Mullen beat Meyer in year 2 at MSU

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Look Mullen either wins 10 games this fall or is the wrong hire. It is true he might win 10 games this year and still be the wrong hire.
Saban couldn’t win 10 games with this roster. I don’t expect Mullen to either.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Mullen was at MSU 2009. That started wearing on Meyer. Daz was not in Mullen's league as an OC.
You really think that losing Mullen was Meyer's downfall? No, losing Billy Gonzalez because of the incident with Percy Harvin and making Steve Adazzio--the O line coach, and not hiring an O line coach was the downfall of Meyer at UF.
Of course it was most likely brought on by situations that we will never know, but the course of action remains the same.
Meyer was not the same coach from 2009-2010 that he was from 2005 -2008. And certainly not the coach he in now at OSU.
We can speculate endlessly, the point is that it's ridiculous to compare Meyer's team and loss to MSU at that stage in his career. It proves nothing.
Mullin couldn't sniff Meyer's jockstrap as a head coach; maybe he will someday, but I wouldn't bank on it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Saban couldn’t win 10 games with this roster. I don’t expect Mullen to either.

Yes Saban was a slow starter at UAL. He was so so at Mich St. A little better at LSU than Mich St. I am talking about whether or not Mullen is the right coach for UF, not whether he is Saban and requires a complete roster of future NFL picks and begging to get in the playoffs after he failed to win the SEC. That is a completely different issue.

If Mullen was the right hire he will win 10 games this fall.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes Saban was a slow starter at UAL. He was so so at Mich St. A little better at LSU than Mich St. I am talking about whether or not Mullen is the right coach for UF, not whether he is Saban and requires a complete roster of future NFL picks and begging to get in the playoffs after he failed to win the SEC. That is a completely different issue.

If Mullen was the right hire he will win 10 games this fall.
With who playing QB? With what line-up at OL? With what DB playing LB by midseason? Those problems are still here and aren’t changing until 2019.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You really think that losing Mullen was Meyer's downfall? No, losing Billy Gonzalez because of the incident with Percy Harvin and making Steve Adazzio--the O line coach, and not hiring an O line coach was the downfall of Meyer at UF.
It happened after Mullen left and I agree Gonzalez leaving did not help Meyer either. Fortunately they are both on the staff now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You really think that losing Mullen was Meyer's downfall? No, losing Billy Gonzalez because of the incident with Percy Harvin and making Steve Adazzio--the O line coach, and not hiring an O line coach was the downfall of Meyer at UF
Hevesy was the OL coach who left with Mullinz.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Mullin couldn't sniff Meyer's jockstrap as a head coach; maybe he will someday, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Well Mullen is 1-0 versus Meyer as a head coach on the field so far so no sniffing of jock straps is necessary. Mullen is younger which could be nice if he succeeds at UF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well Mullen is 1-0 versus Meyer as a head coach on the field so far so no sniffing of jock straps is necessary. Mullen is younger which could be nice if he succeeds at UF.
That is the hope, I guess, that we may eventually get an influx of talent (although we are currently running behind Cowbell again) and that maybe he has learned something from his eight years of failure and his 31-39 SEC record.

It might be a bit more promising if his trajectory at Cowbell wasnt downward.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I give no fcks what the Bammers think of anything.

Rarely do I log in just to give a like.

Whether or not this factoid deserved its own thread is debatable. And as Ancient pointed out, he may not have been anyone’s top choice. But trying to diminish what the guy did at Msu is ridiculous. He did better than anyone else in their relevant history, dealt with a buzzsaw schedule and is here now. So we may as well acknowledge the positives and move on. I mean, even as skeptical as I was about muschamp, I reserved it for the season, and certainly don’t recall caring one bit what some jackass in tuscaloosa thought about it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I recognize that sofla is a youngun and yes, Cowbell hired a dud just before Mullinz who was horrid, but the coach just before that won the west and was a threat to win it most years. Jackie Sherrill got ancient and stayed way too long, but Cowbell was a real contender even in the late 90s. In his first eight years (Sherrill inherited a terrible team, like most coaches, there is a reason usually why the last dude got fired) but he finished first or second in the SEC west 3 times in his first eight years.

Mullinz managed a winning SEC record only once and never finished first or second.

All Mullinz did well was load up on 1AA and geographic schools better than any other coach. Of course, after those 4 cupcake wins in September, it went down hill after that every year.

Well, at least he usually beat the cupcakes.

South_Alabama_Mississ_Jone_t610.jpg

South Alabama cornerbacks Darian Mills (24) and Quinton Dent (21) celebrate their 21-20 win over Mississippi State in an NCAA college football game in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Sept. 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Rogelio V. Solis)

Now we have to fear Geogya Southern and South Alabama.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I recognize that sofla is a youngun and yes, Cowbell hired a dud just before Mullinz who was horrid, but the coach just before that won the west and was a threat to win it most years. He got ancient and stayed way too long, but Cowbell was a real contender in the 90s.

All Mullinz did well was load up on 1AA and geographic schools better than any other coach. Of course, after those 4 cupcake wins in September, it went down hill after that every year.
He also got them on probation, no?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He also got them on probation, no?
Welllllllll..... he was a Bammer.

But so did Mullinz, and Mullinz problem was a former Gator GA, Angelo Miranda.... so don't blame it on Cowbells being Cowbells.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Congrats! Mullen beat the possibly the worst team Meyer's coached in a 6-3 puntfest. He also lost to freakin south alabama in year 8.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I recognize that sofla is a youngun and yes, Cowbell hired a dud just before Mullinz who was horrid, but the coach just before that won the west and was a threat to win it most years. Jackie Sherrill got ancient and stayed way too long, but Cowbell was a real contender even in the late 90s. In his first eight years (Sherrill inherited a terrible team, like most coaches, there is a reason usually why the last dude got fired) but he finished first or second in the SEC west 3 times in his first eight years.

Mullinz managed a winning SEC record only once and never finished first or second.

Well, at least he usually beat the cupcakes.
I think the SEC was significantly tougher during Mullen's turn at MSU than with Sherrill's.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Lol. Mullen is our coach now, I wish him the best.
As a Gator poster I am entitled to a 30 point blow out of every team we play. I don't care if donkey feels I am being "unreasonable". Mullen will feel my wrath if he does not give me what I am entitled to.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And I'm with sofla. It's ridiculous to be bagging on Mullen and the program at this point. Let's see how the team looks on the field first. I hated the Muschamp and Mac hires, but I agreed to withhold judgement until I actually saw the team play, and even then knew I'd give them until at least their second year before I started trashing them. Everyone knows how I felt about the Mullen hire, but what's done is done and I am 100% behind the staff at the moment.

The bashers may very well end up right, but what's the point of being so damn insufferable already? If past performance was a 100% indicator of the future, then there would be no reason to play the games. Mullen is in a better situation where he can compile better talent in an easier division. And, incredibly, often coaches improve over time - can you believe that? Fun fact, I know.

In short, let me say this: Take a great coach like Saban or Meyer and give them 5 years at MSU and 5 years at UF. I say they win more games over the 5 years at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator