Ex Machina is a 100 years away not a decade.
Anti-gravity isn’t even a thing. There’s no hypothesis on the drawing board that says when we solve this problem we will figure out anti-gravity. Hell gravity is a mystery to us.
Alien contact will never happen either as even if an advanced civilization exists they are subject to the same physics as us.
Tau Zero and The Expanse were good books along those lines. 2001 and The Andromeda Strain also.

Now, you're gonna tell me that Tachyons don't exist. Ruin my day. And that stupid cat...is it dead or not?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

No science is not magic to me, I have a close friend with a Physics degree from UF, is a Black belt in QA. That said I can enjoy some variance with the laws of physics, just not too much. We can be different but still good Gators.

Now how about the idea of generational ships, sure the resources would have to be provided but they might be possible some time in the future.

I totally agree about what some call AI, it is really just an expert system. I had in the far past a person who could estimate how much things could cost but could not tell how he did it. I also remember an engineer who was retiring, they wanted to get his experience duplicated. It worked somewhat, but he told them the solution but had no idea how he knew what it was. AI might never happen, surely not in my lifetime.

Gravity is something that we understand the effects of but as you indicate have no idea how it works. Some think a particle (Graviton) might exist, but I know of no research along these lines that would explain gravity.

The idea that science can be seen as magic is one for less developed civilizations, something that SF sometimes uses for their plot.

Star Trek annoyed my when they limited the warp factor due to some assumed effect it was having on the universe, also Q was annoying and really outside of anything that science might cover today.

Thanks for the conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.