Moving to Jax

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
We'll probably move back in about 4 or 5 years and buy a house between Roanoke and Blacksburg. But I'm afraid we may never return if we move to Florida.
Can't blame you. That area is beautiful. My son, who is a frosh at UF, considered Va Tech very strongly; he loved Blacksburg.

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
How old are you? Family? St. John’s County. Look at Ponte Vedra. Nocatee as others have said. It’s the place to be.

29, no kids yet, but maybe in a couple years. Looked at some places and I was shocked. We pay $1740 for like 700sq ft for a 1 bedroom in Providence. Saw 2 bedrooms in these luxurious apartments for $1400. I can't wait to get out.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah about that.....do you just retreat to GA somewhere? I've always been inland in VA so Hurricanes were much weaker when it arrived.

Just depends. The last several really wrecked havoc on people. It would take 12 hours to get from south florida to north florida.. only to find no gas and food. My bet is hardly anyone evacuates during the next one.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah about that.....do you just retreat to GA somewhere? I've always been inland in VA so Hurricanes were much weaker when it arrived.

I'm a 5th Generation Floridian and we don't live on the water... Wind and water are a killer combination! But, if you get out early, you'll just have property damage to deal with.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stay away from Baymeadows. That area was really nice in the 80's and 90's...not so much anymore. If you live in Jax, you have to live at the beach - that's anywhere from Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Jax Beach, or Ponte Vedra. There's some nice neighborhood's off San Pablo Rd (where Mayo Clinic is), my ex-wife and I live in Pablo Bay (she was an ER doctor). There's also a few nice neighborhoods off of Kernan - I think Tebow just moved into one of the nicer one's off Kernan, near JTB.

BMF is correct

We lived in Baymeadows in the 80’s and loved it.
Things change and I would never live in that area now.

Listen to the people telling you to go for the beaches or to the unique neighborhoods like Riverside, Five Points or San Jose

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
There's a ton of good suggestions in here already and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but a picture of the wife would provide more clarity on this and allow us to better help you.

Jun 2, 2015
I grew up in Murray Hill (west side) but as an adult after college lived for 2 yrs. in Neptune Beach and loved it, other than my hair drooping down and mold turning my shoes green and having to use a gallon of windex. We had a new convertible and had to wash it every day. A bad hurricane hit and we were evacuated, but stayed with my parents on the west side, so no problem. That is the downside of living on the beach. I loved the smell of the ocean and would take a dip in the ocean every day after work and loved walking picking up shells so to me it was still worth living on the beach. Ponte Vedra is very nice, but a bit pricey. I have a good friend who is a pro. golfer that lives there but of course he makes over 1M/yr.so no problem. Good advise for either the beach area or off JTB (Turner Blvd.) near Mayo. Traffic is heavy, but not near as bad or crazy as Orlando or Miami. Good luch with your move and hope you enjoy the Jax. area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator