Rumor: Mullen was on vacation on NSD

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anything’s possible but the logic and optics are impossibly bad. It’s not as though kids don’t change their mind at the last minute. “Sorry, but you’ll need to wait in queue until Coach Mullen returns from the Caribbean.”

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Much like his press conferences and his demeanor from Day one, it's unprofessional.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Well Grantham is on vacation on Game Day!!!

drunk-frog-beach-14468100.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
247 boards are saying he was on vacation on NSD. They are going crazy over there.

If that's accurate, he's officially mailed it in. Maybe he can't handle it and isn't the guy as many have suggested, or maybe he's seen enough from Stricklin to know it's moot and this is all we'll ever be. Either way, it's here we go again, and my optimism for the future is about gone.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If that's accurate, he's officially mailed it in. Maybe he can't handle it and isn't the guy as many have suggested, or maybe he's seen enough from Stricklin to know it's moot and this is all we'll ever be. Either way, it's here we go again, and my optimism for the future is about gone.

I think it is the combination, he isn't the guy, but neither is the guy who brought him in.. or the people above him that brought him in.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think he thinks he did a great job and deserves the vacation.

Anyone think Saban has been on vacation yet?

Kirby Dumb?

Dumbo?

O?

Crap, even his instate competition Manny and Norvell?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Kirby Dumb?

Dumbo?

O?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Saban hasn't had a vacation in years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Kirby Dumb?

Dumbo?

O?

In order:

No.

No.

No, but his ex-wife is at a Hedonism resort.

Manny was already born into wealth and lives in Miami. No need for a vacation right now.

And based on what I've heard about Norvell, any chance of him taking a vacation was probably spoiled when he went all in on GME at 345 a week ago.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Below is not the entire article but it is most of it...

How Dan Mullen extended and improved Florida’s run of bringing in transfers

How Dan Mullen extended and improved Florida’s run of bringing in transfers | GatorCountry.com

The Before Times

The NCAA first did a trial run of the graduate transfer rule in 2006. Florida took advantage, as Urban Meyer got his former cornerback Ryan Smith to transfer from Utah. It’s not an exaggeration to suggest those circumstances made a big impact on whether the Gators won that year’s national championship or not. Smith started the whole year, and the weak 2007 secondary showed there wasn’t a lot behind him.

Other than Smith, can you name a transfer in the Meyer era? Emmanuel Moody was a visible one, coming over from what was then the country’s premier program USC after winning Pac-10 Freshman of the Year honors. Carl Moore was a JUCO transfer, but we’re not really talking about JUCOs here.

Will Muschamp didn’t take many transfers either. He did bring in a couple of offensive linemen with first with Max Garcia from Maryland and later Tyler Moore from Nebraska. Muschamp only signed four total offensive linemen across his first two classes, and two of those never contributed. He needed the help, so he made exceptions for them.

Transfers were rare under those coaches, and most were in positions of extreme need. To an extent, that’s still true. It’s just that the recruiting failures of the Muschamp and Jim McElwain regimes changed how many positions of extreme need existed.

Mac

McElwain had the unenviable task of trying to clean up a roster mess left behind by his predecessor. For all of Muschamp’s plusses as a recruiter, managing numbers at every position was a nut he never could crack.

Muschamp taking two transfers with limited years of eligibility left didn’t miraculously solve the offensive line problems, so Mac had to get immediate help. Grad transfer Mason Halter made the rare FU to UF switcheroo, heading south for Gainesville from Fordham, and he started every regular season game of his last collegiate season. TJ McCoy was of longer-term help, redshirting in 2015 before working his way up to a starting job late the following year.

Muschamp was great at finding quarterbacks for other programs; three of his signees went on to start and get drafted from elsewhere. He did not leave a lot of depth behind, and things would get worse when Will Grier decided to leave after his PED suspension during Mac’s first season.

So, McElwain went out and got the same kind of thing at quarterback with one short timer and one guy for the future. Josh Grady was one-year insurance policy in case something happened to both of the only two scholarship signal callers, Grier and Treon Harris. Luke Del Rio would start games in each of the following two years, but he had to sit out ’15 due to transfer rules.

The final was grad transfer Anthony Harrell, a depth player at linebacker. He did little of note in his short time in the program.

The next year brought two more transfers. One again was at quarterback, grad transfer Austin Appleby. As Del Rio proved not terribly durable, the former Boilermaker needed to step in a few times to prevent one of a couple of true freshmen in Felipe Franks or Kyle Trask from having to go. The other transfer was Tommy Townsend, brother of then-starting punter Johnny.

Mac completed the sweep with yet another quarterback transfer in 2017 with Malik Zaire. It… didn’t go well. He got also help on the lines for the future from Jean Delance and Marlon Dunlap, who both sat out the year due to transfer rules.

All told, McElwain took ten transfers in three years: five, then two, then three.

Mullen

By the recruiting service averages, Mac was the worst recruiter of UF head coaches this century. His 2016 class in particular had a lot of 3-star talent that showed out above that assessment, though it took Mullen and his staff’s development to get many of them to a higher level.

Wide receiver needed and got an infusion of high-end talent with Van Jefferson and Trevon Grimes while the homegrown signees finally started improving with good coaching, and Buck linebacker got a double dose of help in 2019 with Jonathan Greenard for the present and Brenton Cox the future. UF wasn’t using a Buck in Mac’s time, so going after experienced players there made sense after signing a bunch of them in the 2019 class.

Most of Mullen’s transfers have been guys with multiple years of eligibility left. He’s not been stuck continually trying to apply one-year band aids like McElwain did at quarterback.

One thing that makes Mullen’s transfers different than McElwain’s is that he’s used them to fix his own shortcomings. Muschamp did that a little, but Mullen is on a whole other level.

Only one of two 2018 receiver signees made it to fall camp and the wideouts he got in 2019 were varying degrees of projects, but Justin Shorter is helping smooth over that issue. Offensive line didn’t net a lot outside Richard Gouraige in 2018 and John Hevesy is bringing most of the 2019 signees along slowly, so Stewart Reese helped inside the same way Shorter did out wide. Recruiting at defensive tackle was an abject failure in 2018 and 2019, so Mullen had to go get two grad transfers in Antonio Shelton and Daquan Newkirk for this year.

Here’s where things get interesting. Mullen struck out at running back in the 2020 recruiting cycle, but he accepted Lorenzo Lingard’s transfer from Miami last winter and got one of his top ’20 targets anyway when Demarkcus Bowman chose to leave Clemson in the fall. Mullen even tried to sell the line that Lingard was the staff’s top pick for running back in last year’s cycle and would only take a high school recruit that was elite.

Whether that was the real truth or spin I don’t know, but it was the first time I’m aware of that Mullen publicly pitched transfers as explicit substitutes for recruits. This year it does appear that the program left initial counter spots open following the December signing day for transfers, and the release touting transfers on the February signing day comes across as a tacit admission of that tactic (in addition to being a way to avoid complete silence on an important recruiting day).

Mullen took ten transfers in his first three years, the same numbers but in reverse of McElwain. Three entered the program in 2018 (Jefferson, Grimes, Adam Shuler), two entered in 2019 (Greenard, Cox), and five entered or announced their intentions to do so in 2020 (Lingard, Shorter, Reese, Jordan Pouncey, and Bowman). It’s not the same as Mac’s time, however, as most have already started or project to do so at some point, and the non-grad transfers have had a lot better luck at getting waivers to play right away.

Unless the initial counter rules change, and Mullen is one of a number of coaches to lobby for adjustments, UF will have to do what it did this year and undersign high school recruits to keep bringing in big time transfers. There are pluses and minuses to the strategy.

You have to do what you have to do when it comes to the dire depth situation at defensive tackle prior to Shelton and Newkirk coming, and you don’t turn down a Bowman or an Arik Gilbert who want in. However, signing 20-22 high school recruits is closer to a transitional class size than a normal one. There will always be attrition, and starting out at 22 instead of 25 only ensures there will be more holes to patch in the future. There’s a reason why most programs don’t lean heavily on JUCO transfers, who are like FBS transfers in the way they enter a program with a reduced number of years of eligibility.

McElwain sought a lot of transfers because he didn’t have a lot of choices following Muschamp’s mismanagement. Mac wasn’t sterling at roster management either, but Mullen has explicitly signed UF up for the transfer treadmill. So far it’s working, and if the NCAA gets around to approving a much-discussed rule allowing all players one transfer without sitting out a year, a lot of programs will jump right in alongside Florida.

The trick is that if you stumble on the transfer treadmill, you’re setting yourself up for years of being under the 85 limit. That doesn’t necessarily have to be catastrophic outcome, but it does reduce margin of error. It’s a choice that’s not free of tradeoffs.

The Gators have three of the 247 Composite’s top 25 players from 2018 and three of the top 20 players from 2020. All but Gervon Dexter were transfers. It is working for Mullen in a way it never came close to for McElwain.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Below is not the entire article but it is most of it...

How Dan Mullen extended and improved Florida’s run of bringing in transfers

How Dan Mullen extended and improved Florida’s run of bringing in transfers | GatorCountry.com

So because he can't recruit a full roster, he is dependent on the transfer portal... and he isn't even the best at it. That might be Oklahoma or Ohio State because they use it and get into the playoffs. This seems more like I know this is a schit situation so I'm going to say nice things about an aspect he has been good at. Lipstick on a pig.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't think it was possible someone could be a worse recruiter than Butters. I was wrong.

Arnold was a five star safety from Florida who we lead for most of the year. In the last two weeks the staff decided they were full at safety And wanted to take the last two weeks off To go on vacation. They did not even send him an NLI to sign. They just said we’re only going to work with portal kids. Who we can work with for the spring And can go on vacation now.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
So because he can't recruit a full roster, he is dependent on the transfer portal... and he isn't even the best at it. That might be Oklahoma or Ohio State because they use it and get into the playoffs. This seems more like I know this is a schit situation so I'm going to say nice things about an aspect he has been good at. Lipstick on a pig.

I'm sure their conference, and OOC, opponents have zero bearing on this. :whistle:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arnold was a five star safety from Florida who we lead for most of the year. In the last two weeks the staff decided they were full at safety And wanted to take the last two weeks off To go on vacation. They did not even send him an NLI to sign. They just said we’re only going to work with portal kids. Who we can work with for the spring And can go on vacation now.
:shambles:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure their conference, and OOC, opponents have zero bearing on this. :whistle:

You play who you play... They don't sit in a recruiting hotbed of the State of Florida either. But you love to defend you some Mullen, which is also why you put this article in this thread. You have a pattern and a history. It shows you love some Mullen, even if his results haven't earned that loyality.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You play who you play... They don't sit in a recruiting hotbed of the State of Florida either. But you love to defend you some Mullen, which is also why you put this article in this thread. You have a pattern and a history. It shows you love some Mullen, even if his results haven't earned that loyality.

As do you and anybody else here.

Yes, put me in the column of wanting to keep Mullin.

I see nobody better knocking on the door, or even posting that they're available, and am happy with the progress he has made with the program while also being able to see his deficiencies as well as those of our administration.

As to me posting the article in this thread, I did so because it's on topic and relevant. I guess you wanted me to pile on. Sorry to disappoint you.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I know we have said this several times here, but do we know for a fact that Arnold didn't get an NLI from us because we figured we were fine at safety? Or was it he told us not to bother because he was down to just Ugly and Bama?

If it's the former that's inexcusable; as awful as our safety play has been, a serious infuse of talent is and has been needed and from everything I read this guy was a real deal. If it's the latter that's inexcusable too; a guy we lead for heading into the homestretch should always a priority for the whole staff until the deal is closed and we should never drop the ball so bad he tells not to even bother sending the NLI.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As do you and anybody else here.

Yes, put me in the column of wanting to keep Mullin.

I see nobody better knocking on the door, or even posting that they're available, and am happy with the progress he has made with the program while also being able to see his deficiencies as well as those of our administration.

As to me posting the article in this thread, I did so because it's on topic and relevant. I guess you wanted me to pile on. Sorry to disappoint you.

You did it because you are ok in making excuses for someone who selling "relentless effort" while not applying it himself Who shows a lack of professionalism while representing the school. What progress has he truly made? We were a 4 loss team in a year with one of the best offensive outputs in school history? It's as bad as Muschamp lost year in 2012.

Butters was a failure, but at least he wrote his own check out. Mullens lies though not as damning as death threats, are the type of lies that keep us middling for another decade.

The administration is bad and he is just as bad. It wasn't the administration that changed the culture at UF, it was Head Coaches Pell forced that changes, Spurrier forced change, and Meyer forced change. Hell Butters has forced more change in the Administration that Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator