Mullen getting creative in recruiting

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
"The premise you’ve argued against was that Machen was responsible for choosing Meyer"

Never said that. Don't believe that. Making things up does not prove you are correct.

Of course the President is responsible for what his subordinates do. Part of an AD's job is hiring and firing the coaches. 78 said Foley did not hire Meyer but hiring head coaches is part of Foley's job description.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The patient died from Stage IV pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to the liver.

No he didn't. He died of heart failure resulting from Stage IV pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to the liver.

Oh.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The Professor started this thread and there's no way you guys are gonna stop him from defending Foley, Mullen, Mac or whoever the hell else he chooses to defend.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The patient died from Stage IV pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to the liver.

No he didn't. He died of heart failure resulting from Stage IV pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to the liver.

Oh.

c1f2805a-f655-43f8-a34a-70539a62ad28_text.gif

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
The Professor started this thread and there's no way you guys are gonna stop him from defending Foley, Mullen, Mac or whoever the hell else he chooses to defend.
That professor is not me. 78 slandered that poor guy. I bring it up as I do not want responsibility for what 78 did to the guy. 78 knows it. Call the professor if you do not believe me.

I just correct 78 and Donkey when they make things up with no proof. Then they name call when they cannot back up what they said. or they play semantics so as to not give Foley credit on obvious things. I give him negative credit on his last two football hires but give him positive credit on Meyer.

I thought getting Stricklin and retiring Foley was the right move also. But when Donkey and 78 say things that are not true I will correct them . And then they will childishly respond with rubber darts that bounce off.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That professor is not me. 78 slandered that poor guy. I bring it up as I do not want responsibility for what 78 did to the guy. 78 knows it. Call the professor if you do not believe me.

I just correct 78 and Donkey when they make things up with no proof. Then they name call when they cannot back up what they said. or they play semantics so as to not give Foley credit on obvious things. I give him negative credit on his last two football hires but give him positive credit on Meyer.

I thought getting Stricklin and retiring Foley was the right move also. But when Donkey and 78 say things that are not true I will correct them . And then they will childishly respond with rubber darts that bounce off.
Link?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You already gave the link to the guys UF bio. Just man up and call the poor guy.
You're being emotional. I'm not going to worry about a guy who, sort of like you, dissects dead subjects when his information is already on a public website.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
You're being emotional. I'm not going to worry about a guy who, sort of like you, dissects dead subjects when his information is already on a public website.
Not being emotional I just don't want responsibility if you have screwed up the guys credit. That is on you not me. You not caring if you screwed a UF professor over says alot about you as a person and a Gator.

Last edited:

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
He is our coach now. Let him do his job. He attacks versus sitting back like our last DC. Should be exciting.
He is obviously our coach and I don't have the power to not let him do this job or he wouldn't be here. But this is a message board so when you make a statement about how he got the msu defense "quickly on shape", while leaving out the obvious reason in that he followed an absolutely horrible DC (which he's doing again here so not sure why you even point that out), I'm going to point out the pumping. He got msu close to the level that collins did. wow...He's not an elite recruiter. He's been fired from our biggest rival for not being good. He's a douche and has a much better chance of embarrassing us with his behavior than helping us win any sort of title since his Ds have sh!t the bed against the majority of good offenses they face. The reasons are obvious to anyone that actually follows football. It's a simplistic scheme that takes unnecessary chances and is screwed against bad matchups.

No one wants to hear this, but the bigger reason this should bother everyone is that it's just another example of being content with good, but not elite. mullen is either an idiot (which I don't think) or he knows grantham was likely not close to the best option also. It's just the safe option. Compare that to taggert who went and got a guy that might be elite in barnett that also happens to be considered one of the best DB coaches in football. michigan state was 4th in S&P last year.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I don’t read all the threads. I pick a few out that appear as though they might interest me. Never read this one. Until now. Now I wish i didn’t.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
He is obviously our coach and I don't have the power to not let him do this job or he wouldn't be here. But this is a message board so when you make a statement about how he got the msu defense "quickly on shape", while leaving out the obvious reason in that he followed an absolutely horrible DC (which he's doing again here so not sure why you even point that out), I'm going to point out the pumping. He got msu close to the level that collins did. wow...He's not an elite recruiter. He's been fired from our biggest rival for not being good. He's a douche and has a much better chance of embarrassing us with his behavior than helping us win any sort of title since his Ds have sh!t the bed against the majority of good offenses they face. The reasons are obvious to anyone that actually follows football. It's a simplistic scheme that takes unnecessary chances and is screwed against bad matchups.

No one wants to hear this, but the bigger reason this should bother everyone is that it's just another example of being content with good, but not elite. mullen is either an idiot (which I don't think) or he knows grantham was likely not close to the best option also. It's just the safe option. Compare that to taggert who went and got a guy that might be elite in barnett that also happens to be considered one of the best DB coaches in football. michigan state was 4th in S&P last year.
When fans crucify coaches before they even start the season it becomes harder to get the elite coaches. If you think 11 years in the NFL is not good experience then who is the coach that would have wanted to come to UF and be criticized before game one?

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
When fans crucify coaches before they even start the season it becomes harder to get the elite coaches.
No it doesn't. You've said it a million times with absolutely no evidence. Someone like grantham is a mercenary and doesn't give a sh!t that I don't like him. He would have taken this job even if he knew every Gator fan would be allowed to try and shoot him with a paintball gun when he got off the plane. I also don't think Grantham reads message boards so I'm not sure how you think he knows too much about what fans think of him.
If you think 11 years in the NFL is not good experience then who is the coach that would have wanted to come to UF and be criticized before game one?
II think most big football fans would put pretty little stock in his time in the NFL that ended close to a decade ago. That's actually a good thing since his one gig as a DC ended with him being fired after 3 years by a defensive HC. I do think most would put stock in his time as a DC more recently than that at arguably the most comparable school in the entire country to UF. Unfortunately, he also sh!t the bed there. So I guess almost any DC that hadn't been previously fired from another SEC East school and was famous for giving a UF player the choke sign might have taken the job due to getting less criticism?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
No it doesn't. You've said it a million times with absolutely no evidence. Someone like grantham is a mercenary and doesn't give a sh!t that I don't like him. He would have taken this job even if he knew every Gator fan would be allowed to try and shoot him with a paintball gun when he got off the plane. I also don't think Grantham reads message boards so I'm not sure how you think he knows too much about what fans think of him.

II think most big football fans would put pretty little stock in his time in the NFL that ended close to a decade ago. That's actually a good thing since his one gig as a DC ended with him being fired after 3 years by a defensive HC. I do think most would put stock in his time as a DC more recently than that at arguably the most comparable school in the entire country to UF. Unfortunately, he also sh!t the bed there. So I guess almost any DC that hadn't been previously fired from another SEC East school and was famous for giving a UF player the choke sign might have taken the job due to getting less criticism?
I can forgive the choke sign. Opposing fans hated Spurrier also.

Knowing the technique that is trained in the NFL can help. NFL coaches get fired all the time. Doesn't mean they dont learn top end technique.

I got tired of the passive defense we had last year. It will be exciting to see more sacks and turnovers. The cost will be more big plays given up. Will be exciting.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
I can forgive the choke sign. Opposing fans hated Spurrier also.
Wasn't even grantham's only embarrassing moment. teams hated Spurrier, but all wanted him on their side. Big difference.
Knowing the technique that is trained in the NFL can help. NFL coaches get fired all the time. Doesn't mean they dont learn top end technique.
Detail is increased, but there isn't some completely different types of technique taught in the nfl. Even if it was, a guy like barnett at fsu would have learned them...during his 7 years as an actual nfl player. I agree that coaches get fired and I'm not the one saying his nfl time is a big deal (positive or negative); just that if we are putting a lot of stock in it, it may not necessarily be a good thing.
I got tired of the passive defense we had last year. It will be exciting to see more sacks and turnovers. The cost will be more big plays given up. Will be exciting.
Anyone should have known that the stupid soft zone with RS was going to be [email protected] The same (to a much lesser extent) can be said about grantham. It'll be more exciting and, at the same time, more frustrating bc, as you pointed out, you'll see us give up more big plays than we ever have.

I'm not sure why, as The University of Florida, we can't hire a smart coach with a balanced scheme that has the ability to be elite. Maybe I'm just being selfish, but what if that person was also an elite recruiter?!?! I guess I can wait another 5 years...

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Wasn't even grantham's only embarrassing moment. teams hated Spurrier, but all wanted him on their side. Big difference.

I'm not sure why, as The University of Florida, we can't hire a smart coach with a balanced scheme that has the ability to be elite. Maybe I'm just being selfish, but what if that person was also an elite recruiter?!?! I guess I can wait another 5 years...

Itraz you obviously understand football and want what is best for UF. Stress is caused by things you cannot control and Grantham is our DC . Us complaining won't change that. Who knows he may add more balance this year. Muschamp eventually learned his lesson about offense at South Carolina so who knows. See what he does.

One thing this defense has is speed. Both of our corners are burners as is Gardener in the nickel. Moss is quick. and long at LB. Reese is not a burner but has a nose for the ball. A Clayton has a quick getoff. CeCe when healthy can get after it. Safety should be better this year. If we go 3-4 that means our depth at DT should be solid. Slayton is a load in the middle.

Our defense can be very good. With his policy of even if you do not know what to do just go fast we should see some big plays given up. but we might get that offset with some turnovers. I expect mistakes earlier in the season. Part of the learning curve with a new system. Hopefully they start coming together by the UT road game.

Ironically Mac left UF with better talent on defense than offense and he was supposed to be an offensive minded coach.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Private conversations
Help Users

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    swamprat