Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bet he is grabbing a handful.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This team is two legitimate, real life miracles away from being 2 - 9 last year. With little reason to believe the talent is being significantly upgraded this year or next, especially at QB, OL and a good part of the defense. Who knows if any of our RB’s are Alabama/Georgia/LSU elite. This team is full of lazy knuckleheads recruited and coached by the shark humper . And we might win big in two years with the right coach?

That team was also 5 points and a storm from starting 6-1. Had it started 6-1 and it likely would have finished much better too.

So there is no excuse for winning less than 10 games this year and if UF falls well short of that UF hired the wrong guy. UF has seen such turnarounds in the past when UF has hired a great coaches, ie Spurrier or even a competent coach, ie Pell etc.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
That team was also 5 points and a storm from starting 6-1. Had it started 6-1 and it likely would have finished much better too.

So there is no excuse for winning less than 10 games this year and if UF falls well short of that UF hired the wrong guy. UF has seen such turnarounds in the past when UF has hired a great coaches, ie Spurrier or even a competent coach, ie Pell etc.

You are setting up literally any coach in the country to fail with that level of expectation. This team goes nowhere near that playing in the SEC with Franks, Trask or a True Freshman. Much less the rest of Shark Humper's leftovers. Some interesting parallels:

The 2007 Alabama Crimson Tide football team represented the University of Alabama for the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The Tide was led by its new head coach Nick Saban, a former head coach of rival LSU. Despite a strong 6–2 start, they finished out the season by losing four of their final five games. The team closed the regular season at 6–6 (4–4, SEC) and lost for a sixth-straight time to rival Auburn. The Tide defeated Colorado in the 2007 Independence Bowl 30–24 to finish the season at a 7–6.

Alabama had 18 returning starters from the previous season, including nine on offense, five on defense, and four on special teams.[3] The most notable departures from the previous year were Kenneth Darby and Le'Ron McClain on offense and Dominic Lee, Jeremy Clark, Juwan Simpson, Terrence Jones, Jeffrey Dukes and Ramzee Robinson on defense.[3]

The Crimson Tide offense returned all three quarterbacks at the top of the depth chart, including starter John Parker Wilson. The entire starting offensive line returned, anchored by freshman All-American Andre Smith, along with reinforcements by the top four tight ends from the 2006 depth chart.[3] Alabama's receiving unit was led by its wide receivers D. J. Hall, who broke nearly every Alabama-receiving record in school history in 2006.[3] The Alabama defense returned five starters in 2007, based on the 3–3–5 scheme that was run in 2006. The Tide in 2007 had a new starting nose tackle, outside linebacker, strongside linebacker, cornerback, and a starting safety.[3]

2007 Alabama Crimson Tide football team - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

You are correct. I was too harsh on your honest efforts at play analysis. My apologies.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You are setting up literally any coach in the country to fail with that level of expectation. This team goes nowhere near that playing in the SEC with Franks, Trask or a True Freshman. Much less the rest of Shark Humper's leftovers. Some interesting parallels:

The 2007 Alabama Crimson Tide football team represented the University of Alabama for the 2007 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The Tide was led by its new head coach Nick Saban, a former head coach of rival LSU. Despite a strong 6–2 start, they finished out the season by losing four of their final five games. The team closed the regular season at 6–6 (4–4, SEC) and lost for a sixth-straight time to rival Auburn. The Tide defeated Colorado in the 2007 Independence Bowl 30–24 to finish the season at a 7–6.

Alabama had 18 returning starters from the previous season, including nine on offense, five on defense, and four on special teams.[3] The most notable departures from the previous year were Kenneth Darby and Le'Ron McClain on offense and Dominic Lee, Jeremy Clark, Juwan Simpson, Terrence Jones, Jeffrey Dukes and Ramzee Robinson on defense.[3]

The Crimson Tide offense returned all three quarterbacks at the top of the depth chart, including starter John Parker Wilson. The entire starting offensive line returned, anchored by freshman All-American Andre Smith, along with reinforcements by the top four tight ends from the 2006 depth chart.[3] Alabama's receiving unit was led by its wide receivers D. J. Hall, who broke nearly every Alabama-receiving record in school history in 2006.[3] The Alabama defense returned five starters in 2007, based on the 3–3–5 scheme that was run in 2006. The Tide in 2007 had a new starting nose tackle, outside linebacker, strongside linebacker, cornerback, and a starting safety.[3]

2007 Alabama Crimson Tide football team - Wikipedia

Listen Jeremy, I know you are a UAL suckup. Your hiring over the years have made that clear.

I am hoping UF hired a better coach than Saban. I don't want an ordinary coach like that at UF.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Listen Jeremy, I know you are a UAL suckup. Your hiring over the years have made that clear.

I am hoping UF hired a better coach than Saban. I don't want an ordinary coach like that at UF.

dl-ual-02.jpg

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Mullen's system works good when you have the QB and top players to run it. It seems to get crushed most times when his team is outgunned in talent thus his 3-34 record against final AP Top 25 teams.

We may have some good RBs but with Franks at QB and the O line being probably average at best this year for an SEC line I don't see this offense doing a whole lot against the good defenses.

What system doesn't get crushed when it's outgunned in talent?

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Really? What were our offensive numbers in 2004 vs 2005?

Did you watch football back then?

He "improved us" from 426 yards a game in 2004 to 373 yards a game in 2005? Solid work.
2004 Florida Gators Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2005 Florida Gators Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Or most of 2006 when the headlines were "whats wrong w Gators offense?"

Our defense and STs got MUCH better from 2004 to 2005, though.
Then came Steve. Addazio, that is.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t confuse my pragmatism with the situation Strickland was in last year with some sort of confidence that Mullen is the answer. I’m simply hoping like a Gator.
I think all of us are, but hope doesn't require me to blow smoke up everyone's azz. The X's and Os and overall record from his previous stops aren't really ringing endorsements. The argument that he didn't win that much can't be justified by saying that you can't recruit at Ms state because it stands to reason that if Ms St was the issue, then he should be doing very well now based on Florida recruiting history. That argument also can't be used to say that regardless of level of talent, he gets the most from his players bc they basically beat most (and I say most bc he laid some serious eggs against supremely inferior talent) of the teams they we're supposed to and pretty much lost to everyone who was favored. That doesnt sound like maximizing talent, it sounds like holding serve.

At any rate we're all Gators and hoping for the best, but I'm a results and numbers guy before anything, and I don't see much in the way of concrete evidence that says he's gonna get us over the hump against the big boys. Hope I'm wrong.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
So I stayed away from football in general after the hire because I've seen this play before with the pumpers trying to make this out to be the best hire in history while the pragmatists or "dumpers" picked it apart as the worst hire in history. In the interest of disclosure I thought the hire was horrific.Anyway, I unplugged and promised myself to try and be an optimist as we all learned more about what the Mullen era was going to be like around here. My first sample was the spring game, and frankly, it didn't help convince me he was the guy. Nothing that has transpired over the summer has done much to help convince me either.

The reality is that the time for speculation is almost over, and we'll soon see whether he can make the grade here or not. Personally, I am hoping for the best; that Mullen really is going to shine with the talent level that UF supposedly can attract that he never could get at MSU (I find that argument dubious but I will buy into it for now), and that it's going to all come together and we're going to be climbing back to the top of the pile. The realist in me looks at his record and knows deep down that he is not the guy. I really am hoping to be wowed and proven wrong, I want the Gators to be great again and for football to be fun again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bama has had their offenses in the low 30s for a better portion of the last decade.

The unique thing about Bama, the thing that stresses opponents to crack is that in Bama they face a nationally top player at every position. Eleven of the best on O & D all over the field.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Back to Mullen’s scheme...

I like winning. I liked the inventiveness of his offenses at UF, the way they’d pull tackles, the TE shovel pass, the jump pass, etc. When it worked, I liked it fine. Of course, generational talent like Tebow and Harvin made it great. We don’t have that at the moment. Not even established SEC talent.

So, if he’s able to find and/or develop QBs I think it will be good and occasionally really good.

I like what I’m seeing elsewhere. He seems to have a comprehensive grasp of running a program well. The one snag, and it’s worrisome, is this 2019 recruiting class - so far.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So I stayed away from football in general after the hire because I've seen this play before with the pumpers trying to make this out to be the best hire in history while the pragmatists or "dumpers" picked it apart as the worst hire in history. In the interest of disclosure I thought the hire was horrific.Anyway, I unplugged and promised myself to try and be an optimist as we all learned more about what the Mullen era was going to be like around here. My first sample was the spring game, and frankly, it didn't help convince me he was the guy. Nothing that has transpired over the summer has done much to help convince me either.

The reality is that the time for speculation is almost over, and we'll soon see whether he can make the grade here or not. Personally, I am hoping for the best; that Mullen really is going to shine with the talent level that UF supposedly can attract that he never could get at MSU (I find that argument dubious but I will buy into it for now), and that it's going to all come together and we're going to be climbing back to the top of the pile. The realist in me looks at his record and knows deep down that he is not the guy. I really am hoping to be wowed and proven wrong, I want the Gators to be great again and for football to be fun again.

There is no "the guy" outside of just a few, none of them were coming to UF.

I hope and expect that there is no "scheme", but a preferred method of playing football which will be adjusted according to the skills and talents on the team.

Surely this staff is developing players in ways the previous one never even thought of. That will improve play which will result in more victories and for me a happier fan.

I would hate to win all our games like we beat KY, luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.