Votes: 70 29.3%
  • B+

Votes: 28 11.7%

• Total voters

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I've kept my powder dry for most of the season, and have been waiting until the end of the year to really vocalize my opinions. I wasn't very happy with the Mullen hire initially. I kinda felt like we settled, because no one else was available. I admit that I thought Kelly or Frost would've been a better hire at the time, but now I am very happy that we dodged those bullets. I was wrong.

In fact, Mullen has impressed me quite a bit this year. Much more than I thought he would. Like Law said, I like him a lot more than I ever imagined I would. I think we have a really good coach. Is he a great coach? Not yet. He must learn how to recruit at a higher level to be considered great, in my opinion. However, when it comes to game time adjustments, I am pleasantly surprised with this staff's ability to turn the ship around during a game. That is a true testament to Mullen, and his staff. He deserves a lot of credit for that. Though, he also deserves criticism for the losses to UK and Mizzou. The team hadn't quite fully invested yet when we lost to UK, and were too raw to maintain an elite level for the MO game. Both are partially on Dan, but there were some depth and youth issues, as well. A coach can only do so much, and the two before him did not do him any favors.

All in all, I give him a B+. We are close, but we still have a long way to go. Recruiting issues and consistency must be addressed. Will he get us there? I don't know. But I am much more optimistic about Mullen than I ever thought I could be.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Imo amything less that an A or A+ is just being too critical. We are 10-3 a year after being 4-7 with largely the same team. Mullen did it without his players...and he did it with Felipe Franks at QB. Mullen should win coach of the year, hands down.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
B+

Can’t break the Kentucky streak, get shellacked by a bottom feeding Missouri on homecoming, lose to UGA, and have substandard recruiting and still qualify for an A. Better than I expected but meeting expectations would get a C.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I went B+ only because there wasn’t a B option. You don’t lose at home to Kentucky and as well as Mizzu and receive an A if any kind.
I gave an A- but I heard that. The defense didn't show for either of those games, and Franks was, er, eh, well Franks. The only upside is that leaves a huge room for improvement.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
B+

Can’t break the Kentucky streak, get shellacked by a bottom feeding Missouri on homecoming, lose to UGA, and have substandard recruiting and still qualify for an A. Better than I expected but meeting expectations would get a C.
I hear the frustrations and I concur up to a point, but with 10 wins, a several coming against ranked rather than just "rank" opponents, it's got to be better than a C.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If we get an A, what does Bama get?
My middle finger and little else. Mullen and this team get much credit for turning a sh#T show into something we are proud of again. To lay an egg against a damned good UK team at home and then not tucking tail and begin whining and pointing fingers (like happened here) spoke volumes about this group. They hung together. They got better and stronger. I think the most amazing thing to me was watching so many teams we played have injuries or cramps each game and we just played as if we were encased in steel. Some of you don't like the QB. He was booed and denigrated and given little respect. All he did was keep moving forward like the rest of the team and lead us to wins. And got some attitude. Good for him. I want attitude. After last year you can tell these boys are proud of what they did and not afraid to show emotion. If that's what it takes to get back to the football we saw from 90 to 2007 I am good with it. SOS changed a mindset when he took over this program. He made us believe. Dan has done a lot of that the first year. I heard Steve interviewed before the game and all he could say was us and we in regards to this team. He has bought in. His purchase is all I need to know.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I gave him a solid A. No one believed we would’ve won 10 games with a bowl win over a Top 10 team a year ago. No one!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
A for me, and the only reason it wasn't an A+ is this recruiting class not being stronger with FSU and Miami in the gutter. This was a mentally beaten-down team, so I'm willing to forgive the hideous UK and Missouri games, as those bumps in the road are going to happen in rebuilding mode.

Excited about the future.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
A+. To do what he did with Franks was unbelievable IMO. Yeah he lost some home games but finished strong, destroying FSU and Harbigan and leaving this team feeling good about itself again. I'd give our fan base a D.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It’s an A and he earned it. I think the most optimistic expectation coming in with this roster was 9 wins. Michigan clearly has out recruited us (as has FSU) the past 4 years, and Harbaugh is in his 4th year. And we curb stomped them both to finish the year. With Franks. Coach did an amazing job.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A. Gotta grade the curve. Mac left a roster with holes, but more importantly there was an attitude deficit that had to be dealt with.

Mullen instilled effort, discipline and fight, and he schemed offensively like no one else around these parts since, well, Dan Mullen.

I'll put a plus sign behind the A if we finish strong on NSD.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I went with A- right now because we're not in the Top 8 recruiting. If he can make this blowout turn into a sudden burst of momentum with some surprise guys I think you have to give him a good solid A.

Personally I'm hoping for a flip of one of FSU's safeties, two of the solid crop of SDEs from Mississippi or Fuller and maybe sway Elam and Bogle plus a surprise somewhere. The guys being pulled hard by the Canes have to be looking at the contrast in outcomes and noise and the system. We need to take advantage.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I gave A+. Show me another coach that could take last year's Mac-developed shyteshow, blow the azznoles off Ron Zook field and finish 10-3. Then the Top Ten blowout of Michigan, who we had never beaten in 4 tries. We lost to KY and Mizzou at home as the team was still clearly rebuilding, not the final product we saw yesterday with the physical beat-down of Michigan. The last 2 wins were dominations - beating the holes and UM like red-headed stepchillins. This is peaking at the right time displaying the steady improvement of the team under great coaching. And he did the impossible in my book by making a serious QB asset out of Franks. Recruiting will come with the success. Not everything went right this year, but for performance, Mullen has to be COY.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
As I've seen mentioned on twitter multiple times this week, no UF coach has ever won 10 games and a bowl in their first season until Mullen. He did that with a 4 win team that had no S&C program, inept coaching and shot confidence from the prior coaching staff. He did that with Franks at QB, a player we had all completely given up on if we had ever even believed in to start. Mullen is an A+ coach with the only real questions surrounding his recruiting so I gave an A. This was a fun year outside a couple moments, we slayed our FSU demons and that pick six against LSU had me more hyped than I've been in awhile. The future is bright with Mullen.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
B+

Agree.

B- with the possibility of moving to B+ on Feb 6th.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I gave A+. Show me another coach that could take last year's Mac-developed shyteshow, blow the azznoles off Ron Zook field and finish 10-3. Then the Top Ten blowout of Michigan, who we had never beaten in 4 tries. We lost to KY and Mizzou at home as the team was still clearly rebuilding, not the final product we saw yesterday with the physical beat-down of Michigan. The last 2 wins were dominations - beating the holes and UM like red-headed stepchillins. This is peaking at the right time displaying the steady improvement of the team under great coaching. And he did the impossible in my book by making a serious QB asset out of Franks. Recruiting will come with the success. Not everything went right this year, but for performance, Mullen has to be COY.
The Tuna fish be right.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I gave him an A and if recruiting were better I would go A+. This guy (who I did not want) pulled out a miracle with these players. The moral was rock bottom and several players were on the verge of quitting. He took 3 star talent and got them in top physical shape and somehow convinced them that they could win. We saw a struggling QB come to life and had the fewest number of injuries in forever. Yes we lost some and that sucked but this team believed even after they lost and that is something that we haven't seen in years. Can we go to the top? I don't know but things are the best they have been in many years and I am ok with that. Happy New Year and go gators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator