Mullen's Monday Media Melee

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I was very disappointed when we hired Dan.
Me as well.

I think he’s going to turn this ship around.
We know he will turn it around somewhat. He's going to win 7-8 games a season. How far will he go beyond that is a WAG. I think he needs a lot of help and luck recruiting. This staff is just mediocre at recruiting. They were decent at Miss St by that school's historical standard, but not great. They clearly are not a polished recruiting force, but hopefully that will change. What Mullen needs most to help his systems are strong trenches(obvious) a great QB, and a couple all-world playmakers. If he doesn't get those(and it's up to him) he will be Mark Richt and we will suffer for four seasons until his buddy AD is forced to start looking.

I have a good memory, which can be a bad thing. I have not forgotten the staff apparently let Matt Corral leave and that Mullen seemingly milked Seider for all he was worth then let him go by offering a less than deserved position. I hope it works out for the players and fans but I have DM on a short leash. And if I were his AD buddy from Miss St I would definitely be concerned about recruiting.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Mullen was just asked if one of the QBs separated themselves at last night's scrimmage, and he actually said that "he wasn't paying that much attention....they are just trying to get them ready for the game." WTF?
I wonder if he's serious. I guess there is the hope he is playing the game, playing the media. I think he's torn and there is no clear leader yet.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I wonder if he's serious. I guess there is the hope he is playing the game, playing the media. I think he's torn and there is no clear leader yet.

Sure, he’s dodging the media.

Until there’s real clarity or an incumbent, coaches want everyone competing until the last minute. I won’t be surprised if the “starter” announcement for game 1 comes with a disclaimer that “someone has to take the first snap” but they’re all still in it.

It has always been thus...

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I was very disappointed when we hired Dan.

I have to say now I like this guy. Just seems to be a good guy and is very positive. I think he’ll make the necessary adjustments to take advantage of an opportunity of a lifetime.

I think he’s going to turn this ship around.

This

and Thank you for your service - Ooooh Rah for the Devil Dawgs

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

My disappointment was more about really wanting Frost and not getting him.

I don’t pay attention to coach speak. I just have a good feeling that he is going to step up and answer the challenge. He’ll have to make some staff adjustments so we’ll see within a year.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Me as well.

We know he will turn it around somewhat. He's going to win 7-8 games a season. How far will he go beyond that is a WAG. I think he needs a lot of help and luck recruiting. This staff is just mediocre at recruiting. They were decent at Miss St by that school's historical standard, but not great. They clearly are not a polished recruiting force, but hopefully that will change. What Mullen needs most to help his systems are strong trenches(obvious) a great QB, and a couple all-world playmakers. If he doesn't get those(and it's up to him) he will be Mark Richt and we will suffer for four seasons until his buddy AD is forced to start looking.

I have a good memory, which can be a bad thing. I have not forgotten the staff apparently let Matt Corral leave and that Mullen seemingly milked Seider for all he was worth then let him go by offering a less than deserved position. I hope it works out for the players and fans but I have DM on a short leash. And if I were his AD buddy from Miss St I would definitely be concerned about recruiting.

I agree with most of what you said...especially Seider. I loved Corral but I accept he just wasn’t going to fit in this offense. I do believe DM will 10 games a year minimum. It will take adjustments to get to 11-15 needed to win championships. I think he will make those adjustments. He knows without championships he’s gone.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe this is Mullen's way - i.e. don't commit. (that explains recruiting results)

He repeats : "It's coming around. He's coming around.".... "The guys are trying"...
"The guys are learning." - It's like they've never played football before ??
Reporter asks for DM to comment on how it's going with blocking ?
Mullen launched into explaining all the components of blocking : foot position, where to place your hands, etc. No player names mentioned.

So please, no more depress-briefings 'til he's ready to describe some real player & team info. Actually, I like what I can project is Mullen's personality. I'm betting he'll be a good CEO for the Gators. We've waited a long enough time.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
My disappointment was more about really wanting Frost and not getting him.

I don’t pay attention to coach speak. I just have a good feeling that he is going to step up and answer the challenge. He’ll have to make some staff adjustments so we’ll see within a year.
Do you really think he's going to make those adjustments? He didnt make them when he came to here. He has known his staff for many years and knew they were not strong recruiters but chose to bring them with him anyway. I fear he will wait to late before making changes and it will be to late for him. And I don't think its 1-2 changes that need to be made I think it's more 3-4

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Do you really think he's going to make those adjustments? He didnt make them when he came to here. He has known his staff for many years and knew they were not strong recruiters but chose to bring them with him anyway. I fear he will wait to late before making changes and it will be to late for him. And I don't think its 1-2 changes that need to be made I think it's more 3-4

I can't disagree more. Mullen is a very Strong Coach and he'll be a strong recruiter

Last edited:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

I think he brought his staff over thinking it would be easier to install his system. He will quickly adjust to the need for elite recruiters. I do not think he will be stubborn.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I agree with most of what you said...especially Seider. I loved Corral but I accept he just wasn’t going to fit in this offense. I do believe DM will 10 games a year minimum. It will take adjustments to get to 11-15 needed to win championships. I think he will make those adjustments. He knows without championships he’s gone.
Thanks. The only thing I would say about Corral is that his film is very shifty. Some plays look like he handed the ball to RB but then took off running and ran well. Others were great pass plays(excellent arm and accuracy). On others he manipulated his body and techniques so that it is very difficult to know where he was going with the ball. I just thought he looked great and more polished than others we pursued. Perhaps staff just saw some things I missed and knew things we could not.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He likes Mullen because he reminds him of the South Florida coach.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks. The only thing I would say about Corral is that his film is very shifty. Some plays look like he handed the ball to RB but then took off running and ran well. Others were great pass plays(excellent arm and accuracy). On others he manipulated his body and techniques so that it is very difficult to know where he was going with the ball. I just thought he looked great and more polished than others we pursued. Perhaps staff just saw some things I missed and knew things we could not.

I agree. I loved that kid and see him having a Rex Grossman type career at Ole Miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb