Mullen/Urban/Spurrier: First 32 Games

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Well, one title technically. And keep in mind, he won exactly 1 in his final 5 seasons. As I've said, landscapes change.

You'll never hear me bad mouth '91 because it was not only a ridiculously good team that should've been playing for it all, but also was very special because of the official first SEC crown. But as much as we technically were first in the SEC in 1990, we ended with the same record as the vols, but were also smoked 45-3 in the head to head. I can't even imagine the uproar if Mullen ever tried to claim a title of any sort in a season that featured a loss like that. And '92 had 3 blowout losses(one to Msu) and was the definition of "backing in" to Birmingham. It would've been no different than Auburn beating uga last year and giving us the East title. They didn't lose, '92 tenn did. Only difference. So again, I think we can favorably remember things without looking at the whole picture.

The fact that we're pacing a trip to Atlanta with a chance for an SEC and/or NC is very comparable to those '91 and '06 seasons. I'm not equating Mullen with two all time greats. Just stating there are other measurables that have to be considered.
Actually the Vols lost one and tied one so we were champs at 6-1 to their 5-1-1. We were undisputed champs in 90 also.

I don't think Mullen is to the level of the other 2 but there are only a couple coaches in the game today who are. Mullen can win the NC this year if he doesn't get too cute or too conservative. It remains to be seen if he can. But I'll enjoy this ride. It's nice to know the Gators can drop half a hundred on any one at any time. It's been a long time.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen can win the NC this year if he doesn't get too cute or too conservative. It remains to be seen if he can.

This is what kind of scares me about Johnson this year, he has a Kellen Moore aspect to him. Kellen Moore who was a vast upgrade for play-calling for the Dallas Cowboys, will call a solid game then run a double reverse in a 3rd and 1 situation.

Johnson vs USCe while fully in the lead against USCe in the late 3rd early 4th while the defense had spent too much time on the field ran three straight passes two of which were 18 yard out routes (which isn't a strength for Trask) the ball was late and behind (almost picked) when all we needed to do was continue with what was already working. He did the same thing against UGA. This is his first year calling plays, so hopefully he will mature (Moore hasn't yet).

Trask is playing like a great college quarterback, and Johnson is a vast up grade over Mullen calling plays for Trask.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Actually the Vols lost one and tied one so we were champs at 6-1 to their 5-1-1. We were undisputed champs in 90 also.

I don't think Mullen is to the level of the other 2 but there are only a couple coaches in the game today who are. Mullen can win the NC this year if he doesn't get too cute or too conservative. It remains to be seen if he can. But I'll enjoy this ride. It's nice to know the Gators can drop half a hundred on any one at any time. It's been a long time.

You are correct on 1990. I forgot about their tie with Auburn. But really my point wasn’t to take anything away from that year, but rather it was about the reaction some here would have of Mullen claimed a title in a year where he was beaten 45-3.

And what I mean by backing in in ‘92 is that we needed to have a division team, who’d beaten us, lose so that we could get back in the race. The same thing happened in 2016. Yes, we took care of our business, but it’s irrelevant if that team doesn’t stumble. Technically that applies to both ‘92 and ‘90. But again, not bashing either season, especially ‘90. We just took some lumps in those years as well that don’t get mentioned much.

Your second part is exactly my position. No one knows what Mullen can or will do. But if nothing else, you have to love getting back to going into virtually any game thinking and knowing we have a chance, and not sweating in the lead up to even the bad teams.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not nearly as pitiful as your posts. You're just a fanboi type that wouldn't criticize Mullen if he went to midfield in the middle of a game and took a dump. You'd say he was just trying to install the proper fertilizer. stephenPE busts a nut when he sees you post something. They would absolutely love you at Swamp Gas.

In the meantime, the adults over here will discuss the coaching staff realistically and honestly. Without Franks getting hurt, Trask would have ended up in the ash heap of football history. Trask has dragged Mullen kicking and screaming into a terrific offense. Next year will be a huge step back - but at least Mullen will be happier. He absolutely MUST have a running-QB dimension (whether it works or not) or he feels like some kind of failure. It's a mental illness that a lot of coaches seem to have now.

Hey Mullen, believe it or not a prototypical drop-back passer that can't run a lick can actually dominate and win games - a lot of them.

Ah, the personal attack for the crime of disagreeing, while not actually responding to the post. You know, rage is really not a substitute for intellect among those with at least average reading comprehension.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, the personal attack for the crime of disagreeing, while not actually responding to the post. You know, rage is really not a substitute for intellect among those with at least average reading comprehension.
No one has described Ox as above average.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well under Spurrier and Meyer I expected we'd score every drive. And I feel that way again.
Eventually under Spurrier and Meyer I expected to win every game too. Can't say that about Mullen yet.
Frustrating thing is Mullen could get there if he'd just fire some coaches.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, when will you be becoming a Supporting Member?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ox treats you a lot better if you give him money. Every time he's mean to me, I send him more money. It seems to work, mostly. I suggest a lifetime membership.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
difference is we had a defense that also was near equally adept at stopping other offenses. Look at the point spread per game for each team. I'm confident the number will be much different and that stat is much more telling imo

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
difference is we had a defense that also was near equally adept at stopping other offenses. Look at the point spread per game for each team. I'm confident the number will be much different and that stat is much more telling imo

It’s probably not, honestly. In both 93 and 94, we averaged giving up 20 points per game in conference play. We’re giving up 28 this year. Basically a one score difference. Now, those years we obviously weren’t good enough to win it all, but we did at least win the SEC. Some hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb