Mortgage rates

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are looking at refinancing. Our current rate is pretty good, 3.5% but it could probably go lower. Main worry is the hassle of getting the house ready for an appraisal. That seem like a lot of work, especially with kids in the house...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are looking at refinancing. Our current rate is pretty good, 3.5% but it could probably go lower. Main worry is the hassle of getting the house ready for an appraisal. That seem like a lot of work, especially with kids in the house...

A little work to save you tens of thousands of dollars? Lol, c’mon man!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m currently just over one year into a 15yr at 3.00%. I could have had 2.85%, but opted for 3.00% because it gave me the ability to escrow myself.

I’ve ran my numbers and it is just isnt worth the refi cost.

I just hit a huge milestone in my life last week were my ONLY debt of any kind is my mortgage. So I could pay extra on the mortgage if I wanted. I havent decided yet.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I’m currently just over one year into a 15yr at 3.00%. I could have had 2.85%, but opted for 3.00% because it gave me the ability to escrow myself.

I’ve ran my numbers and it is just isnt worth the refi cost.

I just hit a huge milestone in my life last week were my ONLY debt of any kind is my mortgage. So I could pay extra on the mortgage if I wanted. I havent decided yet.
At one year into the current loan you can get a substitution rate on the title insurance and use your survey to greatly reduce closing cost. You would have to pay the doc stamps on the loan, whatever application fee(if any) appraisal, recording fee and could pay those out of pocket so your loan balance wouldn't go up....I'm not saying you should just an FYI...Run an amortization on the numbers. May or may not be worth it.

I'm strongly considering doing that on one of my investment property's. I've been on a 15 year at 3.75 for just over 3 years but have paid the balance down by almost a third(I chuck my tax return money at it). The only problem is with the P&I and escrow payment I lose about $58 a month so if rental rates drop or taxes keep going up it will put me at a bigger monthly loss on top of repairs, not to mention the last tenant was a loser and out after 7 month's.
If I refi it at even a marginally better rate it will give me about $450-$475 a month cash throw off that I can fold into the new payment and would pay the new loan off in a little less than 10 years.....In my case I also have a long term CD coming due next month that was earning 3.30 and wouldn't even renew at 1.00, by taking half of that, 30K, and putting it down or paying it steadily into the loan it would be paid off in about 5.5-6 years and give me a little more forgiveness it rent goes down and taxes and insurance increase.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
More money on the way. Another 1,200 bux coming and they are going to try and extend the barring of any evictions. so those of you slumlords, does that apply to you where you can't evict a deadbeat tenant? How are you supposed to pay your bills? Just another delay of allowing the free market to sort out the problems.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
More money on the way. Another 1,200 bux coming and they are going to try and extend the barring of any evictions. so those of you slumlords, does that apply to you where you can't evict a deadbeat tenant? How are you supposed to pay your bills? Just another delay of allowing the free market to sort out the problems.
During a normal average year, there’s between 1.5-2.3 Million evictions. This year there could be up to 28 million eviction that would qualify. You think extending the eviction moratorium is going to help or prolong the inevitable?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
During a normal average year, there’s between 1.5-2.3 Million evictions. This year there could be up to 28 million eviction that would qualify. You think extending the eviction moratorium is going to help or prolong the inevitable?

It is going to prolong the inevitable, just like the mortgage forbearance program. When people get accustomed to not having to pay rent or their mortgage (P+I) do you think they tend to save up for when those payments will be due? The answer is NO. That is found money to them and they spend it on the next trivial thing that comes to mind. When the real estate market crashed 13 years ago what happened? Companies like Blackstone and many other large companies bout hundreds of thousands single family homes in one fell swoop and got the inventory off the market. This is what should happen. If a slumlord or bank wants to evict a non payer, so be it. They can either sell that property or look for a new tenant/buyer. The free market will take care of the issue in less than half the time of a government program. See cash for clunkers!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It is going to prolong the inevitable, just like the mortgage forbearance program. When people get accustomed to not having to pay rent or their mortgage (P+I) do you think they tend to save up for when those payments will be due? The answer is NO. That is found money to them and they spend it on the next trivial thing that comes to mind. When the real estate market crashed 13 years ago what happened? Companies like Blackstone and many other large companies bout hundreds of thousands single family homes in one fell swoop and got the inventory off the market. This is what should happen. If a slumlord or bank wants to evict a non payer, so be it. They can either sell that property or look for a new tenant/buyer. The free market will take care of the issue in less than half the time of a government program. See cash for clunkers!
You forgot to mention that Liz Warren swooped in and bought foreclosures too. ;)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Seminole County where one of my investment property's is at just allocated millions for tenants to pay their rents....kinda interesting what will come of it. At the moment the house is vacant because I had the good fortune of the tenant moving out on her own I leaving it vacant until Sept....My other rental is paid ahead of the 1st every month and in fact I'll be mailing him a check for $100 since he took care of a leaky toilet and I didn't have to mess with it....

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A little work to save you tens of thousands of dollars? Lol, c’mon man!

I know you're right. We found a refinance place that will give us a 20 year mortgage, 2.75% interest, low closing fees rolled into the loan (so no cash due now) and no appraisal. So I think we're going to go for it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know you're right. We found a refinance place that will give us a 20 year mortgage, 2.75% interest, low closing fees rolled into the loan (so no cash due now) and no appraisal. So I think we're going to go for it.

Sweet!!! nice work!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@BMF, I am highlighting a few things in this article that I have been talking about for a while now.

Mortgage rates hit another record low, but homes are still less affordable

• About 59.6% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter of this year were considered affordable to families earning an adjust median income of $72,900, according to the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index.
  • This is down from 61.3% in the first quarter of this year and is the lowest reading in 18 months

Mortgage rates fell to another record low this week, the eighth record set this year. But home affordability is weakening as the housing shortage, high demand from buyers and rising home prices negate the benefits of lower rates.

Only 59.6% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter of this year were considered affordable to families earning an adjust median income of $72,900, according to the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index. That’s down from 61.3% in the first quarter of 2020 and is the lowest reading in 18 months. NAHB did make an adjustment to median income estimates to account for the coronavirus pandemic.

The index based its calculations on the national median home price jumping to a record $300,000 from $280,000 and average mortgage rates falling 27 basis points.

The inventory of existing homes for sale at the end of June was down 18.2% annually, according to the National Association of Realtors, leaving just a 4-month supply available. Supplies of newly built homes also fell 14.5% annually, according to the U.S. Census.

“The number of homes for sale has reached some of the lowest levels since online platforms began tracking inventory, leading to a frenzied environment of multiple bids, price escalation clauses and inspection waivers,” said George Ratiu, a senior economist with realtor.com.

While lower mortgage rates certainly give buyers more spending power, they also support higher home prices, and price gains re-accelerated in June after slowing in May, according to CoreLogic.
“Even with attractive rates and rising demand, banks have continued to tighten lending standards in July, further restricting available credit. At this pace, tighter lending standards and low inventory will squeeze housing activity and we will see a substantial slow down in sales in the second half of this year,” added Ratiu.

Looking locally, the Scranton-Wilkes Barre-Hazleton, PA market was rated the nation’s most affordable major housing market, defined as a metro with a population of at least 500,000, in the NAHB index. More than 89% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter were affordable to families earning that area’s median income of $66,600.

San Francisco-Redwood City-South San Francisco, California, was the nation’s least affordable major housing market. Just 8.5% of the homes sold there were affordable to families earning the area’s median income of $129,200.

If we get even a 25 basis point increase in mortgage rates, that along with very tight lending standards, will take a lot of people out of the market, IMO.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@BMF, I am highlighting a few things in this article that I have been talking about for a while now.

Mortgage rates hit another record low, but homes are still less affordable

• About 59.6% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter of this year were considered affordable to families earning an adjust median income of $72,900, according to the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index.
  • This is down from 61.3% in the first quarter of this year and is the lowest reading in 18 months
Mortgage rates fell to another record low this week, the eighth record set this year. But home affordability is weakening as the housing shortage, high demand from buyers and rising home prices negate the benefits of lower rates.

Only 59.6% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter of this year were considered affordable to families earning an adjust median income of $72,900, according to the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Opportunity Index. That’s down from 61.3% in the first quarter of 2020 and is the lowest reading in 18 months. NAHB did make an adjustment to median income estimates to account for the coronavirus pandemic.

The index based its calculations on the national median home price jumping to a record $300,000 from $280,000 and average mortgage rates falling 27 basis points.

The inventory of existing homes for sale at the end of June was down 18.2% annually, according to the National Association of Realtors, leaving just a 4-month supply available. Supplies of newly built homes also fell 14.5% annually, according to the U.S. Census.

“The number of homes for sale has reached some of the lowest levels since online platforms began tracking inventory, leading to a frenzied environment of multiple bids, price escalation clauses and inspection waivers,” said George Ratiu, a senior economist with realtor.com.

While lower mortgage rates certainly give buyers more spending power, they also support higher home prices, and price gains re-accelerated in June after slowing in May, according to CoreLogic.
“Even with attractive rates and rising demand, banks have continued to tighten lending standards in July, further restricting available credit. At this pace, tighter lending standards and low inventory will squeeze housing activity and we will see a substantial slow down in sales in the second half of this year,” added Ratiu.

Looking locally, the Scranton-Wilkes Barre-Hazleton, PA market was rated the nation’s most affordable major housing market, defined as a metro with a population of at least 500,000, in the NAHB index. More than 89% of new and existing homes sold in the second quarter were affordable to families earning that area’s median income of $66,600.

San Francisco-Redwood City-South San Francisco, California, was the nation’s least affordable major housing market. Just 8.5% of the homes sold there were affordable to families earning the area’s median income of $129,200.

If we get even a 25 basis point increase in mortgage rates, that along with very tight lending standards, will take a lot of people out of the market, IMO.

Good stuff. I've been harping on this for at least three years (that rates are too low). IMO, anything close to 5% is where rates 'should' be (and I could argue even higher). I've said this a few times, but my first mortgage in 1997 was 7.125% and when I refinanced it to 6.75% I said, "Man, I can't believe I got a mortgage for less than 7%!!"

Honestly, we may end up renting something when we move or buy a lower cost condo (that we could turn into a rental property) until we see prices fall.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Just got a Buyer approved for a 2.875% 30 year Jumbo. WTF?

That is quite a rate considering the Jumbo market has been practically frozen and not that long ago was pushing about 80 basis points above conventional. That has since narrowed and I have to guess that your customer has tremendous numbers and credit. Well done.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is quite a rate considering the Jumbo market has been practically frozen and not that long ago was pushing about 80 basis points above conventional. That has since narrowed and I have to guess that your customer has tremendous numbers and credit. Well done.
I know, that why I’m like WTF? Not my Buyer. It my listing and I’ve spoken with the Lender already.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Improvement in coronavirus mortgage bailout stalls, as more borrowers struggle to make payments

• As of August 25, 3.9 million homeowners were in mortgage forbearance programs, according to Black Knight, a mortgage technology and analytics firm.
  • This represents 7.4% of all active mortgages and is unchanged from the week before.
  • A reduction of 23,000 borrowers in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac forbearances was almost entirely offset by a 10,000-borrower increase in FHA forbearances and a 12,000-increase among bank-held and private-label loans.

After improving markedly in July, the number of borrowers struggling to make their monthly mortgage payments has essentially flatlined and now threatens to move higher.

As of August 25, 3.9 million homeowners were in mortgage forbearance programs, according to Black Knight, a mortgage technology and analytics firm. This represents 7.4% of all active mortgages and is unchanged from the week before. The numbers have not improved in the past two weeks.

More concerning is that close to three quarters of those in forbearance have had their terms extended from the initial three-month period. This suggests that their financial situations are not improving, and they are still unable to make their monthly payments. Another survey from the Mortgage Bankers Association also showed the rate of improvement slowing markedly.

“The extremely high rate of initial claims for unemployment insurance and high level of unemployment remain a concern, and are indications of the challenges many households are facing,” said Mike Fratantoni, MBA’s chief economist. “While new forbearance requests remain low, particularly for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans, the pace of exits from forbearance has declined for two straight weeks.”

Borrowers in the government bailout are not required to remit payments immediately after exiting forbearance; instead, those payments can be made when the loan is either refinanced or the home is sold.

The mortgage bailout, under the CARES Act, allows borrowers to delay monthly payments for up to a year on government-backed loans. Banks and private-label securities have largely offered about six months of forbearance, but it is unclear how much longer they will extend that.

Breaking it down by loan type, a reduction of 23,000 borrowers in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac forbearances was almost entirely offset by a 10,000-borrower increase in FHA forbearances and a 12,000-increase among bank-held and private-label loans.

Over the past 30 days, active forbearances have declined by 171,000 with the strongest improvement in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans. More modest improvements have been seen among both FHA/VA forbearances and bank and portfolio loans.

The big concern is that expanded unemployment benefits have now expired, and some borrowers were using those to make their monthly payments. Without additional assistance, experts say the mortgage bailout numbers could begin to move higher again

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Over the past 30 days, active forbearances have declined by 171,000 with the strongest improvement in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans. More modest improvements have been seen among both FHA/VA forbearances and bank and portfolio loans.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Any updates on the numbers of loans in forbearance?

I'm not sure when it's going to happen - but right now the market is hotter than it was prior to the 2006/07 crash. And that crash didn't happen overnight - seems like it slowed down, maybe it took a year to really hit? I expect something similar - probably after January 2021 or so? Sellers will probably list high for the usual 'buying season' (Feb to May)....but will they get the asking price? That's probably going to be the tell-tell sign the market is about to fall off.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Any updates on the numbers of loans in forbearance?

I'm not sure when it's going to happen - but right now the market is hotter than it was prior to the 2006/07 crash. And that crash didn't happen overnight - seems like it slowed down, maybe it took a year to really hit? I expect something similar - probably after January 2021 or so? Sellers will probably list high for the usual 'buying season' (Feb to May)....but will they get the asking price? That's probably going to be the tell-tell sign the market is about to fall off.

The numbers are slowly coming down, but the heat is on here in south Florida. Just like that POS you showed me for 600K in the Tampa area, the same shyt is going on here in south Florida. but just like you don;t want to be the guy who follows the legend, we want to be the guy who buys from those buying now. I get it people want out of the high density areas and want a pool, a yard, etc., but all that shyt cost money. And many of these people are not aware of the incredible costs that are associated with a house and now a car, etc. so we are going to have to be patient and I don;t expect there to be an easing until 2022, but not like 06-07. Remember that was b/c of banks, insurance companies and credit. This was not, but it will be a problem when people decide houses are not for them or they lose a job or they need more space, etc. etc. etc.

BTW, Lennar had earnings today. They are big is south Florida and are headquartered here and I have met the CEO. Not a big deal, but their avg. selling price this Quarter was 396K. their forecast for Q4 is is 390K. Not a big dip, but a dip nonetheless and this is for new homes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.