Mullen/McElwain: Night and Day!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm already hated here, so I'm just gonna add to the pile of hate at this point. Remember that quote above? It's just as true today.

It's incredibly mindboggling how so many people on this board were against the Mullen hire, but now have completely changed their tune.

Based on what? His coaching hires? His recruiting? His attitude with the fans and the media? His excitement to be here?

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

Are you all that freaking blind and naive?

I go by the eye test. And we have seen the eye test of what a Dan Mullen coached team does on the field for years.

Dan Mullen= 108 passing offense this season at Mississippi State. I thought the point was to hire a coach who can fix our offense, not more of the same.

NOTHING Dan Mullen does in the off-season is going to make me change my opinion even 1%. It was an absolutely terrible, boring and easy hire then and it still is.

Unless he proves it on the field (and believe me, he won't), Gator Nation is absolutely f--ked.

You people kill me. You really do.
You could be right - we may not win jack. However, I'm at least convinced we'll have a functioning program again, something we haven't had under the last two hires. That will at least help set things up better for the next guy.

It's pointless to b!tch and moan about Mullen at this point. He's here a minimum of 3 years and so far I've been pleased with what he's done. He's changing the perception of things in a good way.

The fact is, the bar has been lowered so far that I'll be happy if we just don't embarrass ourselves on the field. That's how bad it's been. We are NOT going to have 100+ ranked offenses under Dan Mullen.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
You could be right - we may not win jack. However, I'm at least convinced we'll have a functioning program again, something we haven't had under the last two hires.

Yep, this. This hire did not wow me, but in hindsight he's got nearly a decade of experience in our league running a program with no compliance issues, without continuous off the field issues and with decent results considering the program's history and recruiting base. He's clearly come in here on a mission with a plan to right the ship. Maybe it is just that he has communicated that plan much more effectively than either of the two guys that came before him; but the eye test for results is thus far being passed at least for me. There's clearly a difference in intentionality becoming execution. With the exception of Knox there is not a coach that he has hired that I've winced when it was announced. We'll see how the young LB coach pans out, but he appears to have high upside.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You could be right - we may not win jack. However, I'm at least convinced we'll have a functioning program again, something we haven't had under the last two hires. That will at least help set things up better for the next guy.
Yeah. Ga Southern, FAU, and North Texas won't be laughing at our offense anymore at least.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Butter's staff was an abject failure from the beginning. Two POS coordinators, one that got fired at his last two jobs and was labasted by Saban for being completely predictable, and a DC that was last scene getting shamed on national tv by Mullinz for giving up 600 yards to a lame duck Ole Siss team.

RS? Only Miami was scared. Most of us could hardly stomach the thought.

The rest of those midmajor wonders? Please. Butters' staff was straight shyt from day one.

Do I like the Mullinz hire? I didn't. Do I like Grantham? Of course not. But they are our guys at the moment.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have a pretty good record of Butterteeth being "in on a good class" then failing to produce on NSD and that was while he was still eaking out close victories over the Vandies and FAUs of the world and before he went 4-8.

Moreover, those classes were ranked primarily on having so many in the class at a time when most schools didn't have pledges yet. it wasn't a great class as far as number of blue chippers/GPA was concerned. that's especially true for the 2019 class.

This is 100% accurate.

1. Who says any of these guys would have actually signed an LOI when signing day arrived
2. There were a lot of 3 star kind of players in the class that we ultimately would have criticized
3. Mac could sign the top class in the country and we would still underachieve.

Lets be honest, the guy is a loser and no level of talent would change that. He would have continued to float through life delegating everything to incompetent coaches like Nuss while he stuffed his face with PB&J's and tap danced through press conferences with his beatnik routine that I tired of after year one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You know I love you bro and missed you when you were gone, but this whole post is nuts. How many of our current hires were midmajor el cheapo hires? Just the LB coach. You think Callaghan looked good on paper..... lulz, ok.

Seek help for Mullinz Derangement Syndrome.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You know I love you bro and missed you when you were gone, but this whole post is nuts. How many of our current hires were midmajor el cheapo hires? Just the LB coach. You think Callaghan looked good on paper..... lulz, ok.

Seek help for Mullinz Derangement Syndrome.

Another positive for Mullen’s staff: Mullen’s track record as a SEC/P5 HC is >>>>>>>>> Mac/Champ. He’s actually done pretty well over an extended period of time in a tough spot. Champ had no HC experience. Mac turned around a moribund MWC program but only had one good season.

Long story short: the assistants may not look leaps and bounds better on paper than the previous staff but the HC sure does. Can’t discount that as he’s the most important part of the staff...

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm already hated here, so I'm just gonna add to the pile of hate at this point. Remember that quote above? It's just as true today.

It's incredibly mindboggling how so many people on this board were against the Mullen hire, but now have completely changed their tune.

Based on what? His coaching hires? His recruiting? His attitude with the fans and the media? His excitement to be here?

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

Are you all that freaking blind and naive?

I go by the eye test. And we have seen the eye test of what a Dan Mullen coached team does on the field for years.

Dan Mullen= 108 passing offense this season at Mississippi State. I thought the point was to hire a coach who can fix our offense, not more of the same.

NOTHING Dan Mullen does in the off-season is going to make me change my opinion even 1%. It was an absolutely terrible, boring and easy hire then and it still is.

Unless he proves it on the field (and believe me, he won't), Gator Nation is absolutely f--ked.

You people kill me. You really do.

You bring up a number of fair points. He wasn’t a splashy hire by any means. He’s off to a good start and definitely an improvement over the last guy but that’s a really low bar. I hope he knocks it out of the park but we need to see results on the field quickly. I’m cautiously optimistic that he can get us an occasional SEC title. What I’m unsure of is if he can consistently win the SEC and get us a natty, but I’m willing to give him a chance (as if I have any other choice :) ). Frost, despite the shortcoming of only having 2 years of HC experience, would have been a splashy hire who I think would have done very well at UF. I think he’ll do well in Lincoln.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I don’t think Miami was freaking out when we got Shannon. They experienced his incompetence first hand and ultimately fired him.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

I watched the under armor all-star game and I'm watching the U.S. Army all star game now. It's sobering watching all the top recruits going to places other than UF. Been this way for years.
We don't have the talent. Mullen is a step, and IMO, only a step, in the right direction. He won't take us to the promise land. I'm hoping he can do triage (which he appears to be doing) to stop the bleeding and begin recovery. Next comes re-hab. 3-5 years of 8-10 wins. Maybe an SEC tile and a couple of SECE titles. Maybe.

It will be just as boring as it was at Cowbell unless he stumbles on another Tebow/Harvin/James/Pouncy/Hernandez/Cooper type of O class.

Dan Mullen was the generic coaching choice...unless he changes his scheme.

Wait till next year.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Recruiting under him at Miami dropped off significantly. His classes ranked in the Top 10 ONCE during his tenure. In the 7 years prior to him taking over as HC, Miami’s classes only finished outside the Top 10 ONCE. Anybody that was/is touting Shannon as a recruiting success while HC there doesn’t know what they are talking about.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Recruiting under him at Miami dropped off significantly. His classes ranked in the Top 10 ONCE during his tenure. In the 7 years prior to him taking over as HC, Miami’s classes only finished outside the Top 10 ONCE. Anybody that was/is touting Shannon as a recruiting success while HC there doesn’t know what they are talking about.

I think RS was great for Miami recruiting prior to recruiting services. He had all these connections and could find these gems no one else had heard of. Once recruiting services started identifying all the Miami talent and other schools could easily recruit them, his advantage disappeared. He seems like a great man but I think his time in CFB positions of importance are over.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Butter's staff was an abject failure from the beginning. Two POS coordinators, one that got fired at his last two jobs and was labasted by Saban for being completely predictable, and a DC that was last scene getting shamed on national tv by Mullinz for giving up 600 yards to a lame duck Ole Siss team.

RS? Only Miami was scared. Most of us could hardly stomach the thought.

The rest of those midmajor wonders? Please. Butters' staff was straight shyt from day one.

Do I like the Mullinz hire? I didn't. Do I like Grantham? Of course not. But they are our guys at the moment.
Yep. Macs staff was garbage from the onset. Callahan, Summers, Nord, skipper, that dude that lasted a week before skipping out and going back to the NFL LOL, Nuss. Not a single good recruiter in the group. All unproven or proven to be mediocre. Shannon? Fallen from grace as a linebacker coach for freakin Arkansas. To call Macs staff better on paper than Mullens is the dumbest ****ing thing i’ve read and traz has said some really dumb stuff.

Sunseri is a fantastic coach. Hevesy is a great oline coach. Gonzales is a very good wr coach. We have proven good coaches. God forbid anybody we hire ever go to a doormat before coming to UF. They suck! They didnt win! They went to a perennial 4 win team, won 8-9 games and sucked the place up! Awful! They took Vandy of the west during the height of Sabans run and went to the number one rating in the god damn country for gods sake.

None of us have any idea what its going to he like at florida, but its completely uncomparable to MSU. Copeland himself said he liked the coaches but no way in hell he’s living in Mississippi. It’s a tough freakin job. But we’ve seen what these dudes can do at UF. And even if they fail, they will build us back to a product that the next guy can win with.

It’s all opinion but some like to think their opinion is like gold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.