Music On Your Mind v.2

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Never was a huge Foreigner fan(nothing against them either-just wasn't my fav music), but after stumbling onto this I walked away impressed. Seeing more of these types of things with a traditional orchestra backing the group up, and they almost always end up being great. This is too IMO.

By the way, note the sax player for Foreigner--excellent job in this.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

The version of Wonderful Tonight on this and the 24 Nights album are by far the best he ever did. Nine minutes long so this is his expanded version (1:20:00 mark-1:29:30.) Katie Kissoon doing her haunting vocals about 7 minutes into it (1:27:00 mark), is unprecedented and amazing. He changed the pattern of the song ever so slightly over the years--slowing down, going acoustic, shortening it, etc. several variations.....but if you listen to all his different versions, THIS one surpasses them all. It's not even close. I'm biased with this song because it has a special place and meaning for me but all that aside---this version is off the charts.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My 8 year old found this song and turned us, introduced us, onto it. Not the video, I’m just posting it, but the song. 8 year old.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
A tribute to one of the most talented, yet under-appreciated musicians and writers in the last half century--Jeff Lynne of ELO. So many folks have no idea that Lynne was more involved in other groups songs than simply ELO. He's probably written more songs than the next ten writers combined. His keyboard player here had been together in ELO with Lynne 40 years at that time, which was 2013. That's longevity we're not likely to see again. Up there in rare air with the likes of the Stones and a handful of others. Small handful too.

I don't think Jeff has combed his hair once in those 40 years either.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A tribute to one of the most talented, yet under-appreciated musicians and writers in the last half century--Jeff Lynne of ELO. So many folks have no idea that Lynne was more involved in other groups songs than simply ELO. He's probably written more songs than the next ten writers combined. His keyboard player here had been together in ELO with Lynne 40 years at that time, which was 2013. That's longevity we're not likely to see again. Up there in rare air with the likes of the Stones and a handful of others. Small handful too.

Always loved ELO! Great talent stands the test of time.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Perhaps his best band lineup ever?

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

Perhaps his best band lineup ever?

ELO is one of those groups that so many of us grew up listening to them "in real time" as they were developing, and almost taking their stuff for granted at the time. Then when we listen to them years later(as in now), it boggles your brain to realize how may commercial hits they had(and you still know the words immediately after 20-30 years). They were successful for non-commercial tunes but the sheer number of hits they had is actually mind blowing.

It wasn't until years later that I took the time to learn more about Jeff Lynne and gained so much respect for him. Thinking about all the truly big names he's been involved with, and the artists HE actually wrote music for seems to go over many peoples' heads. He is one the honest to God giants in the music business but isn't one of those every day recognizable names for so many folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.