Mullen getting creative in recruiting

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At the risk of being told I was beaten up last week by someone, are we to believe that you just happened to have a conversation about this subject, coinciding perfectly with your being knee deep in the very same debate here?

The question I’d ask is why would a random person close to the program, whom you apparently didn’t know until last night, just voluntarily give you this information. And if your relationship is different than just described, why did this acquaintance wait close to 14 years to provide or confirm these details?

Again, no one knows exact responsibility in the Meyer hiring. But history is a pretty good indicator, and it’s simply not very favorable for Foley.
Agreed. J-byrd needs to come clean and post the alleged source's name and address. A cell number would be appreciated as well.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
My cousins house keepers daughters boyfriend has an uncle who works across the street from UF and he saw a guy that said he was a booster and he said we were gonna win a NC this year. Man I am excited!

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Agreed. J-byrd needs to come clean and post the alleged source's name and address. A cell number would be appreciated as well.

So FL your claim that because Foley screwed up on the Muschamp and Mac hires (which I agree on) means conclusively that Machen was the only one involved on Meyer is illogical.

I could care less what closed minded speculators think. I asked the Bull to get a 3rd party confirmation. I am not going to give his name as you would not either.

I actually look for accuracy and I don't make claims based on what shock jocks like Bianchi puts in his columns designed to.provoke people. As crazy as 78's unbacked speculation is I just wanted someone who knows to confirm the obvious and he did confirm it was BOTH Foley and Machen.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am pretty sure Mrs Machen beat you up last week and said give her credit to. Bianchi working out to Richard Simmons videos must be really intimidating to you.

Machen and Foley did it jointly. Plenty of visual things were seen on Foley's involvement. Machen not so much. Hence plenty of evidence of joint involvement and none for exclusive Machen.

I was told last night by someone who knows that Foley put together the package of where Meyer would live, be paid, all the logistics. Machen said go get him. Found out Machen would have talked to SOS but Steve really believed the thing he said about 10 years being enough at one school.

Foley might have did the paperwork etc. but a President of UF that used to be at Utah with Meyer doesn't come out and talk like that when asked about Spurrier unless he has already directed what is going to take place short of Meyer turning us down. I think he didnt interfere with the Muschamp hire however.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Foley might have did the paperwork etc. but a President of UF that used to be at Utah with Meyer doesn't come out and talk like that when asked about Spurrier unless he has already directed what is going to take place short of Meyer turning us down. I think he didnt interfere with the Muschamp hire however.
Dooley's article in the Arizona paper is the only thing I have seen in print discussing the Meyer hire process with plenty of specifics of Foley's involvement and that goes well beyond paperwork.

Obvious reason the Utah paper would not go to someone like Bianchi (78's only source) for the article is Bianchi is just an opinion writer who tries to provoke readers.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dooley's article in the Arizona paper is the only thing I have seen in print discussing the Meyer hire process with plenty of specifics of Foley's involvement and that goes well beyond paperwork.

Obvious reason the Arizona paper would not go to someone like Bianchi for the article is he is just an opinion writer who tries to provoke readers.

I could care less what any of them claimed but when Machen disrespected Spurrier with that comment I knew that he was insisting on Meyer. At the time it was mentioned in quite a few places. I think it was caught on video also but you can't find a copy of it now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Obvious reason the Arizona paper would not go to someone like Bianchi (78's only source) for the article is Bianchi is just an opinion writer who tries to provoke readers.
It's the Deseret News, numbskull, not Desert News. It's a Salt Lake City paper, not Arizona.

BTW, Bianchi is strictly a columnist. Do I need to bring that to your attention, too?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I could care less what any of them claimed but when Machen disrespected Spurrier with that comment I knew that he was insisting on Meyer. At the time it was mentioned in quite a few places. I think it was caught on video also but you can't find a copy of it now.
I found out last night Steve did not want to come back to UF and that Machen (who did like Meyer) would have talked to SOS. Meyer was the smart choice. Meyer built on the strong foundation Spurrier built.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I found out last night Steve did not want to come back to UF and that Machen (who did like Meyer) would have talked to SOS. Meyer was the smart choice. Meyer built on the strong foundation Spurrier built.

Spurrier has changed tunes at times I think with his comments about that situation. I remember him making a joke about Machen making that interview comment to the press after it happened. That he guessed Machen didn't really know him like Machen said when questioned at the press conference.

I don't blame Spurrier for just moving on and taking the high road after that mess and even to this day. Machen just came off like a jerk in that situation imo. No need to say something like that to the press even if you know you are getting Meyer if at all possible.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier was trying to save face. What did anyone expect him to say? Sorry, I need a day or two to update my resume?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
It's the Deseret News, numbskull, not Desert News. It's a Salt Lake City paper, not Arizona.
My bad on the state. Utah makes it more credible. Utah was ground zero so them using Dooley over someone like Bianchi makes sense as they likely wanted accurate info as it specifically affected Utah.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

By the way what in this article is incorrect and what is your proof that it is incorrect other than you dont like Dooley. I am all for accuracy and that is a Utah paper.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-clears-air-on-how-he-ended-up-at-usc-not-uf/

Feb 16, 2017

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- For the last several years, many Florida fans have wondered how Steve Spurrier ended up coaching at an SEC East opponent after a short stint in the NFL with the Washington Redskins.

There have even been lingering rumors that Spurrier was asked to interview for the Florida job. On Monday, a student put the question to Spurrier, asking him to clear the air on what really happened late in 2004 when Florida was looking for a new coach and Spurrier was about to re-enter the college ranks.

The Head Ball Coach shot down the rumor that he was asked to interview.

"It wasn't a lengthy process," Spurrier said. "The president had Urban Meyer ready to come. And history shows that a coach who has had a really good run and goes somewhere else, then if he comes back he doesn't have near as a good a run as he had before."

That was a point that Florida's president at the time, Bernie Machen, made to Spurrier when they spoke briefly about the opening.

"Bernie Machen said 'coach, I don't know why you would want to come back, because you can't hardly accomplish what you did here,'" Spurrier said. "So right then they didn't really need me, and they had Urban Meyer. I really can see that point."
--------------------------------

Found this recent article while trying to find old articles on that situation which are practically non-existent now except for the Bianchi ones.

Spurrier does seem to be confirming more than he did so in the past that it was Meyer's job already basically.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My bad on the state. Utah makes it more credible. Utah was ground zero so them using Dooley over someone like Bianchi makes sense as they likely wanted accurate info as it specifically affected Utah.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/595112173/How-Florida-ended-up-landing-Urban-Meyer.html

By the way what in this article is incorrect and what is your proof that it is incorrect other than you dont like Dooley. I am all for accuracy and that is a Utah paper.
Dude, you've done nothing but distort my original comment from the moment I made it.

I never tried to say Foley wasn't involved in the process. Of course he was. He was the athletic director. He's the top athletic administrator.

What I attempted to say was Urban Meyer was Bernie Machen's initiative and that Machen usurped much of Foley's authority in doing so. Foley was in fact taking orders from Machen.

You're dead wrong in your earlier comment that it's usual and customary for university presidents to lead the way in selecting a football coach. They're academians and more often than not clueless on how to go about targeting a hire.

Frame it however you want, that Foley had not earned Machen's trust because of the horrible decision to hire Zook or that Machen was an egomaniac who intended from the outset to leave his stamp on the university and that Meyer, with whom he was all too familiar, was the easy choice for him.

Regardless which, Meyer was Bernie's baby.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Dude, you've done nothing but distort my original comment from the moment I made it.

I never tried to say Foley wasn't involved in the process. Of course he was. He was the athletic director. He's the top athletic administrator.

What I attempted to say was Urban Meyer was Bernie Machen's initiative and that Machen usurped much of Foley's authority in doing so. Foley was in fact taking orders from Machen.

You're dead wrong in your earlier comment that it's usual and customary for university presidents to lead the way in selecting a football coach. They're academians and more often than not clueless on how to go about targeting a hire.

Frame it however you want, that Foley had not earned Machen's trust because of the horrible decision to hire Zook or that Machen was an egomaniac who intended from the outset to leave his stamp on the university and that Meyer, with whom he was all too familiar, was the easy choice for him.

Regardless which, Meyer was Bernie's baby.
I see you are starting to back pedal. You specifically said that Foley did not hire Meyer. The truth is BOTH Machen and Foley hired him.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/news/story?id=1937879

"He met with Notre Dame officials in Salt Lake City on Thursday. But Foley was also in town the last two days trying to work out a deal with the most wanted coach in the country."

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Good Lord, you are thick skulled. If I'm the CEO and I command you to go hire a new IT officer, who technically did the hire?
BOTH. The AD did his job as instructed and hired Meyer. They both hired him which is normal. Foley screws up negotiations and people blame him. He didn't.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BOTH. The AD did his job as instructed and hired Meyer. They both hired him which is normal. Foley screws up negotiations and people blame him. He didn't.
It's mind numbing how obtuse you can be.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because you cannot objectively see beyond your dislike of Foley you won't give him credit for the important negotiations he did to sign Meyer.
I already did. You're so distracted by a silly little point you completely failed to see it.

What I wrote:

"I never tried to say Foley wasn't involved in the process. Of course he was. He was the athletic director. He's the top athletic administrator.

"What I attempted to say was Urban Meyer was Bernie Machen's initiative and that Machen usurped much of Foley's authority in doing so. Foley was in fact taking orders from Machen."

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
I already did. You're so distracted by a silly little point you completely failed to see it.
No you did not as you claim that only the President hired the head football coach. Not true. It was a joint effort.

You specifically said Foley did not hire Meyer but you have no proof.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb