Mullen backs Grantham: Players are the problem

Does Grantham Survive Bama and Remain Gator DC?

• Mullen is clueless...Grantham is here as long as Mullen

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • Mullen is so stubborn...He'd rather get fired than face the fact he picked a loser

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Grantham is fired after the Bama game

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Some other clueless team hires Grantham

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Faux Meat Ham Sandwich

Votes: 17 12.9%

• Total voters

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
No, I don't think a position coach can override a DC but, he can coach his position to understand their assignments in the defensive scheme. That is what is missing.
As @Swamp Donkey mentioned, tg takes too long to get the calls onto the field. The DL looked lost more often than the DBs. What's the common denominator?

Gray showed up with a solid reputation, but he's a position coach. tg showed up and the groaning began because most already knew he wasn't a good DC.

The secondary was a symptom among many, but what is the most likely disease?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, I don't think a position coach can override a DC but, he can coach his position to understand their assignments in the defensive scheme. That is what is missing.
THEY WERENT GETTING THE PLAY CALLS. Simple. Offense would line up, Grantham changed the play, ofdense motioned, Granthan changed play again while offense was snapping.

Constantly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard for me to think that TG is telling Marco to give a 10 yard cushion,
He is EXACTLY telling them to play 10-12 man off and there isn't a damn thing you can do about stopping a slant from that play call.

Some of you guys are fccking nuts. You really think Grantham is calling a man press and watching his DBs line up 12 yards deep and let them do it every play?

This appears to be his answer to third and Grantham. Now it's Slant and Grantham.

I can't even believe it. It baffles me that you people think that they're out there ad libbing instead of running whatever Grantham called.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
He is EXACTLY telling them to play 10-12 man off and there isn't a damn thing you can do about stopping a slant from that play call.

Some of you guys are fccking nuts. You really think Grantham is calling a man press and watching his DBs line up 12 yards deep and let them do it every play?

This appears to be his answer to third and Grantham. Now it's Slant and Grantham.

I can't even believe it. It baffles me that you people think that they're out there ad libbing instead of running whatever Grantham called.
In the LSU game, we actually were doing some man press, but even on those, marco would start backing up 2-3 steps pre-snap

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the LSU game, we actually were doing some man press, but even on those, marco would start backing up 2-3 steps pre-snap
I dont think I saw a single Gator corner jam a receiver at the line all year, unless it was a rub play and it was actually the receiver making contact.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I dont think I saw a single Gator corner jam a receiver at the line all year, unless it was a rub play and it was actually the receiver making contact.
Oh, and to be clear, I never witnessed any contact at the LOS, merely that we actually lined up over the receivers, at the LOS, but even then, Marco would start taking steps back in anticipation of the snap!

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: SOURCE: #Michigan has dismissed defensive coordinator Don Brown.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016

It just doesn't make sense, we all know Marco has been straight up dog sh*t this year....I wouldn't put it past him to not know his playbook from time to time as well. Either way, I don't give a fuq which one of the idiots screwed up....Marco, or TG. It freaking embarrassing, and I can't believe this is still a damn topic 3 years into Mullen's tenure.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Head coaches have already been fired for way less... yet this lardass continues. Y'all have lost your damn minds believing there's gonna be change. Fat todd isn't going anywhere.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the fact that they're now letting Grantham go out there and defend himself means he isn't going anywhere.

the good news is it's a self-correcting problem.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
It's hard for me to think that TG is telling Marco to give a 10 yard cushion, and submissively give Deondre Smith the inside slant for the "nail in the coffin" TD in the 4th qtr to Bammer.

He's been doing that all year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasnt Leavitt untouchable for some reason after you got fired from South Florida? I remember at one point in his name was being bad around and apparently the administration said no

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, I don't doubt that it is what he is coached to do, but us giving cushion should come as no surprise to anyone on this board.
honestly I just don't get it. if you're trying to make a defense based on lining up one wide guy and letting him rush free every time, and other blitzes, like almost every play, why arent you jamming on the line and stopping slants and other hot routes?

What am I missing? Someone help me make sense of this tactic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.