Mullen on Defensive Woes: We have simply been facing "great" offenses

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not sure Dan knows the Gator fans that well. He still thinks he's at Miss State where the fans would buy that chit.
The Zooker said it best with his "Noise in the system quote" Mullen better get ready for a little noise.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
:wtf:

Why is he going out of his way to make a fool of himself?

images

Perhaps b/c he is a FOOL. he is an azzhole and a shyt coach?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After 9 years of data we paid this douche canoe $6 Million a year. If you go back to look at 2017 and you see a good number of the posters here hated the hire for the exact reason this fucher is showing now. He isn't a elite or a leader, he is just another dude collecting a paycheck living off being a guy who worked for a dude who was elite.

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Yes we have a chance to have a good defense if we had a defensive coach worth a ****. Grantham whole defense is pressure on the qb force throws. We obviously can't do that so his defense needs to change but does it no he calls all out blitzes on 2nd downs and drops into zone coverage on 3rd downs making it easy to convert. I'm fine with our defense sucking but 90% is the packages they are put in. Damn man on man if we get beat on a pass we get beat but hell bump em knock em off their route make them earn the completion. Don't stand 10yds away and watch them catch it

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Yes we have a chance to have a good defense if we had a defensive coach worth a ****. Grantham whole defense is pressure on the qb force throws. We obviously can't do that so his defense needs to change but does it no he calls all out blitzes on 2nd downs and drops into zone coverage on 3rd downs making it easy to convert. I'm fine with our defense sucking but 90% is the packages they are put in. Damn man on man if we get beat on a pass we get beat but hell bump em knock em off their route make them earn the completion. Don't stand 10yds away and watch them catch it

His track record is he’s usually decent the first couple years and causes “havoc”....his third year he regresses or moves on...so what is “Third and Grantham” in a literal sense? More likely his career trajectory

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Yep, Dan's the problem.

The reality is that I need to stop paying any attention to his public statements. Because only a buffoon throws his personnel under the bus publicly. Privately could and should be a different story.

What I am paying attention to is his actions. And into his 3rd year, sub par defensive performance and recruiting, he's done very little to correct glaring flaws. Hence, "Yep, Dan's the problem."

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can somewhat appreciate him wanting to stand up for the D players, but the sad fact is that Ol’ Miss is the best O we’ve faced. USCe was better prepared than they were good, I believe. TAMU was probably better than USCe and their run game was the best of the three opponents.

We’ve given up 993 total passing yds, 492 total rushing yds (1485 total for an avg of 495 / game) and allowed 86 first downs. Opponents are converting 58.7% on third down and 75.0% on fourth). Bottom line is that you can beat the weak sisters, with our offense, giving up an average of roughly 500 / game. But the better offensive teams are a toss up using this small sample size (almost 1/3 of the season) and we are 1-1 in those games at this point. What will happen if we get to play UGA, arguably the strongest D we would face at that point?

We are severely unbalanced, so much so that despite the abilities (or shortcomings) of the D staff, there is imo only so much immediate improvement that can be made. Certainly we can improve individual and team tackling. Coverage can get better, but will probably be slower. It is improbable for them to get bigger and stronger in-season.

Playing it back, much of the fault is in defensive recruiting targets and misses, but some question surrounds whether Grantham was overruled on specific recruiting targets (Mullen’s error), whether he was in error on his targets, and / or whether he was lax in his efforts? However it is, there is obviously new strategy and effort necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator