Music On Your Mind v.2

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Today was Gatemouth Brown's birthday. I saw him once, with about a 15 pc band, in the mid 80s. I'd never seen a band that big on stage. Clarence played about 10 different instruments himself. Guitar, fiddle, harmonica, horns, drums, everything. He was brilliant. While suffering from heart disease, emphysema, and then lung cancer, he lost his home and all belongings to Hurricane Katrina. He passed away two weeks later.

Last edited:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
45 years ago this week, SNL had the first Blues Brothers skit. 'Hey Bartender'
Steve Martin was the host, and did this skit.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
After 11 years I hope to finally see this artist play some acoustic. This guitar is a 1932 National Triolian he recently had refurbished. Its a piece of art even before its picked up. Davy is touring Florida in late June. St Aug, Sanford, and Boca Raton.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Mike Ledbetter tragically passed away from epilepsy and a fall at home in 2019. He and Monster Mike Welch made 1 album together, 'Right Place, Right Time'. He was a trained opera singer who loved the blues. I was lucky to meet him at a festival in 2015 and chat for a few minutes. He was cool, classy, and humble. I was just checking for new posts from last weekend's event at Ospel, but found this gem recently posted, from 2018.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
One band most people have heard of, but hard to find many who have ever seen them....at least nowadays. Back in their hey-day, they were huge. Highly unusual in the fact they utilized a flute in their music...as in rare. I never saw them in person, but everyone I have ever come across who has seen them ALL said the same thing: they were THE BEST live performance of any group they ever saw. Without fail. It was surprising to say the least. Most of these folks were the kind who saw everyone in rock....Stones, The Who, Grateful Dead, Allman Bros., Doobies, Eagles, KISS, etc...all the super heavy hitters of the day in the 70's and many still are to this day. Yet among a list of those groups, Jethro Tull stood head and shoulders as the consensus best live performance that took people's breath away.

Last edited:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Dylan Triplett is a singer and winner of Best Emerging Artist at the Blues Music Awards last week. His debut album 'who is he?' features Kingfish playing guitar on this single.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
One band most people have heard of, but hard to find many who have ever seen them....at least nowadays. Back in their hey-day, they were huge. Highly unusual in the fact they utilized a flute in their music...as in rare. I never saw them in person, but everyone I have ever come across who has seen them ALL said the same thing: they were THE BEST live performance of any group they ever saw. Without fail. It was surprising to say the least. Most of these folks were the kind who saw everyone in rock....Stones, The Who, Grateful Dead, Allman Bros., Doobies, Eagles, KISS, etc...all the super heavy hitters of the day in the 70's and many still are to this day. Yet among a list of those groups, Jethro Tull stood head and shoulders as the consensus best live performance that took people's breath away.

Saw thm in Pensacola in the 90s. Great show.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
39 years ago this week I was in Cleveland Public Hall. David Gilmour in concert, the 'About Face' tour. He also played 'Money', 'Run Like Hell', and the encore was 'Comfortably Numb'.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Mike Zito's wife was diagnosed w/ stage 4 pancreatic cancer last year. Now she is beginning hospice care. This is so heartbreaking.

Laura Zito Cancer Support, organized by MICHAEL ZITO

Never heard of these guys before but they were pretty good. Definitely could hear several influences in that track---Allman Bros was scattered all throughout and even more than obvious when they threw in the Jessica lick towards the end, but there was some Marshall Tucker sounds and an assortment of a few other southern bands from the past. There was a short bit where the Hammond B3 organ kicked in for a solo, and that had both Deep Purple and Uriah Heep sounds in it. The B3 is unique enough but there's something about the chords played that screamed of both bands almost simultaneously. Really nice. Something I've never seen before--Purple & Heep mixed with southern rock. A very unusual fusion there. But it worked quite well.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Albert Castiglia ( Ka-Steel-Ya ) is from south Florida, first went on tour w/ Junior Wells then made his own band when Junior retired. He can play a mean guitar and is a strong vocalist. Has plenty of records published and won plenty of awards. Albert is a force in blues/rock.
Mike is from Texas, grew up in STL. He has a lot of albums, great songs and plenty of awards too. He was in Royal Southern Brotherhood w/ Devon Allman for awhile. Mike's label is Gulf Coast Records, he produces other artists. He is a recovered addict, as humble and grateful as anyone you ever met. I met him about 10 years ago, it was 95* in the shade, and he was greeting fans after the show. I've seen many shows since, 3 or 4 a year and talked many times about whatever. I saw him last July right after they revealed her diagnosis. He wore all purple and said they were going to fight it hard, and they did. I wish he stopped touring sooner to be with her. I've seen Mike 3 or 4 times since last summer and he was putting on a brave face each time.
The keyboard player is Lewis Stephens, when he was young he was playing w/ Freddie King ('73-'76) and he's still got it! He does home remodel projects when he's off the road. We keep up with each other on instagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb