Million Posts Challenge - Famous Scientists

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Jane Goodall. May not exactly be the type you had in mind, but a scientist none the less. Came across this article yesterday and enjoyed the read. As a kid, when National Geographic specials came we always watched.

26760.jpg

/Excerpt: Jane Goodall, how a woman redefined mankind

One of several interesting quotes:
Jane was only the eighth person in the history of the university (Cambridge) to enter a doctorate program without a degree.

On a more humorous note:
At that time—the 1960s—the defining characteristic of man was that he alone, among all the creatures on God’s green Earth, made tools. We called ourselves Man the Toolmaker, and that skill allegedly distinguished us from every other living thing. I find this odd. You would think biologists would have focused on something there was no chance of any other creature ever mastering. Why were we not Man the Terrible Joke Teller? Or Man the Insufferable Fishing Trip Yarn Spinner?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I remember a story about Fermi. He was at the test of the first nuclear weapon and wanted to find out its strength. He used some paper, got up and allowed the blast to move them to determine its strength. Seemed foolish to me considering the risk, but from that data he could determine the power of the bomb was amazing.

Tesla did a lot to create our current electric grid and saving Westinghouse

Topsy the elephant loved Tesla, hated Edison.
:triggered:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I was always fascinated by physics, though I was a marginal student of it at best. One of the more interesting physicists to me was Thomas Gold. Mostly, no doubt, for the breadth of the different discoveries he made and theories he postulated. Some of his theories were later disproved, but for the most part, he staked out controversial, for their time, positions and was usually vindicated. Though not always the most reliable of sources, Wikipedia has an interesting to read entry for Gold.
Thomas Gold - Wikipedia

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He was likely more inventor than scientist, but John Browning has always been very interesting to me. Had to have some great physics and engineering knowledge with the firearms he developed.

My favorite Mormon of all time.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No love for Ron Popeil???

J/K

Let's see...

Archimedes (has to be number one)