Mullen/McElwain: Night and Day!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Your bias is showing a bit in that you focused on the one stat that supports your opinion. Correct me if I’m not reading this right:

Overall in their special teams ranking, MSU was 27th, UF was 104th, a ranking that was buoyed by Eddie’s FG proficiency (2nd) and kickoff coverage (so many touchbacks). MSU was 15th in punt return efficiency last year. UF was 129th - next to last.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

We should see improvement in coverage and returns, pending replacing our excellent punter and PK.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The 247 recruiter rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt. A huge grain of salt. i.e. comparing the Alabama LB recruiter to the Vandy DB recruiter is apples and oranges. You'd really have to take a deep dive in the data to get anything meaningful. A comparison of how a recruiter did at his school against the previous recruiter at that position/school might be illuminating. Plus there are often wild swings from year to year for the same recruiter. I think Nuss was our "best" recruiter last year and RS the year before. Does anybody believe that?
If I'm going to rely entirely on 247 to determine if a coach is a good recruiter I'd have to see data that the coach improved recruiting at his school/position.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

In 40+ years of watching the Gators I cannot recall a stretch of worse TE production. In a struggling offense and particularly with young/struggling QBs the TE is typically an outlet, if anything overused. Goolsby regressed. The others never developed.

So yeah - I think a decent coach switching positions will be better. He has coached WRs and RBs. Plus, Hevesy has TE coaching experience so it’s not like he’ll be on his own.

That’s assuming he winds up on TEs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The 247 recruiter rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt. A huge grain of salt. i.e. comparing the Alabama LB recruiter to the Vandy DB recruiter is apples and oranges. You'd really have to take a deep dive in the data to get anything meaningful. A comparison of how a recruiter did at his school against the previous recruiter at that position/school might be illuminating. Plus there are often wild swings from year to year for the same recruiter. I think Nuss was our "best" recruiter last year and RS the year before. Does anybody believe that?.
No, and 247 has been repeatedly and undoubtedly shown to be shyt. I dont know why anyone would ever look at them.

The think Nord is good bc of math. Nord was listed as a primary receuiter. One TE receuit is good for a class, two is considered excellent. Think we landed two each year, trying to find someone competent.

Nord was hidden most of the time and never made the really important recruitimg visits. That says it all.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
In 40+ years of watching the Gators I cannot recall a stretch of worse TE production. In a struggling offense and particularly with young/struggling QBs the TE is typically an outlet, if anything overused. Goolsby regressed. The others never developed.

So yeah - I think a decent coach switching positions will be better. He has coached WRs and RBs. Plus, Hevesy has TE coaching experience so it’s not like he’ll be on his own.

That’s assuming he winds up on TEs.
Nord really was the worst coach I can ever remember. I can't think of any reason he had a job.
Knox will be a step up. I'd prefer someone who's coached TE's before but WR/RB is close enough.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Look at the comparisons.

Qb coach/oc
Brian Johnson vs Doug Nussmeier
Does it get any worse than Nuss?

RB coach
Jujuan Seider vs Tim Skipper
Pretty obvious Seider wins this out considering Skipper was coaching linebackers at csu and Seiders our best recruiter and as solid of a rb coach as it gets.

WR coach
Billy Gonzalez vs Kerry Dixon
I think I'll take Gonzalez over the guy who was coaching running backs at Florida atlantic.

TE/ST coach
Kevin Knox vs Greg nord
LOL

OL coach
John Hevesy vs Mike Summers
I'm rolling with hevesy.

DL coach
Sal Sunseri vs Chris Rumph
The redflag with Rumph is bama let him go to Texas and Texas didn't put up much of a fight to keep him. I'm going with Sunseri.

LB coach
Already forgot the GA's name vs RS
Shannon wins this out. Finally macs on the board.

DB coach
Charlton warren vs kirk callahan
Former unc and ut coach vs mid major db coach of ucf. Warren wins.

DC
Todd Grantham vs Geoff Collins
I believe Granthams defense in starkville was better than collins and he has way more nfl players in his resume. Grantham wins this one too.

After breaking it down, it's not even close.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In 40+ years of watching the Gators I cannot recall a stretch of worse TE production.
TE production? STs looked like they didnt bother practicing and were drawing plays in the dirt.

Not really any different than the offense though. I dont think Ive ever seen a P5 school face teams rushing 3 or 4 DL, even geographic teams, no bltizes no stunts, and still miss blocks completely on a regular basis.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DC
Todd Grantham vs Geoff Collins
I believe Granthams defense in starkville was better than collins and he has way more nfl players in his resume. Grantham wins this one too.
Sidehat has the record for most yards given up at both Cowbell amd UF. Swag chalicing. Impressive considering how many bad DCs both habe had.

The only reason the perception is altered at all is bc he is compared against Butters' other coordinators, worst P5 OC and the worst ST coordinator probably in history. By those standards, I guess being the DC that give up the most yards at two different schools is damn near being a super star.

Sidehat inherited great talent, and benefit from Butters' nonexistent offenses. His man off and soft zone coverages mad every opposing QB look like Joe Montana. He is so lucky he inherited some great CBs and rush ends.

I hate RS but Id take him over Sidehat without a split second of doubt.

I hate Grantham too but he is an improvement over either.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I hate RS but Id take him over Sidehat without a split second of doubt.

I hate Grantham too but he is an improvement over either.

A chunk of the staff is long-term connected with Mullen & Seider is sticking with UF. Some of them are mercenaries that our harried village is happy to see.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of interesting opinions in this thread. My opinion is that we posters look divided into the usual sub-groups that either (a) are glad McElwain and his crew are now gone and Mullen provides a semblance of a return to a team that will be more consistently competitive based on his role under Meyer and what he was able to do at MSU, impressive or mediocre depending upon individual perspective, along with what he has accomplished thus far, or (b) he was not the big splash hoped for (Kelly though I think we dodged a big bullet here, Frost, etc.) and he will only bring a MSU mediocrity, along with a staff composed mostly of his cronies and his offense is only sustainable if we have a bruiser at QB.

There are points for consideration from both perspectives. Personally, I wouldn't call him a knock-out (but truthfully there are only a handful of those, most of whom aren't moving from where they are), but a solid hire. I like the staff he has put together and have no issue with him hiring guys with whom he is familiar. Nor do I fear a guy coaching the TE position for the first time. As has been mentioned, the position coach's background with receivers should pair well with what the OL coach can provide when they combo.

Ultimately, Mullen will have to provide more, but compared to what we have had most recently, he has been a breath of fresh air thus far and for those who can appreciate that, it is a welcome change. Again, he's going to have to produce and I believe he is taking the necessary steps for that to happen thus far. We'll see. From what I've seen in Tallahassee so far, I have to ask...who still wishes we got Taggart instead? He may be the next big deal, but right now I believe FAMU got the best Willie in the Capital city ;)!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A lot of interesting opinions in this thread. My opinion is that we posters look divided into the usual sub-groups that either (a) are glad McElwain and his crew are now gone and Mullen provides a semblance of a return to a team that will be more consistently competitive based on his role under Meyer and what he was able to do at MSU, impressive or mediocre depending upon individual perspective, along with what he has accomplished thus far, or (b) he was not the big splash hoped for (Kelly though I think we dodged a big bullet here, Frost, etc.) and he will only bring a MSU mediocrity, along with a staff composed mostly of his cronies and his offense is only sustainable if we have a bruiser at QB.

There are points for consideration from both perspectives. Personally, I wouldn't call him a knock-out (but truthfully there are only a handful of those, most of whom aren't moving from where they are), but a solid hire. I like the staff he has put together and have no issue with him hiring guys with whom he is familiar. Nor do I fear a guy coaching the TE position for the first time. As has been mentioned, the position coach's background with receivers should pair well with what the OL coach can provide when they combo.

Ultimately, Mullen will have to provide more, but compared to what we have had most recently, he has been a breath of fresh air thus far and for those who can appreciate that, it is a welcome change. Again, he's going to have to produce and I believe he is taking the necessary steps for that to happen thus far. We'll see. From what I've seen in Tallahassee so far, I have to ask...who still wishes we got Taggart instead? He may be the next big deal, but right now I believe FAMU got the best Willie in the Capital city ;)!

C2, agree w/ your takes. I didn't read the whole thread, but my take is in between your (a) and (b). I'm ecstatic Butters is gone and I'm underwhelmed that we could land our top 2/3 coaching targets. But I'm 100% giving Mullen the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, he's a much better hire than Zook, Muschamp or Butters and it's not even close.

I'm taking "the jury is still out" approach until he proves otherwise. If we struggle vs. Colorado State next year however, that will be red-flag #1. The UF's of the world shouldn't be going to overtime vs. 3-9 FAU's of the world (like Butters did his first year). Honestly, that was the moment I knew he was in over his head (he had gone 6-0 w/ Grier then the real Butters/Nuss showed their ugly head). If Mullen has an "FAU moment" I'm going to be very concerned. But until then, it'll be a wait and see....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.