Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
FIFY.

You dont hire people who werent even good coordinators as a HC.
Donkey
UF deserves a premier coach. Of course if you can lure them you take them. The premier coaches rejected UF after Spurrier resigned. Plus SOS's recruiting in the trenches had been falling off. Zook had to bring in last second juco OLs. They listened as SOS said loud and clear that UF fans expectations were getting very hard to meet.

Zook is disposable and recruited well and lowered fans expectations while we looked for a premier coach like Meyer to become available. The net result of hiring a disposable coach who recruited well and had talent to lure in a premier coach was 2 national championships and a Heisman.

Last edited:

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I decided to read this thread because it was getting a lot of posts and I thought, "maybe it got better." I was very wrong.

uhhhh.gif

There's 3 days of your life you won't get back....

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I must have grabed the incorrect data which is on me.. I apologize...

But even the data you supplied shows the Zook is a great recruit theory is false.

Pre Zook Recruiting averaged 40
Zook recruiting averaged 38.714

Not a great leap due to Zook.
Actually you should include the transition class in the pre Zook data as the recruits leave as they have no relationship with the new coach.

Doing the 3 years pre Zook averaged: 43.66
The first 3 full years of Zook (UF got rid of Zook in year 3) averaged: 24.33

That is a 55% improvement.

Illinois had not been in the Rose bowl since 1984 (24 years) so it made it hard to get rid of Zook after they went to the 2008 Rose bowl.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually you should include the transition class in the pre Zook data as the recruits leave as they have no relationship with the new coach.

Doing the 3 years pre Zook averaged: 43.66

how does the recruiting classes of 50 (02),20 (03),40 (04) average 43.66 ranking? Adding the transition class is false data, being they knew once they signed a LOI they were getting Zook.

he first 3 full years of Zook (UF got rid of Zook in year 3) averaged: 24.33

That is a 55% improvement.

Illinois had not been in the Rose bowl since 1984 (24 years) so it made it hard to get rid of Zook after they went to the 2008 Rose bowl.

But then your abbreviating the data to fit a narrative that isn't accurate. Zook wasn't there for just years 06,07,and 08. That is falsify your data set to prove a point that doesn't include all the data. Which is the key, especialy if you are considering Zook a great recruiter. Do you not include his 2005 season as a head coaching record, 80% of the roster were recruits were not his (potentially).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord, people. We found someone who wants to argue minutae more than me.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

This quote from Macbeth about sums up this entire thread.. Fourteen pages of "did not....Did too....Did not...
Did too".. I would think any adult, once they feel they have made their point, would tip their cap and go on their way.. I know Ox this is great for your post count, but for most people this has to seem pretty ridiculous..
I know I don't have to read it, but it's there every day right at the top..Hard to ignore...
My friend, it's the offseason. I welcome any kind of threads that command this kind of participation.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
how does the recruiting classes of 50 (02),20 (03),40 (04) average 43.66 ranking? Adding the transition class is false data, being they knew once they signed a LOI they were getting Zook.

But then your abbreviating the data to fit a narrative that isn't accurate. Zook wasn't there for just years 06,07,and 08. That is falsify your data set to prove a point that doesn't include all the data. Which is the key, especialy if you are considering Zook a great recruiter. Do you not include his 2005 season as a head coaching record, 80% of the roster were recruits were not his (potentially).

Anyone who knows recruiting understands that recruiting takes years not a few weeks which is why the transition class is not a material indicator. Plus the LOI normally comes AFTER the new coach comes in and many commitments back out as they were committed to the prior coach who is gone.

So throwing out the transition year completely out is fair. If you throw out the transition year and do the 3 years prior to that it averages 40 rank for Illinois pre Zook. versus 24.3 during his first 3 full years. Still a very high % improvement in ranking (around 40%)

You are trying to evaluate Zook as a long term coach which is not what I ever have held. He is a short term transition coach not a long term coach. As I have always said Zook is a good recruiter to load on talent while you wait for a a coach who is both a good field coach and recruiter.

Zook getting into the Rose Bowl in 2008 screwed up them getting rid of him (Illinois had not been to the Rose Bowl for 24 years}. Muschamp getting to the BCS bowl bought him time.

Last edited:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Bla bla blah....I've glanced through enough of this drivel.
Jhbyrd, please provide the info on Zook's recruiting classes from 2002-2004 (@ UF) and then his recruiting classes throughout his duration at Illinois. We'll go from there.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Bla bla blah....I've glanced through enough of this drivel.
Jhbyrd, please provide the info on Zook's recruiting classes from 2002-2004 (@ UF) and then his recruiting classes throughout his duration at Illinois. We'll go from there.
I already provided links in prior posts in this thread. You find them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guys... we DO have one rule on this board: don't bore us.

You are about 12 pages past boring us.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Guys... we DO have one rule on this board: don't bore us.

You are about 12 pages past boring us.

Thanks!
Paul McCartney wrote this when people wanted him to write something less boring.

The Beatles - Helter Skelter - YouTube

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017

I feel like I deserve some kind of reward for inviting him to post here...lol. Man, I don’t know if I could of trolled the whole board harder by doing anything else.

Having said that I love your presence on this board @jhbyrd. It’s nice to have an alternative perspective to challenge the status quo over here. It makes it interesting.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know it is difficult for you to be objective with your hate of Foley.

Objective people understand that a last minute top head coach replacement is hard to find and part of it is luck in relation to where all the top coaches are in terms of their contracts at that time. We went for the Bronco's head coach but he was in a great situation as was Stoops.

What top coach was on UF's staff at the time of Spurrier's departure was ready? The result of the 2 national championships that waiting till we could get a premier coach like Meyer validates what was done.
This is exactly the opposite of objective

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.