Rumor: Mullen was on vacation on NSD

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So to recap, the disagreement is over Mullen’s buyout, not Grantham’s, which is $2m (I would have expected it to be much higher).

What I don’t get is why the “administration,” aka Stricklin, wouldn’t allow him to fire Grantham if Grantham’s own buyout wasn’t the issue. We apparently need to be more conscious of his third-down philosophy the next time we go shopping for a baseball AD.

Edit: Actually, strike that. Mullen’s buyout isn’t a source of disagreement. He owes it if he bolts for the NFL, but that still leaves the question of why he wasn’t allowed to fire Grantham. It also makes me wonder if it has anything to do with him looking elsewhere.
Nobody knows what the disagreement is about.

Goldkamp came out later and said that neither the administration or the UAA had vetoed or pressured him to make any decisions about his staff.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Goldkamp came out later and said that neither the administration or the UAA had vetoed or pressured him to make any decisions about his staff.

So sheer speculation on your part that Mullen sought to fire Grantham, the only thing known being that there is some sort of big spat going on.

It’s beginning to sound like the whole thing is a nothing burger. Maybe a large nothing burger with lettuce and mayo.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So sheer speculation on your part that Mullen sought to fire Grantham, the only thing known being that there is some sort of big spat going on.

It’s beginning to sound like the whole thing is a nothing burger. Maybe a large nothing burger with lettuce and mayo.

Yes. But I don’t know what you mean it’s a giant nothing burger. He is in discussion with the NFL. Because he is not happy about something. But nobody seems to know what it is.

He could be here in two weeks. He could be gone in two weeks. We don’t know.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes. But I don’t know what you mean it’s a giant nothing burger. He is in discussion with the NFL. Because he is not happy about something. But nobody seems to know what it is.

He could be here in two weeks. He could be gone in two weeks. We don’t know.

It’s a dots connection thing. I inferred from the OP here that he was highly motivated on its own for a (then) potential Jets opening. Now you’re adding different color as to the here and why.

No, that’s not a nothing burger if it’s accurate. It means there’s a rift between the two sides that may not be fixable.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
It’s a dots connection thing. I inferred from the OP here that he was highly motivated on its own for a (then) potential Jets opening. Now you’re adding different color as to the here and why.

No, that’s not a nothing burger if it’s accurate. It means there’s a rift between that may not be fixable.

Any chance it could just be Sexton floating turds trying to get Cousin Eddie more $ after a crappy end to a once promising season? I don’t see next year being any better with Grantham in place and Trask and his receiving corps gone so this may be his best chance to extort more money from Fuchs and Stricklin. Nothing Mullen has done here has shown me he is NFL HC material..

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

No, that’s not a nothing burger if it’s accurate. It means there’s a rift between the two sides that may not be fixable.

And personally I think this sucks. I know a lot of people don’t like Mullen. But I think he has restored our offensive prowress, repaired relationships with high schools, and got people excited about the Gators again.

His biggest weakness (to me) is that he is more concerned about loyalty than production with his coaching staff. I don’t know if it’s a cycle he can break. But I have enjoyed watching the Gators over the last two years more than any other time since 2009.

I don’t know how going into another coaching search is going to help the program.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t know how going into another coaching search is going to help the program.
It sure as hell is going to help the Chatter!

FU8l.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And personally I think this sucks. I know a lot of people don’t like Mullen. But I think he has restored our offensive prowress, repaired relationships with high schools, and got people excited about the Gators again.

His biggest weakness (to me) is that he is more concerned about loyalty than production with his coaching staff. I don’t know if it’s a cycle he can break. But I have enjoyed watching the Gators over the last two years more than any other time since 2009.

I get it. There are a lot of different emotions swirling amongst the fans, the awful defense and Grantham’s doings and the appearance of Mullen being loyal to a fault and intentionally obtuse being chief among them.

That still may be true, in which case I’m willing to take on that risk. I’m convinced Mullen is an A-to-B guy. We need a B-to-C guy.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
If we’d finished the season with wins vs LSU, a showing like we had vs Bama and a bowl win against Chokelahoma, the discussion wouldn’t even be had about whether we’d be thrilled if the Jets took him off our hands.

I think the other caveat would be the Grantham firing along with those other things. The fact that all of this happened has created a perfect storm of disapproval and disappointment with him, especially given the appearance that he’s unwilling to fire any of his buddies, with Grantham being the main one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Fukkk that corndog Goldkamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By being half as successful as Butters?

Which high school is he recruiting well?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey’s going to drive to Flushing and personally see to it that the electricity is turned off when Mullen hops a subway. :lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can bet we lose a LOT more recruits. The other staffs arent on vacation this month and will be burning up the phone lines.

We may go from 3* U to 2* U soon.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Someone get Oregon State and Central Michigan on the phone for Dorky Dan.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I fully expect him to send the picture soon wearing a Nebraska hat and eating corn.

Who can photoshop this?

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, recruiting may take a dump. Frankly, that’s the least of my concerns. I’m glad the administration has finally stepped up to the plate on Mullen’s shenanigans. I’d been thinking this was a potential. It was only a matter of time.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By being half as successful as Butters?

Which high school is he recruiting well?

You know as well as I know that we had been kicked out of some high schools. Go to 247 and Rivals and look it up if you’re interested. There are literally hundreds of threads talking about it. Under Mac we were actually losing our footing in Tampa. Mullen repaired a lot of those relationships.

Somewhere in the recruiting thread here on Gatorchatter There is a quote from a Jacksonville coach who says that Mullen has repaired a lot of the broken relationships UF over the last decade with high school coaches up in Jacksonville.

Look – he is not a great recruiter. He does not approach recruiting with nearly the same intensity as Chump, Zook, or Meyer. But he does run a good program and he has made us relevant again

According to your prognostication, we should’ve had a losing records the last two seasons. And he wouldn’t have been able to do anything with Trask. And we would never beat Georgia with him. You should be the most ecstatic person on the board because he would’ve gone oodles beyond anything you would’ve predicted. Instead you’re one of the people that’s leading the charge to hate the guy.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So, had a long weekend that didn't involve anything Gator related because the way the last 3 weeks went I just don't want to depress the start of a new year. This thread has surprised me a bit and have read most of it but still unsure wth is going on. Is Mullen still our coach? Is Strick mad at Mullen? Is Grantham fired yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.