Mullen backs Grantham: Players are the problem

Does Grantham Survive Bama and Remain Gator DC?

• Mullen is clueless...Grantham is here as long as Mullen

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • Mullen is so stubborn...He'd rather get fired than face the fact he picked a loser

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Grantham is fired after the Bama game

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • Some other clueless team hires Grantham

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Faux Meat Ham Sandwich

Votes: 17 12.9%

• Total voters

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I used to be a big Gator basketball fan, but now I’m completely apathetic. Until Mike White is gone, I couldn’t care less about Gator hoops. Sadly, football is heading that same way.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
While that may be true, this isn't peewee league. You don't pay someone 6 mil a year to let the player's feelings dictate staffing decisions.

Totally with you on Grantham - completely. Not firing him and English at this point is purely bad management. Players don't get a vote in staff decisions. When it comes to other players and how the types of situations like the one Wilson was involved in (strictly on the field stupidity) I think the players and their judgment about things needs to be listened to or you risk alienating them. It's not like we need that extra drag on our middle tier recruiting.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Totally with you on Grantham - completely. Not firing him and English at this point is purely bad management. Players don't get a vote in staff decisions. When it comes to other players and how the types of situations like the one Wilson was involved in (strictly on the field stupidity) I think the players and their judgment about things needs to be listened to or you risk alienating them. It's not like we need that extra drag on our middle tier recruiting.
Yeah, I remember hearing Saban say the same thing about that. About how he has meetings with his players about their feelings and how things should be done, particularly on field stupidity that cost you a ball game and maybe a shot at the playoffs. I couldn't actually find the tape on that but if someone else would like to post a vid of him saying that in a press conference feel free.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good god man, you really do have a problem with basic comprehension. I didn't say any pumps are defending him NOW. I said in a few months when the dust settles and its clear he ain't going anywhere, their narrative will shift from he's already fired/he should be fired to the standard, "well tell me who better was available?" "Mullen knows alot more about football than any of y'all", "turns out it was simply poor players", "the virus was the real cause of the defensive decline", etc.

You know how I know this? History. It's the same story at the end of each season and beginning of each off-season every single year under zook, muschamp, mac and now dorky dan. And as demonstrated by your post above, you've already deployed the "trust the coaches, fans don't know jack" excuse so you're actually ahead of schedule. Y'all could at least try and update the playbook periodically though.

There you go...... :exactly:

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I remember hearing Saban say the same thing about that. About how he has meetings with his players about their feelings and how things should be done, particularly on field stupidity that cost you a ball game and maybe a shot at the playoffs. I couldn't actually find the tape on that but if someone else would like to post a vid of him saying that in a press conference feel free.

Yeah, when has Saban ever bent to player sentiment...
Nick Saban, Alabama players hold protest march on campus

o_O

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's most funny about this comment is, that it's year 3, it's his fuching players. So does that make it his fault?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ok, humor me here. Here's a list of actual winners - spurrier, urbs, saban, dabo.

Ask yourself the following question, would any of those 4 coaches, if presented with the wilson problem on their watch under the same circumstances, do nothing during the game, make excuses for him after, then trot him out as team captain the following week against the top team in the country?

The player's can say what they want, if you start letting them dictate the way it is, you have failed as an HC.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ok, humor me here. Here's a list of actual winners - spurrier, urbs, saban, dabo.

Ask yourself the following question, would any of those 4 coaches, if presented with the wilson problem on their watch under the same circumstances, do nothing during the game, make excuses for him after, then trot him out as team captain the following week against the top team in the country?

The player's can say what they want, if you start letting them dictate the way it is, you have failed as an HC.
The fact remains that Wilson should have already been benched for performance reasons alone. If you don't have the balls to do that (and Mullen does not), the shoe incident would have given you proper cover to do so. However, Mullen actually REWARDED Wilson for it, and allowed him to have one of the worst games ever by a UF DB.

Never seen anything quite like it.

5-Star Finger

Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Yes.

Urbs had a guy at captain who was arrested for felony B&E the week before LSU in 2007.

Urbs "stripped him of captain" (it took literally a felony charge), but he damn sure played. He also probably murdered his wife, but that was much later and I digress. I'm betting you remember at least part of the story, but in case you don't.

Football vs LSU on 10/6/2007 - Box Score - Florida Gators

2007 Florida Gators football team - Wikipedia

There's plenty of incidences of Saban doing similar things, especially with legal trouble. I don't pay enough attention to Clemson, but I'd imagine it is the same with him.

From a coaching perspective it's a pretty terrible situation to have a player who is a downgrade at a position going into Bama. The horrifying thought is that there is no one better than the **** show that was Wilson this year. (Chew on that for a minute and lose all hope.)

In a situation like this one the coach piling on when the guy that you really have no choice but to play (apparently) has been publicly roasted by both the fan base and parts of the media probably wouldn't have any positive effect on the team. I remember someone painting "Thanks, Dallas Baker" on the 34th street wall after the UT game. The team painted over "we are all a team" or something similar.

Coaches, even the winners, do care about how their decisions play in the locker room. I'm not saying I like it, but I do understand the thinking. I believe I'm on the record as wanting to put Wilson on Grantham's lap and launch them both from a trebuchet.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

Urbs had a guy at captain who was arrested for felony B&E the week before LSU in 2007.

Urbs "stripped him of captain" (it took literally a felony charge), but he damn sure played. He also probably murdered his wife, but that was much later and I digress. I'm betting you remember at least part of the story, but in case you don't.

There's plenty of incidences of Saban doing similar things, especially with legal trouble. I don't pay enough attention to Clemson, but I'd imagine it is the same with him.

From a coaching perspective it's a pretty terrible situation to have a player who is a downgrade at a position going into Bama. The horrifying thought is that there is no one better than the **** show that was Wilson this year. (Chew on that for a minute and lose all hope.)

In a situation like this one the coach piling on when the guy that you really have no choice but to play (apparently) has been publicly roasted by both the fan base and parts of the media probably wouldn't have any positive effect on the team. I remember someone painting "Thanks, Dallas Baker" on the 34th street wall after the UT game. The team painted over "we are all a team" or something similar.

Coaches, even the winners, do care about how their decisions play in the locker room. I'm not saying I like it, but I do understand the thinking. I believe I'm on the record as wanting to put Wilson on Grantham's lap and launch them both from a trebuchet.
Apples and oranges. All of those players could actually play. Wilson may be the worse defensive player we've got.

If Wilson was an All-American at least I could understand why he was out there in the SECCG. Instead, we could have had the same performance from my grandmother, and she's deceased.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The players aren't the problem. The fans are.

All of you slack-jawed yokels needs to step-up, get the work in and get the program going in the right direction. I can't be expected to do it all on my own.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

You didnt answer the question, you created a different scenario, then tried to pawn it off as the same. Ox implied this in his response but I'll state it clearly. I didnt ask about a player involved in an off field incident. I also didnt ask about a couple of guys whom coaches move heaven and earth to keep on the field because they are big time play makers. I asked you about a guy who has sucked like a black hole all season, and who conducted himself on the field in a manner that caused us to lose a game we likely would have won otherwise, not merely by not being able to make a play, but by selfish and immature behavior in between the whistles that negated a game defining play and gave the opposition a final chance to win.

Again, ill ask the question. Name me of the 4 previous coaches mentioned, which one would make excuses for said players in-game behavior, fail to discipline him, and trot him out as the team captain the following week in a championship game? Would spurrier make excuses in the post game presser? Would saban or Urbs? Would Dabo fail to hold him accountable? Would Spurrier name him team captain the following week?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Again, ill ask the question. Name me of the 4 previous coaches mentioned, which one would make excuses for said players in-game behavior, fail to discipline him, and trot him out as the team captain the following week in a championship game. Would spurrier make excuses in the post game presser? Would saban or Urbs? Would Dabo make fail to hold him accountable? Would Spurrier name him team captain the following week?
Hell, all of those guys would have benched Wilson mid-season for performance reasons alone, and not even given him a chance to be an idiot with a shoe.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, all of those guys would have benched Wilson mid-season for performance reasons alone, and not even given him a chance to be an idiot with a shoe.
Agreed. After Marco made that white boy with like 3 catches in his career look like nuke Hopkins, he should have never seen the field again.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Its going to be hard for me to watch next season of fathead todd is still there. That is a fact. I will root for them and never root against them, but it is going to be hard.

With that said, I see a small glimmer of hope in this quote from Dan. And if he ends of canning Grantham after the bowl my opinion of Dan will change 10 fold because it will show that he truly is a caniving muthafugga who will do and say things that are necessary to get the program to the next level.

"It’s very easy to point and say, 'Defense bad, we have to change everything,'" Mullen said. "Or you look at what the issues are. It’s like, hey, if my wrist hurts I don’t just cut off my arm. Let’s go figure out what the problem is. If I have to cut my arm I cut my arm, but that’s not where I’m starting. We’ve got to evaluate every aspect of it after the season, see where we’re at and go from there."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb